Shattered Ultra-View - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Shattered Ultra-View in Cadillac SRX Forums; If the whole thing shattered, it was some sort of propelled object. A stress crack would have been a line ...
    Larry05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Shattered Ultra-View

If the whole thing shattered, it was some sort of propelled object.

A stress crack would have been a line crack.

Maybe it was a meteorite!

keeton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Larry05
    If the whole thing shattered, it was some sort of propelled object.

A stress crack would have been a line crack.

Maybe it was a meteorite!
    You won't see a line crack in tempered glass - it will just shatter into tiny, blunt pieces. Windshields are laminated (at least in the USA) and will crack and stay intact.

Then I vote for the meteorite.

Kipp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I second that

Henry01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry Re: Shattered Ultra-View

This reply is especially aimed at the people who are looking for the balck helis, and think this is a conspiracy.

I have recently purcahsed an SRX for my wife. We were driving on a highway at 55MPH with 600miles on the vehicle when our UltraView exploded and showered glass throughout the vehicle covering my wife, my two children in the back seat and myself. The glass particles were so minute that ny children and wife suffered several cuts to their legs and feet trying to wipe the glass from themselves.

Since the event, Cadillacs Product Allegation group has treated me like I was trying to get over on them and have refused to repurchase the vehicle. I do not want this vehicle and am not comfortable putting my children back in the vehicle. Unfortunately, Cadillac is forcing me to take Legal action.

My suggestion is to keep the sunshade closed unless you like shaking glass out of your hair on the side of an interstate.

Start looking for the Helis Kip

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

The two people who have had this happen should really file a complaint at the NHTSA site. I did a search and there is another instance of it for a 2005 SRX. The person the filed the complaint had the sunshade closed and it caught the glass. Said he was simply cruising along in light traffic and it exploded.

Jim

Jimmy,

Thank you for the suggestion, I am on the NHTSA website filing a complaint right now. Be careful in your SRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry01
    Jimmy,

Thank you for the suggestion, I am on the NHTSA website filing a complaint right now. Be careful in your SRX.
    Thanks, but unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't have an SRX - have a DTS. For some reason I was subscribed to this thread. I must've commented earlier on it and it alerted me to your post.

Jim

Kipp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Henry01...Sorry to hear about the bad news and I hope everyone is ok. But I still think it was struck by an object and did not "explode". Maybe they can affix a clear sticker like the one on headlamps that are used to prevent chipping, this way it wouldnt shower down.

I still think it was a meteorite.

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

There's so much space program junk falling out of orbit that soon Chicken Little will be inducted into the Nostradamus Society!

Angry Re: Shattered Ultra-View

Quote Originally Posted by Kipp
    Henry01...Sorry to hear about the bad news and I hope everyone is ok. But I still think it was struck by an object and did not "explode". Maybe they can affix a clear sticker like the one on headlamps that are used to prevent chipping, this way it wouldnt shower down.
    More to my saga...

Cadillac's product allegation group authorized repair and replacement of the shattered UltraView, only after their inspection of the vehicle, which showed no signs of any exterior force creating the sunroof to shatter. In fact they stated that this was not being repaired under warranty, but out of customer service they would replace it. This sounds to me that they do not want nay records indicating that this event was the result of negligence or defect.

Further, when the dealer called to say it was repaired any ready, my wife found glass still in the seats, carpet, drink holders, and once again she cut herself. Additionally the leather seat had a slit as a result. Remember that we have only drive this vehicle 600 miles.

In trying to quell my tirade, the dealer, Gold Coast in Oakhurst, NJ stated that they would remove the seats and clean it fully again. They stated their confidence in being able to clean it well as this was the second car they had sold that had the sunroof shatter.

We'll let the lawyers sort this one out.

You will forever be finding pieces of glass in that thing. Anyone who has had a window smashed in will attest to this. The pieces get in every nook and cranny. Every time you clean it you'll find more.

I sold a rebuilt total (vandalized) pickup to a guy 3 years ago and he says glass still shoots out of the defroster vents from time to time. Shows up under the seats, where the seat belts bolt to the body, in storage compartments, etc.

Jim

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

From time to time all manufacturers have had seiges of exploding tempered glass windows. Ford had a bunch of Pintos and Mustangs doing this back in the '70s. Rear windows in GM two-door hardtops used to fail. This isn't something new or unusual. These could be traced back to faulty work by the glass supplier. In fact I remember someone having the trouble just this spring.

how long have you worked for GM/Cadillac?

I don't care if it is the glass supplier's fault or not. I did not buy a car from a glass supplier. I bought a car from Gold Coast Cadillac in Oakhurst, NJ and glass shattered and rained down on my wife, my two children and myself. Even though I don't remember glass supplier trouble just this spring, I will certainly remember glass sahttering all over my family.

What kind of a moron do you think I am?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.