Parrot Bluetooth / USB Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Parrot Bluetooth / USB Question in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just bought a 2005 European SRX in Italy. It has a Parrot bluetooth unit (CK3100?) installed. I also found that ...
    bendebusk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

Parrot Bluetooth / USB Question

Just bought a 2005 European SRX in Italy. It has a Parrot bluetooth unit (CK3100?) installed. I also found that there is a USB port on a cable in the glovebox. When I researched Parrot bluetooth on this forum and elsewhere on the internet, I couldn't find out anything about a USB port.

Is the USB related to the Parrot device?

Or is it perhaps to play music from a thumb drive?

Other thoughts/suggestions?

Also, does anyone have an owner's manual for the Parrot unit? It was easy enough to pair with my iPhone, but I'm not really sure what all it can do and how to use it properly!

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Parrot Bluetooth / USB Question

Unknown.jpegUPDATE: I was parked waiting for my wife to come out and was exploring the features of our new car when I noticed this small device attached low on the dash near the ashtray. It's about 1" tall and marked KENWOOD with a small on/off switch. Moving the switch to the on position had no noticeable effect on anything (no light, no change on the nav display, etc.).

But I have to wonder if this is related to the USB port in the glove compartment....

politby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX -08
    The dark part of it looks like the window for an IR receiver. Maybe something to do with a rear DVD system?

That's what I thought. Looked like it needed a remote control to go with it.

A little more research and it indicates that it is a switcher to add an additional CD changer or other audio source to a Kenwood CD changer. I suppose someone found a way to install this unit as part of the stock audio equipment in my SRX. I'm guessing that I could attach an iPod/iPhone to the USB port in the glovebox, place the switch in the "on" position, and then listen to music!

Or perhaps I should try loading some music on a jump drive, plug it into the USB, and see if it plays music?

Found a remote control in the car. My wife thought it was for the rear DVD player, but I now see that it comes as part of a Kenwood KOS-A200 (KCA-S210A switching unit / RC-537 remote). I found the manuals and have begun studying the operating procedures.

But now it makes me wonder if I could add a backup camera through this system, since the switching unit has RCA video inputs. Thoughts?

The OEM nav system also has built-in TV tuner which I think was only available in Europe. Any thoughts on adding rear camera video through this option? Do they even make wireless cameras that can transmit on TV frequencies?

Okay, that Kenwood device is basically an advanced FM modulator. It plugs into the OEM radio's antenna input and creates an FM signal from USB and AUX inputs. It appears to be able to read tag information from MP3 and WMA files and send it via RDS so you get song titles displayed on the radio.

But it is most definitely audio only and you are limited to FM signal audio bandwidth. The RCA inputs are audio, not video.

W/ r t a backup camera signal over analog PAL TV - fuggedaboudit.

Thanks!

The PAL TV theory sounded so promising! Do you suppose anything broadcasts on those frequencies? I can't even pick up a TV station in our little Italian town!

Like so many SRX owners, I would love to update the functionality of the OEM nav/audio system. I'm now thinking about installing a wired or wireless backup camera with a separate monitor, but hate to junk up the dash with yet another display.

I already have a TomTom GPS out sometimes to help find a GPL (i.e. LPG) station. That's another thing that's not available in the OEM system, unless you or someone else knows of a method to import a POI database. I suppose I should start a new thread with this question, but will do a little more research first.

Thanks again!

The TV tuner in your SRX is analog. I don't think there are any analog TV stations left in Europe. Not even in Italy.

IMO those in-car TV features are pretty worthless anyway. My BMW had a digital TV tuner and it could never pick up a decent signal.

When I got my SRX last week I wanted to keep the OEM nav because no matter how well done, an aftermarket install will never look 100% stock.

But the first day I realized I can't stand having outdated maps and no Bluetooth so the stock head unit has to go.

I used to compete in car audio but because of a ruined right hand I can no longer do install work so I have to go to an installer.

Sorry to hear about your injury. If you really enjoyed installations, that must have been pretty tragic to lose that ability.

I installed a really nice JVC navigation unit in my F-150 in the States. I really liked it and might be tempted to replace the stock SRX system, but I had more tools and space to do the install there. Plus, things are awfully expensive here!

I think I'm going to have to try to make this thing work for us as well as possible. Not sure if I can plug my iPhone into the Kenwood switcher, but I kind of doubt it. Or do you know otherwise? If it's not possible, is there another wired FM modulator that you would suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by bendebusk View Post
    Sorry to hear about your injury. If you really enjoyed installations, that must have been pretty tragic to lose that ability.

I installed a really nice JVC navigation unit in my F-150 in the States. I really liked it and might be tempted to replace the stock SRX system, but I had more tools and space to do the install there. Plus, things are awfully expensive here!

I think I'm going to have to try to make this thing work for us as well as possible. Not sure if I can plug my iPhone into the Kenwood switcher, but I kind of doubt it. Or do you know otherwise? If it's not possible, is there another wired FM modulator that you would suggest?
    Well you can always get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and plug the iPhone in via its headphone port. If you can get to the Kenwood unit to connect the RCAs.

Germany is a great place to get all kinds of electronics from. Ebay.de is a good starting point. Of course I am not in Euroland so I benefit from the weak Euro. I got my Clarion NX302E from Germany at half of the local price.

Didn't you hate losing the info (DIC) part of the factory unit?

Quote Originally Posted by bendebusk View Post
    Didn't you hate losing the info (DIC) part of the factory unit?
    I won't lose it. Mine is a 2008 and has the DIC in the instrument cluster. The PAC interface retains all factory functions.

politby,

Have you read the post entitled "SRX Possible video & Audio AUX?" It's another European SRX owner with some ideas on tapping into the unusable TV tuner feature on our OEM nav/audio system. I would love to hear what you think of that thread.

Please advise...thanks!

Ben

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.