Can P0420 not be the catalytic converter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Can P0420 not be the catalytic converter in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have a P0420 code and an appointment at the dealer under warranty. Has anyone had this not be the ...
    Jim_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX V8 RWD 2004

Can P0420 not be the catalytic converter

I have a P0420 code and an appointment at the dealer under warranty. Has anyone had this not be the catalytic converter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Re: Can P0420 not be the catalytic converter

Well, it could be the rear O2 sensor is bad, or maybe a big leak in the exhaust pipe just behind the converter; but not too likely. The only thing the system does is read the rear O2 sensor, and compare it to the front sensor. If the rear sensor reads differently, and fluctuates at a much slower pace, then the system deems the cat to be functional, Any other problems will be seen in the performance of the front sensor, and will set a code for that. Probably 95% chance it's the converter.

DG

Dealer said cat is bad but they also found misfire and lean codes. They reset the codes and since the light came on and went off 3 times but only code is P0420 bad cat. Taking it back for a new cat they just want to make money for anything they can since I have 200k warranty on cats. I'll pY them to clean injectors if that makes them happy.

frankcottnj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

yes, I ignored common sense adn gapped the iridium plugs too big and it fooled ecm into thinking cat was bad.

frank 2007 srx

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Hmmmm; yeah, I guess it makes sense that if there was an engine issue that pretty radically changed the exhaust mixture under certain driving conditions (such as a lean or miss condition) it might be possible that the computer would adjust the fuel trims within the allowable 15-20%, and the front O2 sensors would not set a code. But the rear sensors wouldn't function properly as a result of the skewed mix. Hadn't really thought about that.
    I guess a check of the fuel trims on the front sensors under various driving situations could spot the situation. Hypothetical situation; a small vacuum leak causing a lean condition at low throttle settings, but not as noticeable at larger throttle openings. This would cause large fluctuations in the fuel trims as the driving conditions/throttle position changed, and freak out the rear sensors - maybe. Might damage the cat after a while also.

DG

Well I have been very busy at work and unable to schedule another appointment but now they say they can't get me in for over a week and my odometer has topped 199K. The CEL came on 5 times since my last appointment and reset itself with no other codes than P0420. The dealer is telling me now that they can read codes that my reader cannot and is just trying to screw me out of a warranty covered repair. I had two service managers one in NJ where I bought the car and a second in MD who were both great. Suddenly I get this new guy and he really is pissing me off. Capitol Cadillac has just lost a customer as I will never go back.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_V View Post
    Well I have been very busy at work and unable to schedule another appointment but now they say they can't get me in for over a week and my odometer has topped 199K. The CEL came on 5 times since my last appointment and reset itself with no other codes than P0420. The dealer is telling me now that they can read codes that my reader cannot and is just trying to screw me out of a warranty covered repair. I had two service managers one in NJ where I bought the car and a second in MD who were both great. Suddenly I get this new guy and he really is pissing me off. Capitol Cadillac has just lost a customer as I will never go back.
    Hi Jim_V,

I received your PM and have responded. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Have a nice night,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankcottnj
    yes, I ignored common sense adn gapped the iridium plugs too big and it fooled ecm into thinking cat was bad.

frank 2007 srx

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.