Unable to start when cold
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Unable to start when cold in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hey Guys, My 05 Cadillac is unable to start with the Cold outside. Recently bought the Truck, so its the ...
    JSMeloche is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX V6 AWD

Unable to start when cold

Hey Guys,
    My 05 Cadillac is unable to start with the Cold outside.
    Recently bought the Truck, so its the first winter we have it.

Would old Spark plug cause this? The car as ~100k miles (168k km) and I expect its still on the original spark plugs. It is also due for an oil change (10% left)

It first started happening in the last real cold (-25c), truck would not crank. So I changed the battery. Now it cranks plenty, but wont fire.
    I MAY fire if I plug the block heater for long enough. It worked last week, then this weekend, it was -18c, truck was plugged in, yet unable to start it.
    So, it appears that under -15c, it wont start.

I was suspecting water in the fuel, I have added gas line anti-freeze, yet still have the issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Unable to start when cold

At that mileage plugs could be weak. Are you sure there are no DTCs? Personally I wouldn't wait that long for an oil change. Do you regularly check the oil level? You might also check fuel pressure.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

There are no DTC, and I plugged in HPTuner recently, no codes.
    There was only a code for the transmission shifter knob error at some point in the past. Its been cleared.

The car is due for the 100k service. So far I have done transmission, transfer case and differential oil replacement.
    Air Filters are all up to date.
    Next up is coolant flush and replace, oil change and spark plugs.
    I do not know if the fuel filter was replaced recently. Is it a serviceable item and how often is it supposed to be done?

I was scheduled to do it in the fall, but have not had time. The winter is pretty harsh this year, and I cant see myself freezing outside to get these done.

Get a gauge and check fuel pressure. Filter is just ahead of RR wheel, not too difficult to change. If you had excess moisture in the fuel tank it may have frozen in the filter. Try warming with a heat gun or hair drier.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

tormented is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 RW

Letting the oil change interval go down to 10% especially with your weather conditions, is asking for trouble. You have gone way to far and are inviting timing
    chain failure, premature engine wear and possible hard starting letting it go down to 10%. Just my opinion.......

Noted
    Car will go in dealer for oil (60$) and coolant change (149$) early next week. I will also have the fuel filter (40$) replaced.
    All the prices are from a local dealer (Myers Ottawa) and seems reasonable.

However, they want 3.5hrs (400+$) to replace the spark plugs?!? PLUS 80$ for some seals. I found the procedure on Youtube, Im willing to do it, just not in this weather. So it will wait.

JayTF1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE
    I ordered the OEM AC delco plugs from rock auto to Canada recently. Way cheaper than any price I got around the GTA.

Changing the plugs is not hard or terribly time consuming, but yes it's -20 outside.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

But you still have not mentioned checking the oil, you could be out of oil at this point, check it now if you have not.

I checked all fluid, no problem there.
    Would low oil prevent the vehicule from starting? Its cranking, at a reasonable speed (not slow because oil is too thick...) yet, it wont fire.

Make sure the clean side PCV hose is connected to the air intake duct and that all connections between air cleaner and engine are secure. And that the PCV hose isn't broken somewhere. They get brittle.

Thanks guys, all points noted.
    The truck is currently getting some body love (rear wheel wells & tailgate respray. And painting OEM rims). Once I get it back, its going in for oil change, coolant change spark plug change, I will check the PCV, and ensure all is clean.
    And a complete Krown rust-proofing.

Truck still have lots of life left in it. I just need to get on top of the backlogged maintenance from the previous owner. Hopefully that will fix the cold starting issue.

Maintenance done, all is good now. It starts in the cold

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.