2004 SRX-Transmission?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2004 SRX-Transmission? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi. I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX. #1. The car was acting like it was having a hard time going ...
    040777chris is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx awd

Angry 2004 SRX-Transmission?

Hi. I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX.
    #1. The car was acting like it was having a hard time going and then it would not go. I think it might be a transmission problem. I have changed the transmission fluid and filter. After doing that, the car goes, but at around 30mph the car feels like it is losing pressure. I don't have the money to take it to a dealership. Please help me. This is my family's only transportation.
    #2. Needs front wheel bearing.
    #3. Battery dies over night if not driven everyday

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: 2004 SRX-Transmission?

Did you get enough fluid in the tranny when you changed it?
    What did the fluid look like?

Wheel bearing is easy, search this site for a "how-to"

Buy a new battery, very common failure and they really only last like 4 years. If you can't afford the group 101 then many people have fit the cheaper group 78, search here again for many threads.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Is the engine light on if so have you checked for any codes? I'm in central texas and my optima red top lasted almost exactly 2 Years. But it gets very hot here.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Chris, when you filled the transmission after changing the filter, did you fill while engine running? If not, there's not enough fluid in tranny.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Yes the car was running when I added fluid I don't know if I put enough fluid back I know I put a gallon the fluid that came out is black with very little metal flake in it

You add fluid until it runs out of fill port.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Ok I have put more fluid in it. It took another quart and a half. It still slipping I did notice that the fluid is still pretty dark of course I believe it's because I only drained what was in the pan. We don't have much money to keep trying different things. Does any know if I drain it again and put fresh fluid in again will this help and would I have to change the filter again that would be another 50 dollars

The filter may not need to be replaced each time. Was the original filter clogged or coated with debris? It will take several partial fluid changes to get better looking residual fluid. From your OP, your tranny clutches/bands may be going. Hope not.

Do you know if it could be the TCM I've seen that a bad TCM could drain the battery and the battery drains and dies if you don't drive it everyday

----------

There was very little debris in the pan I thought I would have seen a lot more the car drove for about a week then it stopped moving again two days ago

----------

Other problem is the key has been getting stuck a lot lately were it won't go all the way back to be pulled out now since the car broke down again the key is getting stuck almost every time

If your battery is draining, try moving the dash dimmer switch to a different position.
    Does the key come out if the battery is fully charged? Do you have a lot of stuff on your key chain? Can damage lock cylinder.
    Try putting trans. in sport mode and starting off in 2 or 3 gear.
    Let us know.

I've tried the dimmer switch it still goes dead. When you put it in sport mode we no longer see what gear the transmission is in and I only have the one key in the ignition

----------

Is there a way to test the TCM

If the key is in the ignition, even with engine off, that will drain the battery because all the modules are talking to each other all the time, sort of a gab fest or twitter convention. For the sport mode, start the car, put in sport and pull rearward 5 times. then forward 1 or 2 times. That will put you in 2nd or 3rd gear, then see if it will go.
    The TCM can be tested but best done with a TechII tool. Before you do that, reseat the harness connectors at the TCM and ECM. Remove the engine cover for access to the ECM (on front of rt cyl head). Depress the small tab and rotate the lever toward the front and to the left of the car. Carefully remove the connector and then replace being careful not to bend any pins. Do both connectors. The TCM is next to the fuse block and its connector is different. The release lever is to the rear of the connector and needs to be pulled rearward to release. The connector will then pull to the left of the car.
    Before you do that, disconnect neg batt cable and clean all ground connections. There are 3 on the cable, 1 to the rear of the engine, 1 to the body on top of the shock tower (be careful with that because the bolt goes thru the fender and gets rust stuck), the third goes to a connector that is ground for the instrument panel. Below the TCM you will see 2, 10mm bolts with wires to the fender. Loosen and tighten both (about 1/2 turn).
    That's a lot to do but it might correct connection problems which may be at least part of your problems. If you're close enough I might come over and help.

After the car has set for a couple of days it has been able to move in the yard a little I just don't know what it is

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.