SICK OF THIS CRAPPY 3.6!!! LS Swap anyone???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, SICK OF THIS CRAPPY 3.6!!! LS Swap anyone??? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have owned my 2005 SRX AWD V6 for less than a year and have already put $3000+ into it ...
    BOOM_FIST is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac SRX

SICK OF THIS CRAPPY 3.6!!! LS Swap anyone???

I have owned my 2005 SRX AWD V6 for less than a year and have already put $3000+ into it to keep it on the road. I've had the excessive oil consumption issue from the first oil change. 2-3 quarts or more every 3000-4000 miles. On top of that, there is now fuel in the oil and coolant is constantly needing to be topped off. Head gaskets? Rings? Both??? This isn't even including the transfer case needing rebuilt and the rear MRC shocks needing to be replaced. $$$$$$$

It's even more frustrating coming across endless complaints for this 3.6L V6 and nothing being done about resolving this issue. How can a big name manufacturer (Cadillac/GM) be ok with selling such a piece of crap engine and claim it's "normal" for their engine to consume 1.5 quarts of oil per oil change?!?! That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. My 94 Honda Accord with 250K+ on it's original motor doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil but my $50K+ original sticker priced CADILLAC burns even 1 quart and it's OK? The hell it is! I would have never even considered this vehicle if I would have known this. I guess I should have done my research first. Shame on me. Well, now I'm stuck with it.....for now.

I'm fed up with this SRX to the point I'm ready to get rid of it already. It's sad because my wife and I really love all of the other features of our SRX. It looks good, the creature comforts are all there, heated leather seats, third row seat is awesome, the DVD player is great for the kids, and the huge panoramic moonroof is amazing.

I keep telling myself I would love to keep this SRX only if it wasn't for the oil drinking crappy V6. Anyone....ANYONE have any real insight on what it would take to swap in a good LS based engine/trans combo? I realize it's AWD as it sits, but making it RWD in the end is not an issue. I have resources to help fab up any metal work needed but how different are the motor mounts on the current 3.6 to say...the 5.3, 5.7, 6.0 mounts?

Anyone attempt this already? Good or bad results? Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

-Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    What but everybody on here swears the 3.6 is great. It is a POS I've been saying that. Forget the swap get rid of it.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: SICK OF THIS CRAPPY 3.6!!! LS Swap anyone???

If you like the car swap the car not the engine, get a newer V8 and call it a day. You bought a 7 year old used car and it's failing on you, get rid of it and go a different way. The LS swap will not help you MRC or Tcase problems. If you are willing to go so far as to swap to an LS then pull the V6 and correct the problems and start over with a good break in and fix the problem or are you looking to complain and not really fix the issue?

The endless complains on this site are from the same people so the numbers look bigger

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    If you like the car swap the car not the engine, get a newer V8 and call it a day. You bought a 7 year old used car and it's failing on you, get rid of it and go a different way. The LS swap will not help you MRC or Tcase problems. If you are willing to go so far as to swap to an LS then pull the V6 and correct the problems and start over with a good break in and fix the problem or are you looking to complain and not really fix the issue?

The endless complains on this site are from the same people so the numbers look bigger
    Yes I do constantly complain about my POS unfortunately I can no longer make repairs to it as it was stolen and stripped while I was out of town. Blessing in disguise? Maybe. Bit left my wife and daughter stranded at home while I'm out of town working on cars. One thing I will say is I am completely done with GM. Their engineering is ridiculous most parts made in China or Germany. They aren't an American company anymore. Been that way for awhile. So I'll keep my 96 ram 204k miles no issues, 95 corolla 276k miles no issues, and my 91 civic with 311k miles no issues. My 06 srx used and previously abused yes has been a money pit from 69k miles to 107k miles. Over $6k out of pocket warranty wouldn't cover and $4500 warranty has covered. Low mileage doesn't mean anything. Previous maintenance does. I made that costly mistake with this poorly engineered vehicle but won't make it again. Hell I have a 73 Mercedes 350sl I'm restoring for someone and its cost him less money than I have involved with the srx. Never again I'll stick to older vehicles with minor issues. So you won't hear anymore complaints from me about that pile of trash. I'll stick to my dodge and imports. Cost of maintenance and parts are inexpensive. Sure they don't have some of the cool features but I won't have the constant worry of what's next? I strayed from the northstar due to their very well known head gasket issues but should have tried the new ones.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    It's called the N* swap and its quiet common. It's where you dump that pos v6 and buy an srx equipped with the 4.6 LH2 N*.

