2004 SRX AWD V8 - lower control arm replacement question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2004 SRX AWD V8 - lower control arm replacement question in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello all, I've referenced this site in the past for other repairs, but have not posted yet... unfortunately I have ...
    Crocky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX

2004 SRX AWD V8 - lower control arm replacement question

Hello all, I've referenced this site in the past for other repairs, but have not posted yet... unfortunately I have to today

I've been experiencing some creaking noise in the front end of my SRX for the past 3-4 months when coming to a stop or turning the wheels to a great degree. I had my coolant flushed this weekend, and while it was on the rack I had them give me an opinion on the creaking noise. The write-up from the mechanic is below. (FYI, this privately owned repair shop has a GREAT reputation in town)

"Note: the creaking noise is caused by the bushings in the lower control arms. The left outer tie rod and the right front wheel bearing have excessive play"

1) lower control arms: $310.82 each, swaybar links: $100.82 each, labor: $268.50 = total $990.94
    2) Outer Tie Rod Ends: $151.59 each, labor: $170.05, alignment: 89.95 = total $563.98
    3) Wheel Bearing: $388.50, labor: 152.15 = Total $540.65

Grand total of $2,200 +

OK, after all that, here comes the question. We have a 1200 mile round trip planned for in-between Christmas and new year, is this the type of repair issue that is going to cause safety concerns on a long drive? Secondly, is it 100% necessary to have all the repairs done at once? Or can I take care of the "excessive play" issues at a later date?

This is a creaking noise and the mechanic's write up said "excessive play" with the tie rod and bearing... Just trying to determine if I absolutely have to get this done before the trip.

Lastly, I did a quick google search and found the parts they quoted were about double what I could find them at "autopartswarehouse" and Autozone. Anyone else have any recommendations for finding parts online cheap?

Thanks for any advice!
    -C

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Re: 2004 SRX AWD V8 - lower control arm replacement question

Lower Control Arm bushings are a very very common issue that plague the SRX and STS lines.
    Consider obtaining parts from Chris Heath @ RippyCadillac, he can get you new OEM parts for better than you would typically pay at a dealer, and they will have the GM part warranty intact.
    If you have someone other than a GM dealer install the parts I don't believe you will get the labor warranty that would go with it.

That local shop may allow you to provide your own parts.

Chris has been very helpful to many on this site and using his discounted parts you may be able to do all 3 problems for the cost of 2 of them.

Personally I think all of them will just be "annoying" I wouldn't consider them to be a safety issue.

Thanks for the reply Luda. I will keep Chris' email on hand and send an email with an inquiry about the components I was quoted.

I actually called the repair shop back yesterday and was told this was a safety concern and should not be driving long distances without getting the fix done... Not that I don't believe them, but I'm assuming there was some concern for liability if they told me differently. They also told me if I order the pieces myself, there would not be any warranty (1 year through them) associated with the repair. Seemed a bit odd to me.

I'll continue my search for options here... Thanks!

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    It's only your suspension... Don't make any turns on said trip you'll do just fine...

Seriously it's a Cadillac. Expensive repairs are part of the ticket for admission. Fix it and fix it right. It's getting bad out. A wheel bearing controls your ABS and traction control. Have those fail out in bad conditions you'll have loads of fun. LCA is simply responsible for holding your entire suspension together. It's creaking as the bushing that supports it is torn. When (not if) that whole bushing blows out you will have fun trying to maintain the car especially at high speeds. Tie rods well that controls your steering. If the joint get excessive play an pops out when you go to turn one wheel will turn the other wont. For the sway bar that controls body roll. Switching lanes turning hard the sway bar keeps the body level so it doesn't roll out on you....

I don't mean to come off as an ass here but I'm going to assume since you have an SRX you'll have several people in the car likely kids too. Is it worth their lives if any 1 of the 3 major concerns fails and you put your truck into a ditch. Repair will be a lot more expensive then too...

If you "have" to cheapen out I highly suggest you do not drive it until you fix it but in order of importance...

Tie Rods
    Bearing
    LCA (as they could hold up for awhile depending how long it's been doing it)
    End Links

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

1. tie rod
    2. wheel hub
    3. control arm
    Do them in that order for safety.
    If the tie rod lets go you are done, wheel bearings usually last even with play, but don't leave it unattended.
    Creaky control arms are annoying but won't kill you.

No need to do them all at once unless they offer you a discount on labor for being there if all the stuff is in proximity.

Understood about the safety issues. Thanks for the replies.

We'll most likely be driving our other vehicle on our trip and get the SRX issues resolved when we get back. Nothing like starting off the new year $2k lighter in the pocket!

Where are you at. The members here are a great bunch and usually willing to help out.

I can install everything you have listed there the only issue would be an alignment after the LCAs (not completely necessary but HIGHLY recommended)

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Where are you at. The members here are a great bunch and usually willing to help out.

I can install everything you have listed there the only issue would be an alignment after the LCAs (not completely necessary but HIGHLY recommended)
    Located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Anyone that knows of a good place to go for this issue in town, I'm all ears (or eyes)!

I'm in Pgh. It's a trip for you to come here haha.

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    I'm in Toledo. It's a lot closer but still not close lol. It's crazy. I can get your wheel bearing for 45$ gm lcas for 230$ end links for 28 a side. And tie rod for 25$

JJG
    JJG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Don't know about your control arm question, but i have an '04 v-8 srx, that has serious transfer case problems. It sounds like a gatling gun when accelerating. Anyone have this problem?...i've heard it's a frequent issue with the 2004-2006 srx. Any help would be appreciated. ------ john email: john-g@verizon.net

Make your own tread. Why hijack one that has nithing to do with your issue?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.