Shattered Ultra-View
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Shattered Ultra-View in Cadillac SRX Forums; Check your comp. coverage Ultra-View owners - have a low deductable. My wife was heading down the road recently when ...
    akdj1055 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Shattered Ultra-View

Check your comp. coverage Ultra-View owners - have a low deductable. My wife was heading down the road recently when the roof just let go - shattered and fell into the sunshade - fortunately, the shade was closed. No loud impact - just a unique pop when it completely shattered and collapsed.

As you would expect GM won't even think of this being a defect - even with all the problems people seem to have with this roof. If they admit it's possible it could have been a defect it then becomes a safety issue and that launches the NHTSA dogs. Not to mention it's going to cost over $3,500 to repair and several weeks just for the parts to arrive. The General has lots to lose if this is a defect. The problem is determining what the exact cause was. She was driving around 55mph in light traffic when it failed - no overpasses, no kids or trucks throwing rocks and no evidence of a foreign object that might have caused it.

I hate to think what might have occurred if the shade had been open and the kids in the back seat. Note - that big piece of glass is not safety glass - only tempered glass - designed to shower you - not to stay intact like a windshield.

Not sure I can put the kids back in that vehicle after seeing the potential. Needless-to-say - the wife was a bit freaked out. We loved our SRX, but...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Shattered Ultra-View

Are you saying that the Ultraview roof was closed ? That is certainly odd if it was closed and shattered. Were you experiencing any problem with the roof prior?

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

OHHHHH---I've got a lump in my gut! What scares me is I NEVER close the sunshade! Not at night; not in the winter either (interior heat keeps the snow off).

I hope your insurance covers most of it. It should be covered under the glass portion of the policy, which is usually $50-$100 deductable.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Its tempered glass... this is the kind of glass you would WANT falling on you if it were going to do so. Otherwise it would fall in chards and certain inevitable death would ensue rapidly.

Nonetheless this is once again... absolutely ridiculous. Weve already heard the Ultraview roofs are creaky... lets hope there isnt more to that creak than meets the eye!

Its very possible heat alone could have been the culprit... this happened in my 1995 Pathfinder. The drivers window just POPPED one day and left glass all over the place. Nothing was stolen, no projectiles were found in the vehicle, and the glass was both inside and outside the truck.

lkamm is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wow! Hope this is only one occurance. Reminds me of our motor home in storage had a tempered glass break. We found a bb mixed with the glass.

I wonder if even a small bb sized rock was thrown up by a truck tire or maybe a rapid change in temperature caused the shatter??

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

That roof being standard on the V8 models is a drawback, in my opinion.

syrob@MSN.COM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv
    That roof being standard on the V8 models is a drawback, in my opinion.
    Yes, I need the headroom and now you can not get V8 without roof...

SYROB

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by akdj1055
    If they admit it's possible it could have been a defect it then becomes a safety issue and that launches the NHTSA dogs.
    You can file a complaint with the NHTSA on their website. Actually you probably should. If they get enough of them they will investigate whether GM 'admits' there is a problem or not.

Jim

mack1a is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by syrob@MSN.COM
    Yes, I need the headroom and now you can not get V8 without roof...

SYROB
    I hadn't looked and didn't realize this. So GM is forcing customers to buy the pig sunroof if I they want a V8? Wow, some GM exec must own the supplier and be desperate for volume. I suppose they have to buy the mini 3rd seat also.

This is a stupid move on the part of GM. As far as I am concerned, the performance of the 2 WD V8 and the exterior styling are the only redeeming features of the SRX. I would never pay for hi dollar features that I don't want.
    Imagine that roof in Florida... I don't think so.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by mack1a
    I hadn't looked and didn't realize this. So GM is forcing customers to buy the pig sunroof if I they want a V8? Wow, some GM exec must own the supplier and be desperate for volume. I suppose they have to buy the mini 3rd seat also.

This is a stupid move on the part of GM. As far as I am concerned, the performance of the 2 WD V8 and the exterior styling are the only redeeming features of the SRX. I would never pay for hi dollar features that I don't want.
    Imagine that roof in Florida... I don't think so.
    I believe that if you buy the luxury performance package, V6 or V8, you're stuck with the 3rd seat.

The roof was closed, and I don't believe temperature was an issue - 70 degrees and overcast.
    Until this happened I think I was one of only a few, based on the comments here, to not have had previous issues with my Ultra-View - only the resetting radio problem.
    I have filed a complaint with NHTSA.
    And who carries a $100 deductible anymore?

louisn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx V-8 awd

Did you have a galss expert look at the remains. They might be able to give an opinion on the actual cause of the damage. Also, what did your adjuster say? i would assume he would like to blame it on cadillac if possible.

I'm waiting for the adjuster to take a look. Obviously they're intrigued by this and they'll work hard to get GM to cover this. I'm sure American Family insures many more SRX's with Ultra-View and don't want $3,500 glass repairs, or worse if accidents result, knocking on their door. This is quite different than losing a fairly inexpensive windshield.

mack1a is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by akdj1055
    I'm waiting for the adjuster to take a look. Obviously they're intrigued by this and they'll work hard to get GM to cover this. I'm sure American Family insures many more SRX's with Ultra-View and don't want $3,500 glass repairs, or worse if accidents result, knocking on their door. This is quite different than losing a fairly inexpensive windshield.
    Maybe some good aggressiveness from insurers and/or the NTSB could make it more desirable to NOT force people who want V8s to have to eat the Ultra View dog food just to get what they want.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

I agree... I did not know the Ultraview was standard on the V8 models... that is absolutely absurd. I didnt like those stupid roofs on the ML Series MB's (so few people ordered their version of it, its practically a rare find), and I certainly wouldnt want one on the SRX. Its just another liability as far as Im concerned. And you better bet your bottom dollar that if this incident happens even a couple of more times Insurance Companies are going to start breaking out the SRX coverages by "SRX V8 W/O Ultraview, SRX V8 W/Ultraview" if they havent already. And of course with it being standard they can even just cover it with having the separate V8 and V6 models as it is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.