Wheel bearing?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Wheel bearing? in Cadillac SRX Forums; From those that have replaced a rear wheel bearing, can you enlighten me on the sound that is typically heard? ...
    JayTF1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Wheel bearing?

From those that have replaced a rear wheel bearing, can you enlighten me on the sound that is typically heard?

I've got a hum that starts around 45-50km/h and gets more audible as speed increases. I can't tell if its driver or passenger side. Could I 'load' or steer to one side in an attempt to make the noise louder etc?

I understand that I could potentially raise the vehicle and twist the wheel at 3/9 & 12/6, but I'm trying to diagnose while driving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Bad bearings typically "growl". I guess you could describe it as a low pitched hum, but it's close to the sound of driving over very tough asphalt.

You can load and unload the bearings by making sweeping S turns, like a race car driver warming his tires. If you hear the noise while turning right, it's the left bearing, and vice versa.

FWIW, play in the wheel at 3/6 is a bad theme rod end, 6/12 is a bad ball joint. A bad bearing will also cause play at 6/12, but it would be a very small amount of movement. It would feel more like a click than a clunk, if that makes sense.

conedoctor is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: Wheel bearing?

Maybe the car does not know the words so it hums?

Yes you can turn one way and listen for the sound to change, in all honesty for the price change both and call it done as they are the same age.

You can also pull on the wheel with the car parked on the ground just pull on the top of the wheel and get the car rocking a bit and feel for a clunk and listen, the 3-9 way works as well but just need a bit more yank.

Race car drivers are cleaning the tires not warming them, not picking a fight just saying so please don't flame me.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

After a drive, carefully feel the hub. Bad bearing will cause a very hot hub. Just reach between the wheel spokes, you can feel the difference between the rotor edge and the hub of the rotor.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

conedoctor is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

That's good thinking, I always check the trailers hubs after a trip.

Thanks for the tips.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

If that doesn't work, get a microphone and tape it near the wheel and see where the noise is coming from.

Dealer is installing new rear driver side wheel bearing. (among other fixes)

When driving on the road, I tried 'loading' the car to one side, then the other. It would change noise in both directions which didn't help with diagnosis.

They eventually did similar to what 08SRX mentioned. It was raised on the hoist and driven by one tech. while someone else listened to the rear end of the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.