SICK OF THIS CRAPPY 3.6!!! LS Swap anyone??? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, SICK OF THIS CRAPPY 3.6!!! LS Swap anyone??? in Cadillac SRX Forums; While proper oil maintenance is needed. (Checking levels and changing as needed). The timing chains are KNOWN to stretch and ...
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    While proper oil maintenance is needed. (Checking levels and changing as needed).
    The timing chains are KNOWN to stretch and in some cases break. No matter how well you maintain the oils there are some that will fail regardless of what you do. It is / was bad enough that "worthless" GM decided to extend a special warranty specifically for this chain for certain years / models. It's certainly not something they HAD to do (I do agree they should have done it and it would have been nice for a larger year coverage).

You have to consider the cost for GM to do this type of extension. And the likely number of original owners left with the car. The lower numbers of OO left in a model year would likely reduce the chances of that year being covered by an extended warranty. And for the OO that are left if they have a good relationship with their selling dealer and service dealer (which I'm sure GM expects those to be 1 in the same) you could likely get a repair done free or with a decent discount if you approach the situation properly when at the dealer. It will sound a bit harsh but for the most part the Original Owner is all that matter to Cadillac (well actually any car company really). It's also possible that instead of giving you help with the fix you might be able to work a good sales deal on another new caddy with them as it can be, in some circumstances, to offer a discount of some form on a new car; this could be offering you more for your trade or them taking care of taxes or something else to gives you that "feel good" feeling about the whole ordeal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

Re: SICK OF THIS CRAPPY 3.6!!! LS Swap anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by holstbnet View Post
    I don't understand why people join vehicle enthusiast forums just to vent and complain about how much they hate their car.
    Do you know what "forum" means?

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    A $50k truck shouldn't use oil.
    ALL ENGINES USE OIL. But I'm sure you won't agree with me on this and that fine you don't have to.
    You may not notice it in all cases but they do. How often you change oil has an effect on if you notice it. If you change oil every 3k miles and "burn" a quart every 9k you likely won't even notice the 1/4 a quart low at the 3k mark. My northstar typically runs about 10-12k miles before OLM is at 20% and when I check the dipstick it doesn't seem to move off of the middle of the hash marks. But I'm sure there is some usage of oil but it's hard to see on the dipstick as even a slight hill will change how full it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by rlh6805 View Post
    Mine will be gone as soon as the warranty is up
    Have you had a timing chain issue with yours?
    Just because it uses oil doesn't mean you will have an issue. You could do the catch can mod the CTS guys do it may help your usage. Regardless you might as well sell it while there is still some warranty left on it as that would make it more desirable to the next owner / dealer to know that there is still coverage on it.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOM_FIST
    Yea, like I said...should have researched before making a purchase but my wife's POS Cobalt was about to take a crap and I wanted to off-load that before it croaked. Now, I'm stuck with this. The Cobalt was paid off, this is not. I just said I found a complete running truck for $2000. How do you figure $3000? I snatch the drivetrain, harness, and ECU and whatever else from that and partout the rest to make an easy $1000-$1500 just in parts, not to include my old V6 for a couple hundred or so....I'd nearly break even. This is just in thought...and I don't really foresee too much fabrication unless I'm way off of what I think the motor mounts look like??? The engine bay is more than capable of fitting a V8 obviously as it came factory with one. The only issue would be the rear end which wouldn't be a huge hassle in my opinion with a leaf spring set-up or with further R&D a coil spring set-up. Custom driveshaft to the 4l60 or 4l80 and V8 springs up front. The harness will be a nightmare but what harness isn't? Just looking for any other option than cramming in another crappy V6 for the same price....
    Because that obviously isnt an LSx. Trucks never got the LSx they got the vortec that's why. Only LSx trucks are the TBSS 9-7 Areo SSR and Silverado SS. All had the LS2 which is a 4-6k engine. LS1 is 2-4k. There is NO way on earth your touching an LS2 for 2k unless its stolen. I know this because I am currently LS2 swapping my 98 LS1 Camaro. Pricing is also depending on mileage. Also the issue is by far not the rear end but integrating all the electronics properly. This isn't putting an LSx in a 60's Camaro where you can just install a stand alone harness. Your srx has an ECM which is the main brain for all other modules in your car. You'll spend more money and time trying to wire it up so it runs (let alone the time to get all the other modules to work together and communicate) that yes I can safely say its not financially worth it unless you have a GM engineering team at your disposal to complete the swap and software team to program everything.

Stop wasting time spinning your wheels fix what you got or dump it. /thread.

