Shattered Ultra-View - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Shattered Ultra-View in Cadillac SRX Forums; Remember all, there are lot's of SRX owners on this site and this is the first time we are hearing ...
    DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Shattered Ultra-View

Remember all, there are lot's of SRX owners on this site and this is the first time we are hearing about this. My dealer has had NO reported incidents nor has anyone else on the site. Whatever happened to this faimly's roof seems to be an isolated incident.

I and thousands of owners really "dig" the Ultraview roof. It is a really nice feature that has some other makes playing copycat ( BMW Panarama)....

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

I, for one, would NEVER have bought my SRX without the UltraView!

syrob@MSN.COM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

And then again I would NEVER buy one with it...

SYROB

conniecadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by sgilbert
    I, for one, would NEVER have bought my SRX without the UltraView!
    I couldn't agree more. The reason I wanted this car was the Ultra-View. The first time I saw a commercial for it, I knew that I wanted the vehicle. Same thing happened with the Catera; the first time I saw that commercial (gotta love the Caddy that zigs) I wanted one!

Larry05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Quote Originally Posted by conniecadillac
    I couldn't agree more. The reason I wanted this car was the Ultra-View. The first time I saw a commercial for it, I knew that I wanted the vehicle. Same thing happened with the Catera; the first time I saw that commercial (gotta love the Caddy that zigs) I wanted one!
    Like in Florida, cover it up for 4 months out of the year in Houston. Leave uncovered many more months and open alot during November to April.

Don't leave home without it.

sonjaab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Premium

FOLKS..........There is a giant used car dealer here in Syracuse that is
    offering a AWD, v-8, lo mile, NO sunroof 04 SRX for $36,xxx.

Wrong info? A short time back there was a sunroof shortage and a cash
    rebate on a non roof model.............

Anyhoo, My mom wants to trade her lo mile 98 Deville (crazy) and get
    a SUV of some kind. She was asking if a aftermarket slider could be
    installed in a SRX.

Gonna head there Tues. and check it out................geo

krug300 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX V-8 Sport Luxury

A bit more feedback on the UltraView. I am surprised at how the glass can shatter for no reason. My 2004, V-8, fell off the truck that was transporting it to the vehicle licensing facility here in Athens, Greece. The car rolled over and skided to a stop (upside down) resting on the leading edge of the hood and the front of the ultraview. Both A-pillars were bent, the front door glass smashed of course (both sides), but the ultraview glass survived albeit severely scratched.
    That leads me to believe that only a manufacturing defect could make a piece of glass break for no reason. This kind of glass is heat treated (tempered) during manufacture and it can take some considerable stress before failing. On the other hand, a sharp blow with a "dense" object (even the rear of a spark plug) can make a million pieces out of it.

Kipp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think everyone is jumping on the sunroof exploading train! After all this is the first we have heard of this and there are a lot of variables..... Maybe another car kicked up a rock onto it or maybe something was stuck in the track and when the roof was closed it had a pressure point that stressed it. Calling the nhtsa and glass experts along with GM sunroof monopolizing is getting a little conspiracy theory, where are the black helis?? Until we hear about more of these happening, which I hope not, cant you guess that this is an isolated incident??

Pete Benson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Fleetwood Coupe

You took the words right out of my mouth.

stlgasman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab
    FOLKS..........There is a giant used car dealer here in Syracuse that is
    offering a AWD, v-8, lo mile, NO sunroof 04 SRX for $36,xxx.

Wrong info? A short time back there was a sunroof shortage and a cash
    rebate on a non roof model.............

Anyhoo, My mom wants to trade her lo mile 98 Deville (crazy) and get
    a SUV of some kind. She was asking if a aftermarket slider could be
    installed in a SRX.

Gonna head there Tues. and check it out................geo
    Yes, there is even a version of the ultraview available, but not quite as big. Check with a cadillac dealer.

stlgasman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

This vehicle has an aftermarket sunroof:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

RTT
    RTT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Sedan

egclassics.com has a picture of the roofs for the SRX.

And I am another that the main selling point for my SRX was the roof, it is just the coolest thing. Being the optimist that I am, no one was hurt and your insurance will cover it.

louisn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx V-8 awd

Quote Originally Posted by akdj1055
    I'm waiting for the adjuster to take a look. Obviously they're intrigued by this and they'll work hard to get GM to cover this. I'm sure American Family insures many more SRX's with Ultra-View and don't want $3,500 glass repairs, or worse if accidents result, knocking on their door. This is quite different than losing a fairly inexpensive windshield.
    What did your adjuster say about the damage? Inquiring minds!!!!

akdj1055 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Adjuster, just like everyone else, can't determine what may have caused it and didn't really care either. Just looked for the easy way out - "well, a stone may have hit it" - or it may have been defective but no one really cares - unless it would have been their family in it. Remember folks, that roof isn't sitting at the attack angle like a windshield for catching a stone. Think how the stars must have been in perfect alignment for a rock to take out what is suppose to be a very strong structure. Surprisingly, GM won't even pass on the incident to the roof manufacturer (not GM) or even tell me who it is. I assume it's ASC but why won't they even tell me who makes it? After three weeks parts are just rolling in. What are the odds it's fixed right?

And to those who think this is a freak event because no one has posted anything like this before, think about what fraction of 1% actually visit here. This event has happened before according to GM, they just won't provide specifics. Wonder why? Hmmm.

Kipp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Watch out for those guys in Black suits following you.......I do believe it was probably hit by a stone...... how can the adjuster prove anything???? I have had a rock hit me square in the hood, I watched it kick up from the truck and I actually slowed down only to watch it damage my hood (not the srx). With such a big piece of glass there is more of a chance for this type of damage and such. If your windshield was not there dont you think some of those rocks would hit the backside of your car?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.