Shattered Ultra-View - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Shattered Ultra-View in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just to update you all - a few weeks ago NHTSA concluded at least their first phase of the investigation. ...
    akdj1055 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Shattered Ultra-View

Just to update you all - a few weeks ago NHTSA concluded at least their first phase of the investigation. They draw no conclusion besides to accept GM's contention that these roofs are failing from outside influences (i.e. stones), even though this is the thickest glass used on the market. You can read the entire NHTSA request for information, and the response from GM by doing a search on their website for their investigation numbered PE05052. It gets a little hard to follow, but it appears there have been 17 confirmed unexplained roof failures with too many injured in these incidents. Why they simply seem to roll over for GM's explanation is hard to understand. There have been no design changes for '06 and NHTSA expects these incidents to continue as well. It appears the next part of their investigation goes to engineering analysis - whatever that entails.

It also appears most were repaired under warranty except for mine. That's Cadillac customer service at its best.

Sorry to hear there's another member of the shattered roof club. Hopefully Cadillac took care of you better than me.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by akdj1055 View Post
    Just to update you all - a few weeks ago NHTSA concluded at least their first phase of the investigation. They draw no conclusion besides to accept GM's contention that these roofs are failing from outside influences (i.e. stones), even though this is the thickest glass used on the market. You can read the entire NHTSA request for information, and the response from GM by doing a search on their website for their investigation numbered PE05052. It gets a little hard to follow, but it appears there have been 17 confirmed unexplained roof failures with too many injured in these incidents. Why they simply seem to roll over for GM's explanation is hard to understand. There have been no design changes for '06 and NHTSA expects these incidents to continue as well. It appears the next part of their investigation goes to engineering analysis - whatever that entails.

It also appears most were repaired under warranty except for mine. That's Cadillac customer service at its best.

Sorry to hear there's another member of the shattered roof club. Hopefully Cadillac took care of you better than me.
    I sent you some PM's.
    If this is the truck I think it was than it was #1.
    I looked at the roof top and saw some marks on the top of the metal. Yes it could have been from the glass. It looked as if it was broke by a foreign object.
    We all know it does not matter how it broke!
    It broke. That is the bottom line and you are not happy.
    I hope that you did not loose a penny.
    If you did you should contact GM with your case #
    We have a product that is put on window glass to keep the glass from shattering from bullets.
    This product could have helped you.
    If you didn't jump up and down and turn red. just maybe someone would have called you back and sent a check.
    I am not saying you were wrong at all.
    I think it could have been handled different by everybody as I look back at it now.
    From the way I see it you were #1 and that was a part of the problem

mjk
    mjk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 srx v6

This is some scary stuff. I truly hope that it's caused by some foreign object hitting the roof and not just faulty glass/design.

It doesn’t seem that GM is concerned about it if they now will offer the ultraview on 08 CTS models.

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

I was following a semi last winter, as sheets of ice blew off the top, and landed on the ultraview. I figured if it was gunna go, that would be the time.
    It didn't, and I was glad.

Quote Originally Posted by mjk View Post
    This is some scary stuff. I truly hope that it's caused by some foreign object hitting the roof and not just faulty glass/design.

It doesn’t seem that GM is concerned about it if they now will offer the ultraview on 08 CTS models.
    GM is all over this still

lendad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Re: Shattered Ultra-View

Today my ultraview shattered at 65 mph, 78 degrees outside temp, no traffic, no foreign objects, just BAM, like a 12 gauge shotgun blast at 10 feet.

Luckily the roof AND sunshade were closed, otherwise I'd be nursing dozens of small cuts.

So now I must face GM, who will deny responsibility; or, lie to my insurance co. and say a rock hit it.

Regardless, I doubt if I will ever feel secure in opening either the roof or the shade again (so why have the Ulraview?).

Any advice on how to proceed?

I mean, damn, this could have serious safety ramifications. I consider myself lucky.

Pics attached.

my pics from 7/28/2007. 2004 srx v-6.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by lendad View Post
    my pics from 7/28/2007. 2004 srx v-6.
    DO NOT TOUCH OR MOVE YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You need to call the dealership. You will have a team of investigating engineers out. They will be out on the first flight. If you call the dealer and they know nothing about the team do not take it to the dealer.
    PM me first and I will give you the info. They may tow it to the dealer, but I think the team will come to you.

The marks that I may have seen on akdj1055 could have been caused by sharp glass and if it was the first one it would have been hard to call it any other way.

Unfortunately, my anal self spent 2 hours vacuuming glass pieces with 2 hours of the accident today (Sat. 7/28). I still have all the glass frgments (garbage can) , but the only glass still intact is that which is glued to the transverse and longitundinal metal frame pieces.

Hey AJxtcman,

Unable to respond to your questions - I don't have enough posts - whatever the purpose of that is. What did you mean by sharp glass? All I know is that I was told by Crest and Cadillac that mine was the first time a roof had ever broken while the vehicle was in motion, and only one other roof had broken before mine. According to data provided to NHTSA by GM there were 17 other roof failures before mine. Sounds like misrepresentation to me.

You are correct - mine was the first shattered one you saw. Kemp was my neighbor - NOT my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by akdj1055 View Post
    Hey AJxtcman,

Unable to respond to your questions - I don't have enough posts - whatever the purpose of that is. What did you mean by sharp glass? All I know is that I was told by Crest and Cadillac that mine was the first time a roof had ever broken while the vehicle was in motion, and only one other roof had broken before mine. According to data provided to NHTSA by GM there were 17 other roof failures before mine. Sounds like misrepresentation to me.

You are correct - mine was the first shattered one you saw. Kemp was my neighbor - NOT my friend.
    I sent another PM

akdj1055 take a look at this thread. I posted some internal info.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ultraview.html

AJxtcman,

Thanks for the info and the chuckle - but you lost me. How does a small paint chip mean a stone took out the glass? I don't understand that connection. Also, what do you mean "it was a shard of glass"?

To date, GM has NOT taken care of me. It was a nearly $5,000 repair that my insurance company and I paid for. I've tried for two years to get answers but no one will respond to me. They simply refuse to comment on the whole mess saying other cases have no effect on my own. That's B.S. - not to mention I was lied to! They won't comment on that either.

If you have any insight on who to speak with at GM I would be very appreciative. Why, in your mind, do you think I was immediately denied warranty, when it appears many others around the country experienced the exact same thing but were covered under warranty?

Thanks much.

Larry05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

I still think its a meteorite.

jpmanring is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

It is shocking to see that others have had this issue and Cadillac/Gm still contends that it was a rock that broke it. It happened to me yesterday and there wasn't anyone near me to throw up rocks. Traveling at 70MPH and having the sunroof explode on you is scary stuff. I am so thankfully that my children weren't in the car. I field another incident with the NHTSA. If enough people do then it might force GM to change their position.

It is really hard to break safty glass. I've hit side windows with a hammer and they did not break so I wondering where GM gets off saying a rock flew up and smashed it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.