New Tires for 2008 SRX4 V6...17s
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, New Tires for 2008 SRX4 V6...17s in Cadillac SRX Forums; New Tires for 2008 SRX4 V6...17s I need new shoes for the SRX and I'd like to keep all seasons ...
    silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

I need new shoes for the SRX and I'd like to keep all seasons for the weather here in ChicagoLand...AWD V6...

I have the 17s and the staggered tire sizes...differing opinions on going all one size or keeping the staggered but I figure the engineers had something in mind so I should stick with that but I am open to your experiences with either...

I prefer spirited driving (don't we all) and consider my SRX more of a CTS Sportwagon than a "truck" as some consider them here...

...the OE Goodyear Eagle RS-As haven't been as bad as you read on the errornet and if mine are the original set, they have lasted almost 40K miles without being rotated...still...better options should exist...

I've checked Tire Rack, Discount Tire and the usual suspects and it seems to be down to more RS-As, Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds or General Altimax but they don't do as well in the snow/ice as the others by comparison...

...anyone here have any information they care to share???...I'd appreciate any feedback you have...thanks!

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Tirerack.com

Discounttiredirect.com

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Of the tires you listed the Goodyear assurance tripletred tires are the only ones I'd use. I ran them on several cars and they did the winter roads and wet / dry summer roads really well. When my parents were looking for tires for their 2 SRXs (with 18" rims) but were unable to buy any as they were "out of stock / on backorder" and after waiting a few months they decided to get the comfortreds instead which have a slight traction sacrifice for lower noise.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Re: New Tires for 2008 SRX4 V6...17s

thanks Ludacrisvp...I appreciate the info...I am leaning to the TripleTreds as they seem to trounce the RS-As in everything but a bit in handling and ride comfort...

Bill

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Tirerack.com

Discounttiredirect.com
    you suggested two of the places I already looked and mentioned in my OP...but I guess that's an answer...thanks 1BadCadSTS...

Bill

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Rest or my post didn't show sorry.

I used kumho apts on my sisters 05 awd v6 with 18s. They worked out well and were a great bang for buck.

I don't think the Kumhos are available in the staggered 17 sizes but I'll look...thanks...

Bill

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Get rid of the staggered and you have many choices.

Linkinyeah is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac SRX ALL WD V8
    You might look into Continental LX20 eco plus. Highest rank on tire rack for all season crossover/suv. I just bought staggered set for my 05 awd srx.

I don't see your Continental available in the staggered 17 size...conedoctor...why do you think the engineers went with staggered tire sizes and what are any issues (I suspect you have had none to recommend the switch) with going to all one size???...

I suggested going to one size at several tire places and was warned off the change...I believe they may have warned me away for liability reasons (theirs, not mine )...benefits for choosing the larger size all around to the slightly smaller size or for choosing the smaller all around???

Bill

The engineers did it for looks, it looks cool. The X5 I bought has 255/55-18 all around, the very first sign of spring I am going to 275/40-20 and 315/35-20 because it looks cool and was a factory option, why is it an option, because it looks cool.

I can go into mega detail about why and how the SRX AWD will but not unless asked, and if have before in other threads.

The tire shops and most dealers have no idea how the SRX works, you can not and will not damage the AWD nor will you cause lights or warnings to pop up, the TC and stability management will work just fine and the ABS will not even know.

Now the next thing people say is "but the front tires are bigger now and I will loose control" well these people are not thinking the whole thing through, I dare say the 235 on the 7.5" wheel is as wide or wider than the 255 on the 7.5" wheel.

Lets use the OEM tire and tirerack specs, they list the tread width of the 235@9.1" on a 7" wheel and the tread width of the 255@9.1" on a 7.5" wheel, so now since the 235 on the SRX is on a 7.5" wheel (the SRX had same size wheels front to back, if Cadillac did the stagger for handling the wheels would have been staggered IMO) I dare say it will end up having a wider tread than the 255 on the 7.5" wheel.

All that being said the sport package comes with 255's all round from factory and its all the same parts, I used the same size tires for both my SRX's in the winter for years and it was just fine.

Then we have the "oh but you will hurt the transfer case because it is some how" well to them you say "hey go measure my spare" ya its 4" shorter than the rest of the tires, GM is not worried abut the mismatch and neither is your SRX.

Choose the size you want, or the cheaper or the better, end of the day they are going to be the same size, the 255 will look bigger due to the section width as it is larger for sure, so if it were me I would go 255.

You can rotate the tires for some longer life, that's always nice.

Linkinyeah is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac SRX ALL WD V8
    I had to purchase the LX20 's separately. I found the best deal on the front size from Amazon. My tire shop was able to order the rears, and they installed all 4 for me.

conedoctor...thanks for that in depth response...EXACTLY what I was looking for...my tire guys at a local garage I trust didn't really say no but just spoke in general terms and of course they will tow the party line on any changes...I do know about the 20" option but didn't know no parts were changed but for the wheels and tires...very important information in my opinion...thanks!

I'd appreciate your mega detail if you'd provide it...I'll do a search here too...thanks...

Linkinyeah...I'll look deeper into this as well since Continental's own site didn't show these for the SRX...thanks...

if anyone else would like to still chime in about their experiences I'd still like to hear them...I was up against it (end of year) rebate on Goodyear TripleTreds but I think I'll hold off a bit and hope whomever's tire I decide on has some good deals when I need to make the purchase...

Bill

I didn't buy any tires yet and missed the end of the year rebates and sales...suprisingly to me with all the snow here in ChicagoLand, the SRX is doing all right on the stock Eagle RS-As which is a testament to the AWD system I'd say...

...still open to hearing any thoughts or experiences you care to share...thanks...I am thinking of going all 255 60 17s...but I have time to keep reading and learning...

Bill

Pinhauler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 v6 SRX

Doesn't anyone buy Michelin anymore ?

While they make a great tire so do others at a better price, I think with Michelin you get what you pay for (except DOT racing tires, they are way overpriced and do not deliver) but the Korean tires are really making some quality stuff at a great price. Its like this, I will not drive on all season tires in the winter, I buy both summer and winter for the best drive I can get to keep everyone safe and not everyone is willing to do this. Michelin is a great tire but not everyone is willing to spend the money on them when they feel a lesser priced tire will do the job for them.

We all expect and want different things from our cars and tires.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.