First Oil Change...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MoistCabbage
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, First Oil Change... in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...I bought my 2008 SRX4 3.6 V6 the first week of August and only have about 2000 miles on it ...
    silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

First Oil Change...

...I bought my 2008 SRX4 3.6 V6 the first week of August and only have about 2000 miles on it since purchase but I don't know when the oil was last changed...my Oil Life Monitor showed about 75% but the oil was black...it was honey colored when I checked it at the time of purchase...so...

...I don't see a lot of information on this Forum about maintenance and performance items and such as I would on many of another forums I belong or have belonged to but have to remember to check the first generation CTS forum for some of that...

...in doing somme research, I went looking for an oil filter cartridge as I am a satisfied synthetic oil customer and my preference is for Mobil 1...cartridge filters are another matter...

...for past cars, I usually used K&N or Mobil 1...even the A/C Delco Ultraguard (Gold) filters when they were available for my Corvette, GTO and other GM cars...but choices seemed different this time around for the SRX...

...K&N doesn't seem to have a Heavy Duty cartridge but does make a Pro filter but I don't know where they cut costs from their Heavy Duty line so I passed on this...

...Wix and Napa Gold (same filter???)...I have no experience with them but many seek to like them...I wish I could find more information on these and may even use one if I could find one when looking for the next oil change...

...Mobil 1 are priced about double what everyone else is...I suspect a little elitism here as they seem to stand alone on price, therefore I passed as I don't see anything that coincides with this increased price/filter ratio over other good brands...

...Purolator shows Classic, Gold and Synthetic filters but I was only able to find the classic cartridge and the price and performance did not make me choose this one...IIRC it was foreign made too but I could be wrong, I looked at a lot of data over the past few days...

...A/C Delco PF2129 (Professional) is OE for our 3.6 liter and I had read several differing opinions of this filter cartridge here and elsewhere but the one I found was made in the USA and had metal ends as well as the mesh behind the cellulose (paper) filter media...this was my choice as I don't see how I can go wrong with OE until I find something that is clearly better is the performance/cost ratio...

...an addition on the Delco...I saw photos along with the filter cartridges online with the plastic end Delcos that had been reported by someone to have collapsed in use...the Delco number of the one I saw online had a letter at the end of the product number G and another had an R at the end of the product number...these had been reported to be made outside the USA too so if you get a chance, and can make the purchase in person, look at the cartridge before buying...

...I know there are other choices out there and I can find a larger selection of filters online than I could at the places I shopped (Wal*Mart, Meijer, Advance, O'Reilly's, Autozone, Farm and Fleet)...

...the PF2129 and some Mobil 1 5w30 exceeds the GM spec and I now have a valid starting point for my 3.6 liter...hopefully I won't have one that burns oil or has a cam chain issue...

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You could use a $500 gold plated filter blessed by Ghandi... Your oil is still going to get dark. Oil contains detergents (and synthetics have higher detergent levels), it's constantly cleaning contaminants out of the crankcase. The color of the oil has nothing to do with it's ability to lubricate, not is it an indication that it needs to be changed . Expensive filters are a waste of money. A regular WIX/Purolator filter is all you need.

That said, use whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside .
    RippyPartsDept and rlh6805 like this.

mwswarrior is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX
    Have used napa gold/wix for years with numerous vehicles both two and four wheel with no issues. Recommend fleetfilter.com for good prices across the board.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: First Oil Change...

Is your . key sticky?

On my CTS I used a Fram because it was on the shelf and cheap, better is such a hard thing to define, a great media is nice but if the end caps come off or the core fails then who cares right. Go with what does not fail and you are ahead of the game.

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

Google Fram filters. The used to be top-of-the-line years ago; now-a-days, they are on the bottom.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

Fram has taken abuse for years...why are they still in business if their product is so bad???...please...personally I use something other than Fram but the must be doing something right...

Bill

----------

cone, the "..." came about when I first got my iMac computer...it seems that on some Forums, my sentences all ran together even when I separated paragraphs...the three dots at least made it appear there was a break...then it became habit...

MoistCabbage...I understand about lubrications purposes and color, I just don't know who did the last oil change or with what they used...so, since I recently bought it and noted the change in color (its doing as designed) I decided it couldn't hurt to get a starting point where I know what was used and when it was changed...

...as to oil filters...they do make a difference...will they make a high difference over the time I own this vehicle???...who knows...what I do know are that at the cheap end it is $3 and at the high end (excluding the $15 M-1 cartridge) is about $8...I won't go broke buying something better than the cheapest I can find...the Delco falls about the middle and meets all GM specs...

Bill

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

MoistCabbage...I understand about lubrications purposes and color, I just don't know who did the last oil change or with what they used...so, since I recently bought it and noted the change in color (its doing as designed) I decided it couldn't hurt to get a starting point where I know what was used and when it was changed...

OH! and don't forget to check front differential level (and all other reservoirs)

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Oh absolutely. Every time I've bought a car, I've changed the fluids, even if the dealer/PO said it was just done.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.