Replaced Almost Everything...what's loose??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Replaced Almost Everything...what's loose?? in Cadillac SRX Forums; 2006 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD 102k miles. Parts Replaced (not necessarily all because of the below issues, but all issues ...
    CoolATIGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V8 Northstar AWD w/ 18" wheels

Question Replaced Almost Everything...what's loose??

2006 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD 102k miles.

Parts Replaced (not necessarily all because of the below issues, but all issues have existed both before and after all repairs that I know of):

- Both front struts (AC Delco)
    - Both front stabilizer end links (I believe AC Delco)
    - Both front lower control arm assemblies (at 83k miles, before I took ownership)
    - Axle Seals (also at 83k miles, before I took ownership)
    - Left hand engine mount (driver's side, primary mount)
    - Both front hub/bearing assemblies (Timken)
    - Both front rotors (Raybestos)
    - Both front brake pads (Wagner)
    - All 4 tires (Yokohama, I'm not sure if problems were as noticeable beforehand as these were installed not long after I took ownership of the car and lots has been done, plus it could have gotten worse in the meantime while I've been getting to know the car)
    - All 4 tires rebalanced again
    - Computerized 4-Wheel Alignment (including rear adjust)

Problem(s) (may or may not be related to eachother):

- Car tracks straight if you let go of the wheel, but steering wheel has a constant faint shimmy back/forth at ~40mph, and around 60mph becomes much more noticeable (you can visibly watch it oscillate and feel it in your hand)

- The shimmy is not just in the wheel, you can also feel it in the seat, in the floorboard - the whole car seems slightly unsettled

- Going over bumps/small potholes at low speeds, there is a faint "pop" noise (jounce/creak, hard to describe) from the front, not loud but noticeable. Noises are less common and pronounced if both wheels go over the bump etc at the same time.

- At higher speeds it is louder, and becomes more of a rattle. Also when hitting a small pothole for example on the highway, the rattle sound happens, but also feels like the wheel gets a little play/motion/slack for a half-second, then back to fully engaged/responsive. It still works, but feels like it loses grip for a second.

- It does NOT make any weird noises (popping, clicking, grinding) when turning the wheels, either stopped or at speed. Only when going over bumps.

- We have also bounced on the front end about as hard as possible by hand, but it doesn't make any noises at all when sitting still. No pops, creaks, anything.

Any thoughts? At this point most of the front end is new...it seems to me if the noise is from both sides, it must be something that the sides have in common...maybe something with the sway bar, or axle, or somesuch?

Have owned the car since beginning of January this year, at just under 90k miles. Clean title, but did have a front end collision before I got it. Everything has been repaired to my knowledge though.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Wow that's a lot to deal with I can imagine. Prob not the issue but just because the control arms are fairly new doesn't mean anything. I've gone through 3 sets in 2 years and 35k miles now doing for my 4th set.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Replaced Almost Everything...what's loose??

Shimmy- have the front wheels balanced on the car. Not every shop can do it. Need a good alignment place.
    Check R&P for looseness.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Re: Replaced Almost Everything...what's loose??

Have you always owned this car.

If so... did it once drive smooth?

have you had the rotors replaced?

did the car drive with shimmy after that?

I have had rotors that were so far out of balance, they affected the ride of a car above 40mph.

Have the rotors checked.

----------

Oops.. my bad - - I re-read your list, and see you installed Raybestos Rotors... that should have done it...

However, Just last weekend installed a brand new set of Rotors on my sons 15' Ford Ranger, and it was horribly out of balance... We stuck our own weights in it until it no longer "settled".

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.