Winter Tire Pressure (psi)?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By conedoctor
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Winter Tire Pressure (psi)? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello All, it's me with yet another question for you. I am wondering what psi to set my winter tires ...
    pennypup is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 V8 SRX4 w/ Sport Package

Winter Tire Pressure (psi)?

Hello All, it's me with yet another question for you.

I am wondering what psi to set my winter tires at. I have a 2007 srx 4 with the 20" wheel option.
    For the winter I bought 17" rims and 235/65/17 Bridgestone Blizzaks. On the sidewall of the tire, it doesn't give the psi for them to be set at, just the max and refers to the manual or placard on the car for the pressure.
    However, the manual gives no info and the placard on the car gives the psi for the 20" tires only. (30 psi front, 32 psi rear)

I'm wondering if the winter tires should be set at the same psi at my summer tires which sit on rims 3" bigger and low profile tires), or should I have a different psi for them?

Last year I had them installed at a garage and they filled the tires; I guess I should have checked what psi they filled them to at the time, but I didn't. I installed them myself today, but now the SRX is sitting in the driveway, unused, as I suddenly realized I have no clue what psi they should be at LOL.

At least this year, I realized I can set the tire pressure monitors myself and have done so. I drove around all last year with the tire pressure warning light on LOL!

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

Re: Winter Tire Pressure (psi)?

My '08 SRX came with 17" wheels and the placard indicates 31psig all around.

jadatis is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It can be calculated with one of my spreadsheets, in wich I use the same formula that the European tyre-makers used for decades and the American TRA swiched over to in 2006. Later spreadsheets ( latest is my motorhome-calculator wich can be used for this too with some car so only by me) work with an even better one I made and is a combination of the official used and one I found described by an American IR J.C.Daws, and leads to saver pressures for the tires.

So if you give the details from car and tires, I can calculate a save lowest pressure to use.
    I expect the 17" to need a lower pressure because the sidewall is higher, the given maximum load will be higher, or it is a P- tire and your 20"are XL/Extraload/reinforced , wich need higher pressure for the maximum load to carry. The 20" most likely are XL// , its often because of the low hight width division called Aspect Ratio, to give it the same diameter as the 17".

From car
    GVWR ( gross vehicle weight rating) , GAWR's ( Gross axle weight ratings), If you have them real weight axle , or better even seperate wheel-weights in de condition you ride it.
    Maximum speed of car or speed you sertainly wont go over. Or empty weight and the way you load it ( persons and load) to estimate the axle loads.
    If it is done the camber angle of mostly only the rear wheels ( tires like this on the axle/-\).

From tires the exact sises , Loadindex or maximum load, kind of tire and given maxload or maximum pressure. If the tires are off road kind with large profile blocks that cover the sidewall a part, yudge that and write it down too, those have lower maximum save load then is written on them.

I answered without logging in or registering , only used the human verification, so wont get a message of new posts , but will follow this topic by making a favourit of it .

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I set mine at 32F-34R, I would set them to 32 front/rear and call it a day.
    pennypup likes this.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

I know some people over-pressurize tires to save fuel, but this will wear out tires faster and can also cause potentially hazardous conditions. There are also some people who under-inflate to maximize traction in the winter. Bottom-line is: Tires should be pumped to the recommended pressure which is the same pressure level whether it is summer or winter.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    All mine set at 40

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by 08SRX
    I know some people over-pressurize tires to save fuel, but this will wear out tires faster and can also cause potentially hazardous conditions. There are also some people who under-inflate to maximize traction in the winter. Bottom-line is: Tires should be pumped to the recommended pressure which is the same pressure level whether it is summer or winter.
    Right, but the recommended pressure is wrong if you change tire size.

Wow, that's a mouth full jadatis. I think you made my brain melt LOL

Summer Tire Info: Goodyear Eagle RS-A 255/50/20 SL (44psi max)
    Winter Tire Info: Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-1 235/65/17 XL (50psi max)

Car Specs: V8 AWD
    GVWR 7200lbs
    GAWR 4000lbs

Max occupancy family of 5 (3 small children) plus big dog no more than 500lbs.

Highest speed 130km/h (80-ish m/h)

No camber of the wheels that I know of.

I pumped the tires up to the recommended setting as per the placard for now, as I had to get around LOL

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    All mine set at 40
    I can't see the trade offs being worth the saving in fuel.

Back when I was a boy and I had my first AutoX car I ran 55-60 PSI in the tires so they would not roll over, the drive home was bumpy lets say lol man I could go through A520's

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

I run 34 on all corners of mine.

I ended up calling Cadillac Canada, and the woman I spoke with had no idea either and suggested I call the tire manufacturer. So I said f-it and set them all to 33psi LOL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.