Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Wireless backup camera?

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Kipp 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed a wireless backup camera in our year model range SRX? Is it difficult?

I have wondered about two other possibilities:

1. I bought this car used and found that it has a Kenwood KOS-A200 switching unit installed. It's a wired FM modulator that looks like the previous owner installed to play audio from an iPod or jump drive through a USB port. The unit has several possible inputs, including RCA video. Any possibility of adding a backup camera?

2. Mine is a European spec car bought in Italy. The factory navigation/audio/video system includes a TV tuner that I don't think was available in the U.S. models. Do you suppose there's any way to add a backup camera that transmits on TV broadcast frequencies? Is there even any such thing?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated...thanks!

Ben

#2 ·
Nobody has any experience with wireless backup cameras?

Or know of any other way to tap into the stock nav/audio equipment on a European-spec SRX?

I saw another thread on this forum ("SRX Possible video & Audio AUX") about utilizing the European TV tuner harness to add some functionality to the stock audio equipment, but it's grown cold. Does anyone know anything about these European models? Seems to me that there might be some untapped potential. Unfortunately, vehicle electronics are not really my forte!

Thanks!

#3 ·
A wireless backup camera that uses PAL TV frequencies most likely does not exist because that spectrum is regulated.

To get a backup camera to display on the OEM nav screen you would have to open up the unit and find a way to tap into the signal path from the TV tuner to the display. Then you would need to ensure the feed from the camera is compatible with whatever video standard the display expects. And add a relay function that switches to the TV input when reverse gear is selected.
You'd also have to disable the TV tuner.

This would be a real kludge, and complicated and expensive at that.

Sorry to sound discouraging but it would be better to try to replace the OEM nav and find a way to re integrate a DIC from a non-nav SRX.

#4 ·
Primarily, I was thinking about adding a regular off-the-shelf wireless backup camera and monitor. Hate to have yet another display junking up the inside of the car, though. But, then again, parking is extremely tight in this part of Italy. The backup sensors help, but with such a large vehicle, I'm wondering about other SRX owner's experience with backup cameras, especially wireless.

Secondarily, I keep thinking about that useless European TV capability and wondering if it's possible to redeem that somehow. Probably by hard wiring something into the proper harness.

I'm just kind of excited to own such a beautiful car and am enjoying considering the possibilities of updating some of its electronics! Reading this forum, though, it seems like this may be a deadend. :(

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
Thanks, my friend!

That's why I originally dismissed the idea of clipping an aftermarket mirror over the OEM mirror. But once I saw that there was an original equipment SRX mirror with the display in the same year model, it got me thinking about replacing the original mirror with a different OEM model. Just want to make sure that it doesn't use some kind of goofy proprietary signal from an OEM "Cadillac" camera. Seems like Cadillac likes to make everything custom to avoid owners being able to modify their cars easily!

Now to consider the backend components. Perhaps a wireless backup camera (with transmitter) tied into a replacement video mirror? I wonder how difficult it is to tap into the backup lights on a 2005 SRX? For some reason, I suspect Cadillac uses sealed light housings with some kind of proprietary fasteners so that only a dealer could gain access to the wiring! ;)

I'll probably search this forum for info on the rear light assembly.

#8 ·
Now to consider the backend components. Perhaps a wireless backup camera (with transmitter) tied into a replacement video mirror? I wonder how difficult it is to tap into the backup lights on a 2005 SRX? For some reason, I suspect Cadillac uses sealed light housings with some kind of proprietary fasteners so that only a dealer could gain access to the wiring! ;)
I'm sure it's just a standard video signal. You should be able to use a wired camera, running the wire can't be that difficult.

Unless GM has found a way to transmit 12V power wirelessly, there will be a wire entering the backup lights. :) Should be easy to locate behind the tailgate trim.

Maybe this helps:

http://www.brandmotion.com/factory-gm-mirror-with-3-5-backup-monitor.html

(Pricey though)

http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&sourc...RLhbCAjNwEfj6dwFA&sig2=2xhdIiD4DTL9mg6FN67Lqg

#10 ·
I have a 2008 SRX the Luxury and Sport Edition. I have Navigation and Entertainment system but no backup camera. There are backup camera after market solutions that connect into the system and utilize the Navigation screen for the camera.Example http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/CarSpecificCameraSystems/Cadillac-Backup-Camera-System .

My question is it possible that the system in my SRX may already have a video outlet on the back site whereas all I need to do is plug in a camera...how can I tell without taking the system apart?

#11 ·
I'm speaking out of school, but I think your SRX has some possibilities not available with earlier models. I believe you can purchase an electronic device that allows your OEM navigation system to utilize one or more cameras.

I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable than I to tell you exactly what you'll need.!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.