Cornucopia of CEL Codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Cornucopia of CEL Codes in Cadillac SRX Forums; 2005 SRX 3.6 V6 2wd, 99k Two weeks ago I had a P0496 code pop up. After replacing Purge Solenoid ...
    jmanny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

Cornucopia of CEL Codes

2005 SRX 3.6 V6 2wd, 99k

Two weeks ago I had a P0496 code pop up. After replacing Purge Solenoid in engine compartment the code cleared on it's own. I replaced a loose gas cap also.

This past Saturday, I was stopped at a light and engine began to run rough and CEL was flashing. This lasted less than a minute and did not come back until this morning while merging onto the interstate, luckily the traffic was backed up and I didn't have to floor it. CEL light flashed but no solid light. Again it lasted less than a minute.
    Went to Auto Zone this afternoon and had them pull any stored codes.

I have the following codes:

P0202
    P0300
    P0302

I researched the flashing CEL and came up with a misfire situation. So I planned on replacing plugs this weekend and hoped that the CEL would stay lit so I could pinpoint what coil may need to be replaced. After looking at the codes, I would like to ask the experts for some help on possibly nailing down what the issue is.

On an unrelated (maybe) note when I unlocked the car using the remote this morning, the radio came on at the same time without me even putting the key in. This afternoon while at Auto Zone after reading codes and removing key and shutting the door the radio stayed on again....I am thinking this may be haunted with electrical problems......At least the engine doesn't burn excessive oil, LOL

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Cornucopia of CEL Codes

300 &302 are misfire. 202 is injector control circuit, cyl 2 (causing misfire cyl 2). Probably wiring related. Look for shorted (bare wire) in harness near injector or where it might rub. If you can't find anything, I can help with more detailed diagnostics.
    BTW, that's front cyl, driver side.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I'm curious with the p0300 also could be something else fuel or computer related. When we're the plugs and or fuel filter changed? I've dealt with injector issues with these before and ended up being an ecu.

I purchased the SRX in July, it didn't have any service records at all so I have no idea when/if the plugs have been changed. My guess is they haven't. I plan on changing them over the weekend. I'll check the wiring for the injector then. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and change out the coil for cylinder 2 along with the plug since I am getting the misfire code for that cyl.
    I was also curious as to why it threw the P0300 code. I figured if it was a bad coil or misfire it would only throw the code for that cylinder.

When I get it apart and check the wiring, I'll post if I can't find any bare wires or shorts.
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated

New plugs could cure the entire ordeal except the injector issue. Check to see if it is spraying correctly.

JayTF1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Quote Originally Posted by jmanny
    I purchased the SRX in July, it didn't have any service records at all so I have no idea when/if the plugs have been changed. My guess is they haven't. I plan on changing them over the weekend. I'll check the wiring for the injector then. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and change out the coil for cylinder 2 along with the plug since I am getting the misfire code for that cyl.
    I was also curious as to why it threw the P0300 code. I figured if it was a bad coil or misfire it would only throw the code for that cylinder.

When I get it apart and check the wiring, I'll post if I can't find any bare wires or shorts.
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated
    Swapping the coil to another cylinder and getting the same code will rule out the coil. Then you can focus on wiring as Blake mentioned Etc.

Changing (or at least inspecting) each plug is a good idea if you dont know the history record. Check for fouling.

300 is a general misfire code, usually comes up when a specific code appears. You can ignore it.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will change the plugs and the coil for cyl. 2 then I inspect all the wiring for the injector. I'll update the post afterwards.

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

change the plug and the coil for cy2, if it still exist then it's ECM, I had it replaced on my 05 SRX V6 @99k miles, I had the exact same symptoms except mine was a different cylinder code.

Why so eager to replace parts that have not been identified as bad? The days of replacing plugs/coils for a miss are over. Your code says the INJECTOR circuit is the problem, and ONLY cyl.2 injector. Start there.

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    Why so eager to replace parts that have not been identified as bad? The days of replacing plugs/coils for a miss are over. Your code says the INJECTOR circuit is the problem, and ONLY cyl.2 injector. Start there.
    What about the random misfire #2 injector wouldn't have anything to do with the rest of the cylinders.

Code 300 is "misfire detected", not random, unless no other misfire codes.

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)
    The only reason I recommended to replace them because both coil+plug are about 65-70 bucks if he want to buy them and not just replace them with another one from a different cylinder, I'd rather change those and see if the problem get fixed, versus going to the dealer to charge them $130 just for the check.

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

When I knew I had a bad coil, I went to pep boys to see what it would take for me to get a diagnostic so I could have my warranty cover it. If you go in with an engine light on, it's $44 for a diagnostic and they waive the fee if you get the work done there. It's $88 for a diagnostic without the engine light. At least where I live.

Well, I changed the plugs and the coil that was coming up as bad. Still misfiring. Troubleshooting shorts or wiring issues is not something I am comfortable with so it is currently in the shop for diagnosis. I am waiting to see what the verdict is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.