Or buy and import with more power and reliability.

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

If srx's are stolen and stripped usually that means its popular vehicle and parts are at premium ! You probably could part vehicle out at a better price than trading in.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

That's so untrue about buying an import and problem solved and you know it, it's fine to be mad and express your self but you sound stupid when you make statements like that.

Lets face it some of the V6's had major problems and the SRX had some issues as well but now your going to say GM has bad engineering, lets keep it real...

I have heard of zero head gasket failures on the LH2, "you chose poorly" (the old knight in the last crusade)

NO way I could drive an old car, my race car is a 97 and I could not drive it everyday, missing way too many things IMO. To each their own but I just don't like the Japanese stuff, not enough AWD cars and the inside look like spaceships lol

Think long and hard and what are you going to find to replace a nice 07-09 V8 SRX that looks as good? Its not easy.

I guess I am willing to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, I was treated well on both my site unseen SRX's bought over the internet or phone as well as the X5 I just picked up, that said the X5 is lipping me off already but I am hoping it will be as good as the SRX was.

So can you swap, I don't see why not but ya selling it and getting a newer V8 ftw

Holy crap....while I appreciate everyone's feedback and opinions, I'd also appreciate it if the personal squabbles stayed out so that we don't lose track of the topic at hand. Thanks.

repnatl - I can understand your dislike for the 3.6 V6, but as I stated, my wife and I really do love the rest of the vehicle despite the MRC and T-case still needing attention.

conedoctor - I respect your knowledge and insight as I've read a good bit of your posts while scrolling through a lot of threads but I do realize that JUST an engine swap wouldn't take care of my MRC and T-case issue. My thought was getting a motor/trans/rear end combo all out of a donor vehicle to include the engine harness and ECU and any other bits and pieces for that matter to make the swap any less of a headache while resolving the T-case and rear suspension. Also, my reference to bad engineering was directed towards this specific motor, not towards Cadillac/GM as a whole. Keeping it real, I try....but seriously, is there anyone out there that would call a motor that burns 1.5 quarts of oil in between oil changes "normal", "good engineering"? My guess is, no.

So, with hearing how many issues and problems this motor has, I'd rather not replace one crappy motor with another of the same crappy motor. Even rebuilding it would probably cost just as much as a complete low mileage LS swap not to mention the added HP/TQ.

As far as "just getting rid of it for a Northstar V8"...not possible as I just purchased this used from a dealership back in May and still have a loan on it. The neg difference isn't worth it. For some of you it may be that easy but for my wife and I, it's not. I haven't researched the going price for a Northstar V8, but is that a cheaper alternative to an LS swap? Just so it's known, there was a guy locally selling a complete running GMC 2500 single cab truck with the 6.0 and 115k miles for $2000. I figure pick that up, use whatever parts I need and scrap/part-out the rest to re-coup some cash. OR just light this junk on fire and enjoy some s'mores over its burning carcass??? J/k

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    LSx runs 3k. Plus all the labor and fabrication yes i can safely say if you have the money to do that then you have te ability to cut your losses trade it in and buy an LH2 equipped srx as you should of originally.

Yea, like I said...should have researched before making a purchase but my wife's POS Cobalt was about to take a crap and I wanted to off-load that before it croaked. Now, I'm stuck with this. The Cobalt was paid off, this is not. I just said I found a complete running truck for $2000. How do you figure $3000? I snatch the drivetrain, harness, and ECU and whatever else from that and partout the rest to make an easy $1000-$1500 just in parts, not to include my old V6 for a couple hundred or so....I'd nearly break even. This is just in thought...and I don't really foresee too much fabrication unless I'm way off of what I think the motor mounts look like??? The engine bay is more than capable of fitting a V8 obviously as it came factory with one. The only issue would be the rear end which wouldn't be a huge hassle in my opinion with a leaf spring set-up or with further R&D a coil spring set-up. Custom driveshaft to the 4l60 or 4l80 and V8 springs up front. The harness will be a nightmare but what harness isn't? Just looking for any other option than cramming in another crappy V6 for the same price....

