Oil Consumption, Time to give up?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Oil Consumption, Time to give up? in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    jonnygm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX '08

Oil Consumption, Time to give up?

Like many others on here Iíve suffered from the oil consumption problem for quite some time. After all the trips back and forth for the oil consumption test the dealer determined whatever amount I was losing (over 1 quart per 1k miles I think) was worthy of doing a repair. I asked what happens if this doesnít fix it and they dismissed me saying ďit would fix itĒ. I checked the oil once after the repair and initial oil change and it seemed fine. Over the summer after the second oil change since repair I was going on a trip and decided to check it again, @ 60% oil life left there was nothing on the dipstick. When I brought it back into the dealership they said they could start another oil consumption test. Iíve been back 3 times now but Iím trying to decide whether I should just give up. It appears Iím only burning .5 quart per 1k miles now which is not enough to warrant further action it seems, although they havenít told me to stop coming in yet. Am I wrong in feeling that I shouldnít be going through inconvenience again and obviously the problem wasnít fixed? Iíve been buying GM Cars since I got my license and could not be more disappointed in how Iíve been treated as a Cadillac owner and the quality of this vehicle. Should I just give up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    On my srx I gave up. With way more issues. Had I known about the oil consumption at the very least timing chain failures with this engine I never would have bought it. But there are several happy owners on here too. I'm not one of them.

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Re: Oil Consumption, Time to give up?

I just don't get how GM can feel that the oil usage they get out of their v6s is 'acceptable' but their v8s don't use anything.

A quart every 1 or 2 thousand miles is a lot of oil to be using. Hell that's a 20 year old car not a 5 or 6 year old car.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

There are ways to take care of most of this....if you want me to walk you through it step by step, I would be happy to. GM is NOT going to have a fix, but we greatly reduce or eliminate thie consumption on these all the time. PM me if you want details.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

The Audi standard it 1 quart for 1000 miles, that's a bunch of oil through a 4 cylinder!

So it is not uncommon for factories to say oil usage is fine, its not good but looks like many modern engines from all the players use oil.

jcobz28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My experiences only. I am sure others will disagree with what I have found to work for me.

I purchased an 05 SRX V6 with 60k mi about 5 years ago. Ever since day 1 it has consumed way too much oil. Because it was out of warranty I never bothered taking it into the dealership for an oil consumption test, I just kept an eye on the oil level and topped it off with a half quart every weekend. While that is annoying, it was a manageable "solution" until I found that I was fouling out my spark plugs every 15,000 miles from burning the oil. The platinum plugs are expensive and its annoyingly time consuming to be doing a plug change every year. Plus my cats got fouled and I had to replace those, which thank goodness was covered by the EPA's 80k mi warranty mandate, but those would be expensive to replace again as well, and I am certain that was collateral damage from the oil burning.

So, one day while in the motor-oil isle (by the way, I always use Mobil 1 5W-30) I notice the Lucas Oil Stabilizer additive on the shelf and it' claims to reduce all sorts of engine problems, including reduced oil consumption. I am typically very skeptical of these types of products. I figured, "what the heck" and grabbed a bottle of their synthetic formula. What I can tell you is that in my vehicle the stupid stuff works. My oil consumption has been reduced dramatically. Based on my driving habits, I may have to put in a half-quart of oil every 2 months (~2,500 mi) whereas before it was every weekend (~300 to 500 miles). It literally pays for itself over the course of an oil-change from not having to put in as much costly Mobil 1 oil. At 150k mi on the motor now, and it's running the best since I've ever owned it. I too have been through the timing chain issue which I repaired myself (what a pain), and I attribute that failure to the oiling problems of this motor as well. Oh, the list could go on. I agree with repnatl's comment above, I am not a happy SRX owner. Soooo many problems with this car that can be traced down to engineering design flaws. But, DIY fixes continue to be cheaper than buying another vehicle. Try the synthetic Lucas oil additive and see if you get the same results as I did.

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Jcobz, I can't agree with you more on the Lucas. I'm definitely not an "additive" kinda guy, but it seems every time I try a lucas product, it makes a positive difference. Power steering noises go away, old trannies shift better and leak less. My buddy's Honda blew a rear main, and was literally puking oil (like drip-drip-drip while idling). Lucas at every oil change has slowed it to almost non-existent for 2 years. I don't necessarily use if for preventative maintenance (like I do Techron), but to solve a problem, it seems to be a great product line.

