SRX Gross Vehicle Weight?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, SRX Gross Vehicle Weight? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hey, does anyone know what the Gross Vehicle Weight of the SRX will be? Will it be over 6,000 pounds ...
    jiblumen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question SRX Gross Vehicle Weight?

Hey, does anyone know what the Gross Vehicle Weight of the SRX will be? Will it be over 6,000 pounds and qualify for the SUV tax break? I just got a new one, so I'm certainly hoping so.

I've heard curb weight is somewhere around 4400 pounds, and I'm not sure whether or not that includes the Ultraview roof and third row. Also, remember that to qualify for the tax break, we're not talking about curb weight, but gross vehicle weight, which is whatever the car can be essentially be loaded up with on top of the curb weight.

If anyone hears anything, please let me know!

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cuhulin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

No such luck

Unbelievably, it is 5897 lbs. I had the same question and checked on the door of one.

Why Cadillac would skip this possibility amazes me, particularly when the ML and X5 both have a compliant GVWR.

Re: No such luck

Quote Originally Posted by Cuhulin
    Unbelievably, it is 5897 lbs. I had the same question and checked on the door of one.

Why Cadillac would skip this possibility amazes me, particularly when the ML and X5 both have a compliant GVWR.
    Ugh- I think I'm going to be sick.

I actually saw another forum where they listed the same amount, but I was wondering if anyone had any cotnrasting information. My dealer actually told me that it would qualify. With the third row and sunroof, he estimated the curb weight to be somewhere around 4800 pounds. With the 7 passengers piled in there and whatever else qualifies for GVW, maybe you can get over 6,000 pounds?

Time to get some overweight friends. lol

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

Which model did you get that info off of? I have heard that the 2wd version does not qualify, but the 4wd version does.

Also there is legislation currently in commitee that would close this loophole for next year, so it may very well be irrelavent anyway.

Brett,

I got the info off a 4wd Northstar -- which was both the one likely to have the highest GVWR, I thought, and the model in which I am interested.

It is true that the loophole is under challenge in a Senate committee, but the current legislation that I have heard about merely roles back the increases that were in this year's tax bill -- i.e., one could still take a $25K write-off, which isn't chickenfeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    Which model did you get that info off of? I have heard that the 2wd version does not qualify, but the 4wd version does.

Also there is legislation currently in commitee that would close this loophole for next year, so it may very well be irrelavent anyway.

I think the problem is in the way the rating is done. If I understand correctly, different option packages and the like do not change the GVWR.

Now, the real question is how the tax code is worded. If it revovles around the rating on the door, no way one gets the deduction -- and I will probably buy an ESV -- but if it has more room for argument, that would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by jiblumen
    Ugh- I think I'm going to be sick.

I actually saw another forum where they listed the same amount, but I was wondering if anyone had any cotnrasting information. My dealer actually told me that it would qualify. With the third row and sunroof, he estimated the curb weight to be somewhere around 4800 pounds. With the 7 passengers piled in there and whatever else qualifies for GVW, maybe you can get over 6,000 pounds?

Time to get some overweight friends. lol

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Curb Weight 4,340 lbs (V8, RWD)
    4,478 (V8, AWD)
    Curb Weight 4,225 lbs (V6, RWD)
    4,370 (V6, AWD)

came straight from cadillac's website.
    I'm not sure if you can make the 6000lb gvwr

Angry Bad News

Just so no one makes the mistake that I did...

The V6 AWD's GVW is 5754 pounds. The V8 AWD's GVW is 5856 pounds. This is straight from Cadillac (just got off the phone with them).

What's particularly annoying (and misleading about this) is that a salesman specifically stated to me that the SRX qualifies for the tax break. It was a blatant lie. I bought the car and I am very happy with it, however I am strongly considering never buying a Cadillac again because of the misleading salesmanship I received. It annoys me to no end that many of these salesmen treat you like an idiot and lie to you to no end to get a sale. I agree completely with a strategy of closing down dealerships that do not meet a prescribed level of quality. This is unbelievable.

Re: Bad News

that really sucks. Lexus had to buy back some GX470's earlier this year becaue of this. However in their case they were mislabled as being >6000lbs. Im not sure what recourse you have, have you talked to the GM or anubody at the dealership?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    that really sucks. Lexus had to buy back some GX470's earlier this year becaue of this. However in their case they were mislabled as being >6000lbs. Im not sure what recourse you have, have you talked to the GM or anubody at the dealership?
    Not yet. I just got off the phone with Cadillac about the GVW. I have to think about what I'm going to do next. Have you heard anything like this before, and what someone in a similar position did?

Well the only people I have heard having the problem is a number of Lexus owners. But Lexus had actually labeled the cars wrong so they definitely had to take responsibility. In this case Cadillac did nothing wrong, the salesman screwed you. I really have no idea what they would/could do. The loss of that deduction will defifnitley cost you several thousand. Unfortunately I dont see them coughing up the money and they probably have lost a custmer for life........if all else fails tell the saleman you slept with his wife, at least you'll get a modicum of satisfaction.

Terpnut is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: SRX Gross Vehicle Weight?

Current production SRX's: 6,008 lbs GVWR. The Caddy is now an eligible truck for the SUV tax deduction/loophole.

msheri01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Check the vin on the vehicle. Any SRX with a vin that starts 1GYEE is rated over 6,000 and qualified for the tax break. If the vin starts 1GYDE it does not. Some of the older inventory vehicles will not, while newer ones will.

doncapecod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Help me out here. What tax break is involved with an SUV w/6000lbs GVWR? TIA.

Terpnut is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you are an accountant, this SUV tax loophole exists in Section 179. For the layperson, it is a loophole that allows business owners to basically expense the entire purchase price of a truck (up to $100k) in the year it is purchased as long as you use it 50% or more for business purposes.

The purpose of the Bush's legislation was to spur economic growth by promoting large capital expenditures of farm equipment, construction vehicles, etc. and to help small businesses. The "loophole" is that the IRS fails to limit the definition of truck and thus allows luxury SUV's for self-employed accountants to qualify! Haven't you ever wondered why your neighborhood real estate brokers, owners of home repair firms, home-based tax planners/accountants, etc. are all driving around in Escalades, Hummers, Navigators and the like? :rolleyes2

You can find a series of decent articles here: http://www.selfemployedweb.com/suv-tax-deduction.htm
    Hope this helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.