Cadillac Owners Forum banner

should i buy a 2005 SRX

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  conedoctor 
#1 ·
Hi

Hi I am contemplating buying a 2005 srx with between 175k kms for $6500. I will be driving from Toronto to Saskatoon while towing a trailer with a couple suitcases, a couch set and a bed. I am ok with gas consumption because i wont be driving around too much once there. the main factor is reliability and comfort. the drive is approximately 2600kms. I might do the same in a few years if i decide to return. I have read great reviews on these cars and horrible reviews as well. a bit confused. any help would be greatly appreciated. also even if given specifics of problem areas to look at closely ad critique would go a long way. thanks and God Bless Muteeb

#2 ·
V8 or V6? V8, maybe, if you have it checked out thoroughly. V6, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!
You said "reliability and comfort". Would you settle for just comfort?

I had the 2004 V8 (Thank God), and if I knew then what I know now, I'd have not bought it.

Harsh words, I know, but you asked, and I've got to call 'em as I see 'em.

#3 ·
Constant lower control arm failures, ultra view sunroof leaking flooding the spare tire area, oil consumption premature timing chain failure, horrible gas mileage, drl bulbs going out and lots of fun changing those if you don't know the trick. Headlight switch failure, etc. Just my used 2006 point of view and I didn't have the sunroof that is just a frequent discussion on here.

#6 ·
Seems like some are in better shape than others. I had some issues but I bought it used and reasonably you have to expect some wear and tear parts to be replaced eventually. Overall I love my 2005 SRX. I also think these models are nicer looking than the 2010 and later models. You should be aware about what the SRX in question comes loaded with. I was fortunate enough to get one with a GPS system installed (you can watch movies in it when parked) and 3rd row seating with the big sunroof. If you are looking online be aware that some reviews are of base models that lack some features.

#9 ·
Bought my '05 used as well 3 years ago. Had/having same issues with Whiplash_89. It will also depends on your driving style, and the environment you're driving in. It's a nice car, if you're willing to take the time, money(quite a bit of change), and effort to maintain the car. Also just FYI the tires are staggered, front two are different from rear, so you can't rotate the tires :ill:

So yea...just turn-up White Walls by Macklemore and ignore the rattles inside the car :)

#11 ·
There are many potential problem areas that should concern you; many of them have been listed here. I would be very concerned about taking a recently-acquired vehicle from Toronto to Saskatoon without a few weeks or months for a shake-down; it's too nice a trip to get stuck somewhere in between on a deadline schedule. That many years and that many miles on an SRX may be putting you in the cross-hairs of a trip from hell. Or, maybe not. Good luck and God bless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.