DG

Thanks for the input guys. I might consider trying the Lucas though I haven't used additives in years. I was surprised not to see any Cadillac support people chime in on this. Maybe they're advised what to stay away from but to me this seems like a huge customer service (and loyalty) issue.

kilrcady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 srx 1977 coupe deville

what fix is this?Everyone feels this is acceptable
    Quote Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
    There are ways to take care of most of this....if you want me to walk you through it step by step, I would be happy to. GM is NOT going to have a fix, but we greatly reduce or eliminate thie consumption on these all the time. PM me if you want details.

This is interesting (sorry if it's a repeat from earlier threads I've tried to read through them)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...sb-2007-a.html

I've never been in compliance of the following statement from day 1 "GM gasoline engines in cars and light trucks,from 1998 on, should be expected to have an oil consumption rate of one quart per 2,000 miles or greater"

so according to this bulletin

11-06-01-004c

which you can read about here:

https://www.eautorepair.net/app/TSBS...34217728&MA=15

it says to do an air cleaner housing test. How do I go about doing that?

I'm wondering if they performed that or serviced the pcv system prior to or when they originally "repaired" my SRX

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Vehicles this new shouldn't be using oil. These aren't diesel or turbo trucks. We spend how much money on the Cadillac name we should expect Cadillac reliability which is almost impossible with the 3.6 at least. I did the pcv mod and it took care of the intake and airbox issue but still used oil. Probably due to the sludge in the motor from the previous owner which I cleaned all of it out btw. But still if my 204k mile ram doesn't use any oil and its a 5.2 engine poorly maintained by my dad. Cadillacs in general drink oil from what I've experienced and seen. It's a high and luxury vehicle there isn't an excuse for consuming oil as bad as these do.

tormented is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 RW

In my opinion, excessive oil usage is caused by not breaking in the engine properly, by that I mean it was "babied" to much when it was new.
    Aggressive engine usage is required when new on these 3.6 motors to avoid cylinder wall glazing/inadequate ring seating. Once the cylinder
    walls are "glazed" nothing short of a complete rebuild will cure the problem. I bought mine used, it's an oil burner but I've accepted it and just
    keep a close eye on the oil level. 90,000 miles, still on the original timing chain, and always carry a couple qts. of Mobil 1 on board......

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by tormented View Post
    In my opinion, excessive oil usage is caused by not breaking in the engine properly, by that I mean it was "babied" to much when it was new.
    Aggressive engine usage is required when new on these 3.6 motors to avoid cylinder wall glazing/inadequate ring seating. Once the cylinder
    walls are "glazed" nothing short of a complete rebuild will cure the problem. I bought mine used, it's an oil burner but I've accepted it and just
    keep a close eye on the oil level. 90,000 miles, still on the original timing chain, and always carry a couple qts. of Mobil 1 on board......
    You nailed a good part of right on the head. And once the glaze sets, it is near impossible for any further ring seating to take place w/out a re-hone to cut it and start over. If the car is driven through a few hard acceleration/decelerations in the first 100 miles or so it is unlikely the rings will seat properly.

Then we look to the fixed orfice PCV barb. Until late 2013, when GM changed to the larger hole size (we have been posting for the past 4 years or so to do this mod) the crankcase pressure would be to great for the restriction of the tiny holes to allow it to evacuate at a proper rate so the pressure seeks the path of least resistance, and that is back out through the cleanside drawing oil in with it. The barb (located at the rear top of the passenger side valve/cam cover on conventional engine configuration, and the rear one toward the driver side on transverse) will pull out easily with a pliers gripping the base, give it a 1/4 turn to free and pull straight up. Then drill the top hole to 7/64" and the two bottom ones to 5/64" and clean of debris, reinsert and push in fully to seat. This prevents further cleanside ingestion (aside form the RX cleanside separator) and then the crankcase can properly evacuate. Then adding a proper catchcan that traps all, or nearly all the oil the ringlands that have gotten residue build up may free themselves allowing better ring seal (not to be confused with the initial ring seating) and that can solve a good deal of the issue.

Barb removed:

Below you can see how easily these clog completely adding to the oil ingestion/consumption issue:

If you want more info, let me know.

www.RevXtreme.com
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

so which is it???...too babied when new or a few hard acceleration runs when new being a likely conspirator to excessive oil consumption...?...seems to me you both contradicted each other...

thanks for the information on the PCV barb...I'll give that a look on my 2008...

Bill

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Quote Originally Posted by silversport View Post
    so which is it???...too babied when new or a few hard acceleration runs when new being a likely conspirator to excessive oil consumption...?...seems to me you both contradicted each other...

thanks for the information on the PCV barb...I'll give that a look on my 2008...

Bill
    I'm guessing it's a typo...... If the car is (probably meant to say isn't) driven through a few hard acceleration/decelerations in the first 100 miles or so it is unlikely the rings will seat properly

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.