Shattered Ultra-View - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Shattered Ultra-View in Cadillac SRX Forums; Question for those with a shattered Ultra-View. Is your Ultra-View the regular or is it the Ultra-View Plus with the ...
    MortnCyn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC

Re: Shattered Ultra-View

Question for those with a shattered Ultra-View.
    Is your Ultra-View the regular or is it the Ultra-View Plus with the additional glass in the rear?

krug300 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX V-8 Sport Luxury

Doesn't make a difference, the additional rear glass is there anyway, remove the headliner and you will see through the rearmost glass.........cut a hole in the rear of the headliner, place a piece of trim around it and you have a rear "sunroof" minus the shade if there is one in the OEM installations. No logic to it.
    To repeat myself, I think shattered Ultraviews must be because of a manufacturing defect. My SRX fell off a towtruck when it jacknifed, ended up upside down after sliding(on its front part of the roof/glass) for a good 20 feet on tarmac. The glass was severely scratched on its "leading edge", but did not break.

MortnCyn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC

Got the '05 late November and had not had the occasion to inspect that part of the roof. I went to the garage and looked at the roof and the back portion is glass as you stated. I agree that there seems no real logic other than possibly maufacurting convenience. The glass insert is probably as cheap as metal and they have only one roof configuration to worry about. If you want the Plus they simply use a different head liner.

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Kipp
    I think you could be doing your passengers more harm to themselves with this shield on. You are "un-tempering" the glass.
    Kipp - Thanks for your concern and input.
    I really did have a pro/con debate with myself wondering what would be worse .. if the roof exploded the glass splinters falling on my two year old granddaughters head and in her eyes as she looked up or hope the film would hold the splintered glass together as it fell inward with the shield acting as a flexible (poncho) umbrella.
    I pray that if the top does implode as she's strapped in her car seat that nothing worse than a few stitches would be needed.
    Of course, other alternatives include keeping the shade closed or selling the SRX. Think I'll wait for the NTSB rulings before I pursue those solutions as GM may have to buy them all back!

miked is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 SRX AWD Turbo, 08 STS V8 RWD

I would guess that the odds are that you'll be more likely to be an injury-causing car accident than an ultraview-oriented accident. While I understand people's concerns, there's been, what, two or three ultraviews that have shattered in this way? I just don't see that as anything more than anecdotal evidence, and definitely not statistically meaningful, to cause one to either keep the ultraview closed all the time, or definitely not to laminate it. Again, my point here is not to diss anyone who has taken such action, but just to express an opinion. There have been 50,000+ (???) SRX's sold, of which, maybe 10 (???, and I'm estimating high) that have had this situation occur. That's less than 0.02%. I'll take my 99.98% chance that this won't happen to me!

Kipp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by john d
    Kipp - Thanks for your concern and input.
    I really did have a pro/con debate with myself wondering what would be worse .. if the roof exploded the glass splinters falling on my two year old granddaughters head and in her eyes as she looked up or hope the film would hold the splintered glass together as it fell inward with the shield acting as a flexible (poncho) umbrella.
    I pray that if the top does implode as she's strapped in her car seat that nothing worse than a few stitches would be needed.
    Of course, other alternatives include keeping the shade closed or selling the SRX. Think I'll wait for the NTSB rulings before I pursue those solutions as GM may have to buy them all back!
    This could be possible but taking into consideration that it probably would then weigh 100 pounds or so (just guesstimating) falling on your childs head, at city speeds alone this would be bad. When doing 75 mph it could become a razorblade. I dont think it would just fall down in an umbrella like poncho, the outer pressure would probably force it into the car. If it were to go outward it would whip like a frisbee. You have to remember that this is a huge opening and the air diffuser (spoiler) would not be open forcing even more air in. I only say this because I also thought about laminating it. Not laminating it and keeping the sunshade closed is the best bet for those that are worried.

yafah is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: going without Ultraview not option in Canada?!

I am definitely in the market for an SRX with the higher postioned seat being very more comfortable for my back than the STS. That said ,I was informed on visiting the local Caddy dealer this week that in Canada ,you "Have To" go with the Ultraview roof. I would have preferred a regular sized sunroof or not one at all, simply as I dont want even a .2% risk of my 2 small children being injured if I can help it. Is the salesman,s statement correct?

Larry05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Quote Originally Posted by yafah
    I am definitely in the market for an SRX with the higher postioned seat being very more comfortable for my back than the STS. That said ,I was informed on visiting the local Caddy dealer this week that in Canada ,you "Have To" go with the Ultraview roof. I would have preferred a regular sized sunroof or not one at all, simply as I dont want even a .2% risk of my 2 small children being injured if I can help it. Is the salesman,s statement correct?
    If the gloves fits, you have to acquit.

Kipp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

What is the source for this nbr? If this is the case I think Cadillac would have to have some answers for us!

I dont want even a .2% risk
    You need to brush up on practical statistics. You probably have a greater risk of being t-boned everytime you drive through an intersection, etc.etc. Even being hit by a meteorite .

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

There are 6 complaints on the NHTSA site now. These are just by people who know to complain to that site. The actual number of events could be a lot higher.

Statistically insignificant or not, I wouldn't want to own one. Why take unnecessary, additional risks? Comparing the risk of something reasonably unavoidable like an accident versus something that is totally avoidable like the purchase of a vehicle with an exploding sunroof doesn't make any sense. Most of us do not have a choice as to whether we take the risk of driving every day. We do, however, have a choice in which vehicle we choose to drive. GM forgets that a lot.

Jim

GonZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Odd thing I was just on the STS forum, and they have a thread regarding the back window shattering for no reason. The storys sound just like those written here, check out the STS thread.

Mabye its not an SRX problem but a GM problem, if both the SRX and STS are experiencingn the same glass problem.....

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by john d
    Took the pictures Henry05 posted to a window tint shop most of the new car dealers use and that did my rear windows a couple of years ago when my 04 SRX was new.
    They recommended a product called Graystone that's a "Premium metal-free window film" with a lifetime warranty made by Johnson Window Film.
    Brochure notes it's a (GSN films) whatever that means.
    Installed on the inside for $85.00 plus tax for a total of $86.23.
    The metal free doesn't add to heat build up.
    The metal free shade factor starts at 50% but I really don't notice a darkening effect.
    They've seen vandalized unlaminated broken windows that had this film and the glass held to the film rather than shattering into the car.
    Sure gives me peace of mind for my passengers, especially my 2 year old granddaughter that's in a cross-belted harnessed car seat.
    Check out #28 on this thread:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t=56438&page=2

georges326 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey Guys,

New to forum and wife interested in an srx. Obviouly interested in this subject. Are the Ultra-View shattering problems on the 04 and 05's only and does anyone know if there has been a fix that GM has performed(possibly in secret)?

thanks, George

I can't remember if I posted this earlier and too lazy to search, but, one of my other cars is an 82 Vette with tempered glass t-tops. I has a cling-type dot matrix liner on them that cuts down on the heat gain. One day, while driving on the Beltway in Houston, an object flew off a truck and hit the driver t-top. It shattered into the proverbial million pieces. But it held together because of the CLING liner - emphasis made on purpose - not a glued or whatever tinting, just a cling liner that you can pull off with ease. Went to Corvettes of Houston for a new top and just had the glass replaced, not the frame. As soon as we pulled the liner off, the glass fell apart. Yet it held in place with the liner on, even when driving at Beltway speeds for at least 15 miles - and I don't drive slow! So, my experience is, the lining would work to add strength to a roof that might shatter at speed - at least long enough to be able to stop the car in a reasonable manner.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.