Unhappy SRX owner
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sheepish
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Unhappy SRX owner in Cadillac SRX Forums; I picked up my 07 SRX in Jaunary of 2013. I was extremely happy until the last few months. My ...
    OldSchoolDMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX N*

Angry Unhappy SRX owner

I picked up my 07 SRX in Jaunary of 2013. I was extremely happy until the last few months. My first trip to the dealership cost me or $700 to replace the silicone slides and the tracks for the ultra roof.
    Then this December I learned that the intake manifold gaskets were going bad and the engine was running lean, after a $400+ visit to the dealership, wouldn't you know the left rear wheel bearing is shot.I get that replaced to the tune of $500. NOW the FRICKING check engine light is on. I checked the codes and now the engine is still running lean. WTH, did I buy what I thought to be a very good vehicle or did I buy one of the worst pieces of crap on the planet? i'M TIRED OF SINKING $$$$ MONEY into this vehicle. Now I see myself sinking at least $2500 more to get this thing right.DAMMIT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Re: Unhappy SRX owner

I think what you are experiencing is the thrill of owning a high performance cadillac product. You see, these are such incredible, high performance machines, that the parts have to be replaced frequently. This is to maintain the proper incredible driving experience. Most people who would be near 50k for a vehicle generally would think that you would have at least 100k miles of trouble free driving, and most do. But they are fools. They don't realize how much their performance has gone down over those miles of driving. Only Cadillac engineers and part purchasing teams know that true top performance is only gained by frequent replacement.

Yes, that is a touch of sarcasm. I figured I'd jump in before all the people who white knight gm/cadillac jump in and defend them, like they'll get a free car out of it or something.
    Irishwhisky1956 likes this.

It's hers is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 srx
    That was great sheepish!!!! Thanks for the laugh. I remember someone saying on here "they get upset when someone compares a price of a Kia or Hyundai to a cadillac with the same features, but they person comparing doesn't realized the performance and dynamics you are buying when you get a cadillac". Haha that's a joke itself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

I would say that such issues are definitely not the norm for the SRX, as it is normally built with a high degree of quality. Maintenance can have a lot to do with it.
    Don't buy vehicles made on Monday morning or Friday afternoon - LOL.

Dachristianman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You will quickly realize these cars are not mainteance free, however, most of the maintenance has to be accomplished shortly after you buy it in order to catch up on what the PO didn't want to take care of. My '04 was very maintenance-intense when I first purchased it, but once I got the bugs worked out, it seems to be better.

Also, it is a more technology-driven vehicle than some which will cause more issues. The more options you have, the more maintenance you have. Trust me, my log cabin doesn't require nearly the maintenance as my every-day home....but then again, indoor plumbing is nice to have when it's cold outside.

Tom

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

No car is Maintenance Free.
    If you think that is true then you are likely the typical person that causes the exact problems you are seeing now.
    Basically the type that neglects all of the maintenance that should happen and then when things start to fail due to lack of proper care you sell it and leave the mess for the next owner to take care of.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolDMC View Post
    My first trip to the dealership cost me or $700 to replace the silicone slides and the tracks for the ultra roof.
    That doesn't sound common, both of the SRXs in the family have not had issues with their Ultraview. (04 N* AWD, 06 N* AWD)
    Perhaps the previous owner did not store the SRX in a garage and the sun baked the slides?

The intake manifold gaskets were going bad and the engine was running lean
    The only times I've heard of these 'going bad' were when the intake manifold bolts were over-tightened causing the gasket to fail.
    It is common for the bolts to slowly loosen over time, so either the previous owner over-tightened them or the dealer did attempting to resolve the lean condition.
    When my STS N* was running lean it had loose intake manifold bolts, the dealer tightened them but over did it and ruined the gasket and I was back the next week still running lean. They replaced the gasket on their dime as they didn't perform a proper repair.

left rear wheel bearing is shot
    Wheel bearings can go bad, it happens... I've never had a car where I haven't needed to replace at least one at one time or another. When the fiancé had her Saturn she replaced the same wheel bearing about every 10,000 miles.

NOW check engine light is on the engine is still running lean
    Likely the intake bolts were over tightened again and caused the gasket to fail again, unless you have another leak.
    Perhaps its as simple as the air intake not being attached to the motor properly (usually the underside wasn't on all the way when clamped down) its a simple check you could do in the garage.

Now I see myself sinking at least $2500 more to get this thing right
    What more is there to do?
    If you are lean again and its the same gasket it should be covered by GM parts and labor warranty for 12m / 12,000 miles so no cost there.

What dealer are you using?
    Is it a GM dealer? Cadillac only dealer? Chevy dealer?

toddkellogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx v8

I had the run leak check engine light.

Chevy dealer put new intake man gaskets.(i had done it once before w/ aftermarket gaskets! Fail!) also replaced by cracked throttle body/intake boot. Crack on bottom. Not visibile.

Check e. Light gone.

Any leak can cause it. Be sure fuel rail n injectors are in tight. Spray starter fluid or brake cleaner around these parts of upper engine when the car is parked n running. Listen for engine waffling/erratic idle while u spray.

The only issue i have left is a surge of light throttle from a stop when car is warm. Checking fuel press n replacing filter. Anyone else on tips for this?

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Don't ever use BrakeKleen around a heat source or hot parts or burn it, death can occur and can happen faster than you may realize and cant remove yourself from the area.

So no don't use brake parts cleaner!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.