Pulling the Trigger in hopes of correcting oil consumption
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Pulling the Trigger in hopes of correcting oil consumption in Cadillac SRX Forums; So tomorrow is the big day when I take the SRX to the dealer, approve a very expensive tear down, ...
    marcwsu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX V6 AWD

Pulling the Trigger in hopes of correcting oil consumption

So tomorrow is the big day when I take the SRX to the dealer, approve a very expensive tear down, and hope the extended warranty will then kick in. I burn a minimum of 1 qt every thousand miles. I have tracked my consumption since 12/2012 with it progressively getting worse. My extended warranty will run out soon and in speaking with my dealer rep, he said they it is likely due for a piston re-ring, has a cracked piston or another issue. The problem is that I have to authorize (and potentially be on the hook for a very expensive teardown) so that we can find the problem and submit to the warranty for repair. If they cover it, they will pay for everything including teardown.

My timing covers are leaking also. Not enough to justify that type of consumption. I'm hoping and praying that all ends well and I can finally correct this issue. I am also thinking that since they need to reseal the timing covers... I will find out the condition of the chains and guides and see a replacement for those... I get the start up rattle that is fairly loud so I assume slack is there.

I shall keep everyone updated once I go through this new escapade... Either I'll have a great repair(and save some $$$) or I'll be broke with the same broken engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Welcome to my srx lol

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Re: Pulling the Trigger in hopes of correcting oil consumption

What model year is your SRX? Has excessive oil consumption been an issue since new?... or did it start after a period of time?
    Hope you are successful. So far at 62000 miles oil consumption has been nil on my 07. Which was bought new.

marcwsu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX V6 AWD

I have a 2006 model year that was built in 1/2006. I would say it always had some sort of consumption issue that was minor around 28k... getting worse around 50k... really bad at 100k (it was blown off by another dealership as the vehicle needing throttle body service) and now I have about 135k. If you haven't had any problems so far... you are one of the few lucky ones!

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Good luck on your quest, and please post results if possible.

As an aside to those with similar issues, remember that at 20 mpg every 1000 miles costs 200 bucks in fuel ($4/gal).
    So an additional 4 bucks for a quart of oil isn't terrible by comparison (realizing it's a pain in the neck to keep topping off)

Pinhauler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 v6 SRX

My SRX must be marcwsu SRX's twin brother !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.