Same Size Tires on AWD - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Same Size Tires on AWD in Cadillac SRX Forums; Wider tires for better traction in snow, that's new please explain how that works....
    conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: Same Size Tires on AWD

Wider tires for better traction in snow, that's new please explain how that works.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

If you go outside do you wear high heels or snowshoes at the north pole?

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
    If you go outside do you wear high heels or snowshoes at the north pole?
    Interesting question, but I think it's well accepted that a narrow tire "cuts through" snow conditions better.
    With snowshoes you're looking for less unit loading to float on top of the snow pack.
    With a snow tire, you're looking for more unit loading to get down to the pavement (if possible).

Quote Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
    Interesting question, but I think it's well accepted that a narrow tire "cuts through" snow conditions better.
    With snowshoes you're looking for less unit loading to float on top of the snow pack.
    With a snow tire, you're looking for more unit loading to get down to the pavement (if possible).
    Umm, ya what he said.

When in doubt turn to racing for the answer, until you see WRC cars with big tires for winter events I will stick with narrow.

Think about a dually and why you need more wheels when moving large loads.

rcssr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS COUPE AWD

Lots of opinions and information which is great, but does anyone KNOW why GM did this? My Corvette has two different sizes front to rear and that is for a traction/handling issue. My CTS (non V is a whole different animal in both catagories. To me that would be the same as putting Z rated on my 3.6 machine, try as I might it wil not 'light them up'.

For looks IMO.

Z rated is a speed rating and does not mean they stick better or worse than another tire.

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by rcssr View Post
    Lots of opinions and information which is great, but does anyone KNOW why GM did this? My Corvette has two different sizes front to rear and that is for a traction/handling issue. My CTS (non V is a whole different animal in both catagories. To me that would be the same as putting Z rated on my 3.6 machine, try as I might it wil not 'light them up'.
    This goes back about 15 yrs so my memory is not too good...but I think they were using the BMW X5 as a handling benchmark and wanted to exceed it for advertising purposes...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.