Questions About Buying a 04 to 09 SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By conedoctor
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Questions About Buying a 04 to 09 SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; We are replacing our beater 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 180K on the clock because repairs for that car over ...
    roadbike56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Questions About Buying a 04 to 09 SRX

We are replacing our beater 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 180K on the clock because repairs for that car over last year equal car payments. Based on price, the SRX looks like an attractive possibility. However, I have two concerns about the 04 to 09 model. The first is the reports of high oil consumption with the V-6. Is it possible to detect if the car has the high oil consumption problem before buying? The second is the MRC system. I've read that many owners have to replace the shocks within this system and they are quite expensive. How can I tell if the car I'm looking at needs the MRC shocks replaced.
    I'm interested in the SRX model, but I'm not interested in trading for a car with worse problems than the current 96 Jeep.
    Any help here is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Simple solution.

Avoid the V6 and don't buy an srx with electrical connectors on the top of the struts.

Easy

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Agreed.
    Also know that the 07-09 have a much nicer inside than than the 04-06 (damn near exact clone of the CTS).
    07+ also gets a 6spd trans so slightly better mpg is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    Agreed.
    Also know that the 07-09 have a much nicer inside than than the 04-06 (damn near exact clone of the CTS).
    07+ also gets a 6spd trans so slightly better mpg is possible.
    V8 in 07 got 6 speed. Not sure about v6.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    V8 in 07 got 6 speed. Not sure about v6.
    True.
    I'd wonder if the V6 ever did get it since it wasn't updated to the DI V6 in 2008 like STS was.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

Re: Questions About Buying a 04 to 09 SRX

nope...the V6 has a 5 speed automatic with manual shift capabilities...

Bill

Thanks for the replies. I know the V-8 has a better reputation with regard to the oil burning problem, but the prices of the V-8 SRX are substantially higher than the 6 making the SRX less competitive price wise. I appreciate the comment about the nicer interior, but I'm buying an SUV that will take some abuse so interior is not a high priority. I'll keep that information in mind if an 07 is priced close to a 05/06. I think as far as the MRC sysem goes, I'll follow the advice and check under the hood.
    What I really need to know, is there a way to test the V-6 to detect if it's an oil burner? Are there any tell-tale signs? Do these engines lose compression?
    Any help here is much appreciated.
    Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by roadbike56
    Thanks for the replies. I know the V-8 has a better reputation with regard to the oil burning problem, but the prices of the V-8 SRX are substantially higher than the 6 making the SRX less competitive price wise. I appreciate the comment about the nicer interior, but I'm buying an SUV that will take some abuse so interior is not a high priority. I'll keep that information in mind if an 07 is priced close to a 05/06. I think as far as the MRC sysem goes, I'll follow the advice and check under the hood.
    What I really need to know, is there a way to test the V-6 to detect if it's an oil burner? Are there any tell-tale signs? Do these engines lose compression?
    Any help here is much appreciated.
    Many thanks.
    Sure the price is cheaper. Until you tack on timing chain and valve guide replacement to the bill.

Otherwise if they let you have it for 1000-2000 mile test drive you'll be able to figure it out...

It's much worse than just "oil burning" timing chains are known to stretch and break. And iirc this is an interference motor so should they break at speed your motor is basically toasted.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Not too mention if it has the panoramic sunroof more money for constant repairs. And avoid awd also known failure in the transfer case chains.

OK, so to summarize, stay away from a 6 cylinder engine, avoid AWD, avoid a car with MRC, and finally avoid a car with panoramic sunroof.
    Wow, that really narrows the field. Thanks to all the responders for filling me in on the pitfalls. Glad I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by roadbike56
    OK, so to summarize, stay away from a 6 cylinder engine, avoid AWD, avoid a car with MRC, and finally avoid a car with panoramic sunroof.
    Wow, that really narrows the field. Thanks to all the responders for filling me in on the pitfalls. Glad I asked.
    Awd is not a major problem. The tcase chain can have an issue but its not nearly as common as the other issues. The sunroof becomes a problem because how massive it is. Without maintenance (applying lube to the tracks and cleaning debris) it stresses the motor and tracks. Awd and a sunroof wouldn't steer me away.

In the several years of ownership and over 150k miles combined during ownership (around 200k miles total between them) the 04 & 06 AWD N* SRX's that my parents drive both have the ultraview moonroof too; neither have had any issues with the transfer case nor the roof.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Not too mention if it has the panoramic sunroof more money for constant repairs. And avoid awd also known failure in the transfer case chains.
    This is totally false.

If you avoid the Ultra-view, AWD and all the other things then why not just say avoid the SRX like you want to. Providing false inaccurate information to a person is not helpful.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.