Shell Gasoline and Intake Valve Deposits
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Shell Gasoline and Intake Valve Deposits in Cadillac SRX Forums; It's true. It's clean. If your valves have deposits, you're using the wrong gasoline. Period. This engine has no silly ...
    ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Shell Gasoline and Intake Valve Deposits

It's true. It's clean. If your valves have deposits, you're using the wrong gasoline. Period. This engine has no silly "catch can," has a high oil consumption rate, has original valve stem seals, has seen factory OCIs using some dino (but mostly synthetic) oil, and has a history of light sludging.

Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: Shell Gasoline and Intake Valve Deposits

On a Non-DI you are correct, we have heads in here with 140,000 miles on them and not a spec of deposits anywhere the fuel spray makes contact. But the oil causes detonation, less power, and carbon build up on the pistons and combustion chamber on port injection engines so the benefits are many for all engines.

But the DI engines are totally different as the fuel never touches the intake valves

Here is a port injection engine showing how the fuel is constantly drenching the intake valves so the detergents not only keep them clean, they also keep deposits from forming in the port where they touch as shown here:

Port injection:

And a DI:

There is not a DI engine made that the fuel touches the intake valves in any amount that the detergents can have any effect.

I tear these down non stop and we also do on the car manual valve cleaning.

Here is a before and after of the manual cleaning:

RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

JayTF1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

good stuff guys, thanks. SC2150: good tips = Direct injection vs Port injection

I swear by top tier gasoline, and shop at Shell religiously for my Northstar. Everyone tells me I'm crazy for turning my nose up at cheaper gas, but I feel it makes a difference in the long run.

It is critical on any non DI as far as valve deposits. Now piston ringlands will still build up oil burn residue and cause the rings to not move freely compounding the oil consumption issues, but there is no disputing the effect on intake valves.

Here is an example of a DI engines run with top tier fuels:

That is where stopping the oil ingestion is critical.

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

which injection method do the northstars have?

Port injection. Use a good top tier detergent fuel and your valves will always look like new.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD
    I am not going to start another flame war, and get ready for another core dump of information, but GM says their direct injection engines do spray gasoline on the intake valve precisely to reduce these kinds of deposits that other engine manufacturers see.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.