What oil cartridge do you use?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By silversport
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, What oil cartridge do you use? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have a 2008 v6 srx... I googled comparisons and found that mobile 1 is way over priced, oem ac ...
    amcon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX, AWD V6. Esclade 2005 AWD NS

What oil cartridge do you use?

I have a 2008 v6 srx...

I googled comparisons and found that mobile 1 is way over priced, oem ac delco seems to have average to poor ratings.

however the K&N filter seemed a good ballance with price and performance.

any thoughts?

anyone change the filter at lets say 3000 miles, not change the oil. then, do a oil and filter change at 6000 miles?

thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

Re: What oil cartridge do you use?

I have not changed the oil yet on my new to me SRX But on other cars I have found a good quality oil filter combined with quality oil is the way to go...

I like Mobil 1 for a lot of reasons and I am not sure I believe it is the best out there but I don't really believe the wild claims of several other oil makes either...that said...I find synthetic better than conventional oil and I've never understood the blends as they seem to contain the worst of both conventional and synthetic...

Filters used without incident by me on a C5 Corvette, new GTO, Escalade, Avalanche and Mazda6 have been Mobil 1, K&N and Delco Gold (no longer made but their version of a premium filter)...there are others but I think I'm going to buy K&N cartridges unless I read different...using a premium filter (usually with a synthetic filter element over paper) should negate any reason for you to change your filter before changing your oil (IMO)...

Good luck with your choice...

Bill
    amcon likes this.

Pinhauler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 v6 SRX

I use AC Delco = can't be that bad but should be less than $5. when all you get is a paper element and 2-rubber grommets !

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

I've never had any issues with oil with any of my cars with the cheapest oil/filter I can find. As long as its changed on time I don't think you will run into any issues.

dredd2099 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 srx

alternate between K&N and Wix
    wix has the o ring included, K&N doesnt

amcon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX, AWD V6. Esclade 2005 AWD NS

Quote Originally Posted by Pinhauler View Post
    I use AC Delco = can't be that bad but should be less than $5. when all you get is a paper element and 2-rubber grommets !
    ac delco was 12 bucks, and seems they have changed the core of the filter to a whimpy plastic type (not my thoughts but other reviews) and the K&N filter has a Metal type core (says it stays stronger and wont "colapse") cost was 7 bucks.

i went with K&N

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Yes, I use AC Delco filters as well. It is difficult to get other makes here. I use mobil1 oil and replace the filter every second oil change. Also, I follow the oil life monitor to determine when a change is needed.

georgewerr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The only choises I have localy is AC Delco and Fram, I had two Frams collaps on me. No problems wirh the AC Delco

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

I use Wix because I can get them easily.

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Never had an oil-quality or filter-quality-related failure in the last 50 years, including the old Benz in the garage with 240k miles. Don't even know anyone who took reasonable care of their engine who's had one.
    Lots of good oils and filters out there. Buy what you think is a decent one, check the level occasionally, and change it hot and often.

DG

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD
    "Do not use a plastic core filter in the LY7. The filter spins in the housing, and plastic core filters have been known to come apart in these engines. When pulled out, they look collapsed, but really they are twisted apart."

That's what I used to think, and it may be true based on what I have seen. But I have recently pulled a Fram Tough Guard out of an Oldsmobile engine using the same cartridge-style setup, and it was clearly collapsed by a underperforming core that could not withstand an overly fine filter media overloaded by an extended OCI.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

The Delco I just bought had metal ends and mesh inside the cartridge...i have seen at three different Delco cartridges and two had the plastic ends if the pics were correct...the one I picked up at Farm & Fleet was a USA made, metal ended and internally supported filter cartridge...

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.