Quote Originally Posted by nstar View Post
    If srx's are stolen and stripped usually that means its popular vehicle and parts are at premium ! You probably could part vehicle out at a better price than trading in.
    Prob was someone I pissed off It wasn't actually stripped interior and body.destroyed. they prob got pissed cause it either used too much oil or heard the timing chain noise. Custom wheel.and.DVD player stolen.and optima battery.

----------

Trust me the new nstar. Is way better than the old one. I prefer older cars being a mechanic. We all know gm engineering has fallen off. I trained at Honda but work on 90% gm vehicles what does that tell you. So say my statements male me sound stupid all you want but I know gm shit very well and they have had well known issues over the years even with low mileage. Met a guy last night with a 2014 stingray and was bragging about electric power steering I informed him to look.into the massive recall gm had with that feature hate to see that beautiful car suddenly shoot left into a guard rail. I'm glad mine is gone. So that will end my gripes and complaints. I'm sticking with older cars period or new imports. Sure there might be problems but I guarantee they won't be like the srx constant expensive issues. These trucks went for $50k+ and were plagued with issues. So.enjoy your truck of you like it. I loved the look and feel but won't miss the oil consumption, lack of power, horrible gas mileage, timing chain failures, the ones with lake cadillac, mrc issues, drl failing, lower control arms etc. My 96 dodge should outlast most of these trucks on here.

holstbnet is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I don't understand why people join vehicle enthusiast forums just to vent and complain about how much they hate their car. That's like joining a Chicago Bears fan site and saying "The Bears SUCK! They're awful!"

I understand that people have genuine problems with their vehicles at times but why not post a coherent thread about what the issues are, or research existing threads rather than just spout nonsense about GM engines are junk and their parts are sourced from other countries *gasp* not like the good old days when everything was made right here in the US of A.

The 3.6 VVT high feature is a great engine, there's millions of them in use, but they are sophisticated and complex like all modern engines, and have known issues...like all modern engines from any manufacturer.

When you buy used, you also don't know how the vehicle was maintained prior to you getting it. That doesn't mean the car is a lemon.

My family has owned mostly all GM vehicles and we've had overall pretty good experiences with them. We have an '09 SRX AWD 3.6 and a '06 CTS 3.6 Sport right now, both run beautifully and only use about a quart of oil between changes (keep in mind the oil changes are usually at 6-9k miles, Mobil 1 5w30, and it's often a lot of highway driving which tends to use more oil) Neither vehicle has any problems to speak of. I don't know if people are exceptionally hard on their vehicles or what?

Lastly - sure you could do an LS swap on an SRX if you wanted to have a serious conversation about that. But it would be expensive and complicated.

A $50k truck shouldn't use oil. Nobody joins these sites to brag about how great it just like you don't go to the service department to say their truck is fine. Understand these vehicles are known for .constant repetitive issues as with most gm vehicles. I've been a mechanic for 11 years and mainly work on gm foe their known issues. Sure other makes and models of other Vehicles have issues yes but not the same ones over and over. Look at this truck for example on here of the same issues over and over. That's not my fault that would be a gm engineering fault. You can defend them all day but if you aren't working on them everyday you don't understand anything about these vehicles trust me. I use to love the truck it's looks style and handling were amazing but at what cost? Half of what the truck is worth. You are entitled to your opinion as am I. I've helped several on here with my mechanical knowledge about these vehicles so I'm not just on here complaining. I've tried to help but now I'm just going to warn people. I'm on va disability and can't afford to deal with a constant needs vehicle. I thought I was buying reliability and helping the failing American economy but gm has let me down for the last time.

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

The bottom like is that the LY7 3.6L that GM used in the 2004-2009 SRX and many other vehicles (Chevy Traverse and GMC Arcadia) is a POS!!! GM know it and they have extended the engine warranty (for Timing Chains and Oil use) for certain years. Luckily mine is one of them. Mine has used oil since new so the BS that some here spew about proper break in is just that; BS!!! I would never recommend ANY GM vehicles that has this engine. Mine will be gone as soon as the warranty is up

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.