2007 Tire Pressure Monitor problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2007 Tire Pressure Monitor problems in Cadillac SRX Forums; A few weeks ago, I got a "check right rear tire pressure" message on my dash. It showed a reading ...
    Terry Lange is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX

2007 Tire Pressure Monitor problems

A few weeks ago, I got a "check right rear tire pressure" message on my dash. It showed a reading of 26 psi, which is the trigger to initiate the message. However, a check with an accurate tire guage showed a reading of 30 psi. I increased the pressure to 40 psi, but I still get the message and the reading of 26 psi. Yet, when I drive on the freeway and the psi increases on its own, the message disappears, and the reading shows 27 or 28 psi.

I don't understand why the TPM is recognizing a 1 lb. psi increase from freeway driving, but won't recognize a 14 psi increase from an air hose.

I stopped by a Big O tire store, and they wanted $30.00 to "scan" all 4 tpm's, but also admitted that they didn't figure that would solve the problem. I suspect the rr tpm is defective, and replacing it would solve the problem. I have an air compressor at home, so don't have a need to pay a tire shop to mess around with (and charge me for) air pressure adjustments.

Any suggestions on what might be going on here? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I've been having this same issue with my rr one dropping to 0 psi at random. Of course never happens while at the shop lol.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The battery is probably dying. They're 6 years old.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Re: 2007 Tire Pressure Monitor problems

Please check the pressure in all your tires. You may find that tires were rotated, but TPMS was not updated. Therefore, wheels may be in different locations from what the monitor thinks. There is a danger that you are over-inflating the wrong tire thinking it is the one with low pressure.

Typical tire rotation is as follows, which may help you find the true low pressure tire:
    LF to LR
    RF to RR
    LR to RF
    RR to LF

Hope that helps!

Terry Lange is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX

08SRX, thanks for the info. You were right on. I went to a Discount Tire store today, and they took a "reading" on all 4 tires, and determined that the left rear, not the right rear, had a dead sensor. I rotated the tires in my driveway a year ago, and according to the tire store, my right rear tire still thinks it is on the left rear! I tried to reprogram the system at that time from the instructions in the owner's manual, but could not get the horn chirp from the first tire, so it was all down hill from there.

What was interesting today, is that Discount Tire took a tread measurement of all my tires, and determined that it would be "unsafe" to dismount one tire, install a new TPM, and remount the tire for "safety and liability reasons". Some 18 year old kid is going to tell me that I need $850.00 worth of new tires before they will help me, when after almost half a century of driving cars, I have always made the decisions of when the tires needed to be replaced (and haven't guessed wrong yet.) I only drive about 5K a year in this car, and know that the existing tires are good for at least one more year. Not a money issue at all, I just don't like throwing away something that is still serviceable. Looks like I will be driving around for a year with that orange light glowing in the dash.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    On some vehicle not sure about ours but would lose cruise control and or eventually traction control with the tpms light on.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

I think my next set of tires will all be the same size, so I can start "rotating" them.

Every time I get my tires replace, they miss assign the TPMS on the wrong tires.. Then the system tells me my right rear is low, but really it was the left front, for example.

I've learned to check that before leaving,,, I let a little air out of a tire in the parking lot, then look to see when one drops in the system.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Lange View Post
    08SRX, thanks for the info. You were right on. I went to a Discount Tire store today, and they took a "reading" on all 4 tires, and determined that the left rear, not the right rear, had a dead sensor. I rotated the tires in my driveway a year ago, and according to the tire store, my right rear tire still thinks it is on the left rear! I tried to reprogram the system at that time from the instructions in the owner's manual, but could not get the horn chirp from the first tire, so it was all down hill from there.

What was interesting today, is that Discount Tire took a tread measurement of all my tires, and determined that it would be "unsafe" to dismount one tire, install a new TPM, and remount the tire for "safety and liability reasons". Some 18 year old kid is going to tell me that I need $850.00 worth of new tires before they will help me, when after almost half a century of driving cars, I have always made the decisions of when the tires needed to be replaced (and haven't guessed wrong yet.) I only drive about 5K a year in this car, and know that the existing tires are good for at least one more year. Not a money issue at all, I just don't like throwing away something that is still serviceable. Looks like I will be driving around for a year with that orange light glowing in the dash.
    good luck elsewhere but welcome to the world of nannies brought on by lawsuits for spilled coffee being hot...imagine buying coffee and after spilling it finding it was hot...who can we blame...

Bill

Linkinyeah is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac SRX ALL WD V8

Dumb question. I have a 2005 V8 AWD. The front tires are different sizes than the back, so I can never really rotate the tires from front to back. Is this correct?

Ranger007 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX 3.6

repnatl said
    "On some vehicle not sure about ours but would lose cruise control and or eventually traction control with the tpms light on."

Never heard that, but probably true. Above referenced "world of nannies". I always thought the light staying on was annoying enough.

Linkinyeah, yes they came with different sizes from front to back. When I replaced them, I put the same size all around. Don't remember the size I went with, but the tire shop had no problem with my choice.

Bill

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

There's nothing in the SM I could find indicating a TPMS failure would disable any other functions.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Ya I cant see that happening either as the spare does not have sensor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.