Shattered Ultra-View - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Shattered Ultra-View in Cadillac SRX Forums; From having my 2003 Avalanche, I think GM does a great job. The Chevrolet dealership that I deal with is ...
    djfcars is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Shattered Ultra-View

From having my 2003 Avalanche, I think GM does a great job. The Chevrolet dealership
    that I deal with is the best. They take care of you. But.... The Cadillac dealer I bought my SRX from is sloppy. I think the problem with GM is not their product, but how a lot of the dealerships are horrible with service. I would forgive a few shortcomings if only the dealer took care of you in a professional manner.

djfcars

BBATTAGL is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I became a member of the Shattered UltraView club this week. On the highway the sunroof exploded and crumbled into the shade. I'm so thankful that the shade was closed - or I would have been showered in glass. The car is at the dealership - and I'm wondering how I'll ever be able to enjoy the sunroof again. I will never drive it with the shade open again - ever. It was a very frightening experience.

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

On all three reports the 6th and 7th digit of the 04 SRX SN#'s is 63A on the govt reporting site. What does that desiginate? My SRX is 83A.

syrob@MSN.COM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Idiots, something that size should be laminated.

SYROB

Kipp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yea, I thought that also but then what would happen with the 100 pound sheet of broken glass flying off the roof at 75 mph??

Quote Originally Posted by syrob@MSN.COM
    Idiots, something that size should be laminated.

SYROB
    Would this work? There are probably many places to buy this but this came up first on my "search" results for "hurricane glass film".
    Local tint shops may have it too.
    http://www.consumerschoicewindowfilm...rityFilms.html

MortnCyn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC

Quote Originally Posted by john d
    Would this work? There are probably many places to buy this but this came up first on my "search" results for "hurricane glass film".
    Local tint shops may have it too.
    http://www.consumerschoicewindowfilm...rityFilms.html
    Sounds like a good idea. If it is clear (I would not want to darken the glass) and will withstand the higher temps the glass will encounter one could laminate the inside of the glass. Until late November I had only passing interest in the Ultra-View problem since our '04 has no hole in the roof. Our '05 has the Ultra-View.

MortnCyn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC

On all three reports the 6th and 7th digit of the 04 SRX SN#'s is 63A on the govt reporting site. What does that desiginate? My SRX is 83A.
    The VIN chart shows 5 & 6 together as E6 identifyng the Line Chassis/Series as SRX
    Position 7 is Body Type and 3 = SRX
    Position 8 is Engine and A = (ENG. OPT) LH2 (DISP.) 4.6L (CYL) V8 (FUEL SYSTEM) SFI

I do not see an 83A. Possibly the chart is out of date and/or changes during the year.
    http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/gmgoodwr...04VINCARDS.pdf

I thought at one time there were pictures of a shattered Ultraview posted here.
    I can't seem to find them now.
    I'd like to take them to a window film supplier for advice for a safety film application and share info with my friends on this board.
    Anyone guide me to the pics? Post thread, post date, post contributor name, etc.

MortnCyn - Thanks for the VIN info..

Henry01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Here are the pictures for all you interested parties, and also for those with nothing better to do than read this site.
    Attached Images

Henry01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

BBATTAGL,

I experienced the same problem. I would suggest that you report this to the NHTSA, http://www.nhtsa.com as there is an ongoing investigation.

No wonder Toyota is taking market share when GM makes products like this.

Good Luck

It can't be laminated. The sheet could then fly into the car and slice off somones head in the rear row, or fly off the car and possibly do the same. Could you imagine that at 80 mph? Thats why it is tempered, so it breaks into a thousand little pieces.

syrob@MSN.COM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Kipp
    It can't be laminated. The sheet could then fly into the car and slice off somones head in the rear row, or fly off the car and possibly do the same. Could you imagine that at 80 mph? Thats why it is tempered, so it breaks into a thousand little pieces.
    You have a good point with the current design of the frame holding the glass. But you could do it with a different frame designed to keep the glass in place. Look at the front windshield.

SYROB

Took the pictures Henry05 posted to a window tint shop most of the new car dealers use and that did my rear windows a couple of years ago when my 04 SRX was new.
    They recommended a product called Graystone that's a "Premium metal-free window film" with a lifetime warranty made by Johnson Window Film.
    Brochure notes it's a (GSN films) whatever that means.
    Installed on the inside for $85.00 plus tax for a total of $86.23.
    The metal free doesn't add to heat build up.
    The metal free shade factor starts at 50% but I really don't notice a darkening effect.
    They've seen vandalized unlaminated broken windows that had this film and the glass held to the film rather than shattering into the car.
    Sure gives me peace of mind for my passengers, especially my 2 year old granddaughter that's in a cross-belted harnessed car seat.

Took the pictures Henry05 posted to a window tint shop most of the new car dealers use and that did my rear windows a couple of years ago when my 04 SRX was new.
    They recommended a product called Graystone that's a "Premium metal-free window film" with a lifetime warranty made by Johnson Window Film.
    Brochure notes it's a (GSN films) whatever that means.
    Installed on the inside for $85.00 plus tax for a total of $86.23.
    The metal free doesn't add to heat build up.
    The metal free shade factor starts at 50% but I really don't notice a darkening effect.
    They've seen vandalized unlaminated broken windows that had this film and the glass held to the film rather than shattering into the car.
    Sure gives me peace of mind for my passengers, especially my 2 year old granddaughter that's in a cross-belted harnessed car seat.

I think you could be doing your passengers more harm to themselves with this shield on. You are "un-tempering" the glass.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.