If want my LS1 with 4l60e and the ls2 ECM and harness for $2500 come and get it comes with full LS2 accessories.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post

ALL ENGINES USE OIL. But I'm sure you won't agree with me on this and that fine you don't have to.
    You may not notice it in all cases but they do. How often you change oil has an effect on if you notice it. If you change oil every 3k miles and "burn" a quart every 9k you likely won't even notice the 1/4 a quart low at the 3k mark. My northstar typically runs about 10-12k miles before OLM is at 20% and when I check the dipstick it doesn't seem to move off of the middle of the hash marks. But I'm sure there is some usage of oil but it's hard to see on the dipstick as even a slight hill will change how full it looks.

Just because it uses oil doesn't mean you will have an issue. You could do the catch can mod the CTS guys do it may help your usage. Regardless you might as well sell it while there is still some warranty left on it as that would make it more desirable to the next owner / dealer to know that there is still coverage on it.

Totally agreed on oil usage but I have several vehicles all over 200k miles with 5k mile mobil one oil changes with very little usage and is barely noticeable. The ly7 on the other hand has to be monitored more than tire pressure and light bulbs being out. Maybe not all gm. But the ly7 should have never been made. What happened to the old days where engines ran for days in a warehouse for break in. Gm couldn't manage their money and had to get bailed out and were already cutting corners in quality.

Well I don't like the LY7 at all either but it does take some time to perfect new engine designs. Look at how long it took for the northstar issues to get resolved.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    Look at how long it took for the northstar issues to get resolved.
    That's a horrible example. The time it took for GM to resolve the HG issue, I'm sure you'd agree, was totally and utterly unacceptable. 7 years for the first attempt, 11/12 for the second/final fix.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    That's a horrible example. The time it took for GM to resolve the HG issue, I'm sure you'd agree, was totally and utterly unacceptable. 7 years for the first attempt, 11/12 for the second/final fix.
    I have owned 8 N* cars only one that blew a hg was one running a 100 shot of nitrous. I never complained and wouldn't hesitate to buy another L37.

The HG issues were less common than the timing chain issues are. The changes made in 2000 (or was it 2002) took care of a lot of the issues. But there was at least a "permanent fix" by studding it. The timing chains don't have a permanent fix that I know of. Not sure why GM can't just change to a stronger chain that won't stretch or break. Higher tensile strength steel or thicker chain.
    I'd bet they tried to fix it at least a little with the direct injection model but it didn't seem to help much if they did.

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post

No, I have not had any issues with the chains. Although I check the oil regularly. I suspect that low oil levels can be attributed to the timing chain issues. GM reflashed my PCM to shorten the OLM interval about a year ago. They did this for those people who never check their oil level and who only go by the OLM to determine when a change is needed. Honestly, I like the vehicle other than the motor so I'm going to get as much use out of it for as long as I feel safe (warranty).

roadbike56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

The LS engine can generate a lot of HP and a lot of torque. Depending on how it's set up, you could be seriously taxing the capabilities of the remaining drive train parts.
    On the other hand, it might be cool to own a SRX with enough muscle to blow off most rice rockets.

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

The LS small block was installed in the CTS-V (manual trans only IIRC) which is a close sibling to our SRX. So the basics of the mounting should be factory parts or close to it.

Of course the difficult issue in my view is the drivetrain (not sure how well a 4L60/65 fits the tunnel - and don't think the LS block pattern fits the 4L50) and if a 4wd - can you use a Trailblazer t-case?
    Then of course the electronics, which is certainly do-able but complex - again the CTS-V might be useful as a donor/guide.

I think it would make an excellent vehicle, but not economical to do - have to be a labor of love.

drivetrain wise i'd say the CTS is not very close to the SRX ... the STS is much more similar if not exact clone.
    Interior wise the early SRX is damn near a clone of the CTS.

SELL THE 3.6L SRX AND BUY THE 4.6L NORTHSTAR SRX.
    It will be much cheaper and more reliable than doing an engine swap.

holstbnet is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've thought about that LS swap for a lonnng time, i.e. making a SRX-V. I'd love to take an 04-06 SRX with a blown engine and swap in an LS with a 6 speed manual. Sounds crazy but the 04-06 SRX interior being so close to the CTS means that the shifter/center console would bolt in, the clusters are the same (CTS-V cluster!!).. wiring, driveshaft, rear diff would be the hard stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by holstbnet
    I've thought about that LS swap for a lonnng time, i.e. making a SRX-V. I'd love to take an 04-06 SRX with a blown engine and swap in an LS with a 6 speed manual. Sounds crazy but the 04-06 SRX interior being so close to the CTS means that the shifter/center console would bolt in, the clusters are the same (CTS-V cluster!!).. wiring, driveshaft, rear diff would be the hard stuff.
    04-06 ran GM Dataclass 2 like the early V.

07+ runs GM LAN.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.