Flat spot and bogging down
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Flat spot and bogging down in Cadillac SRX Forums; 2004 SRX N* AWD I have a flat spot at partial throttle when cruising at speed. It only seems to ...
    Mr. Mohr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8 AWD Luxury Performance Package (Moonstone)

Flat spot and bogging down

2004 SRX N* AWD
    I have a flat spot at partial throttle when cruising at speed. It only seems to happen once I'm at speed and am just driving with my big toe to keep it at speed or slightly accelerate. When it happens, there is a slight RPM drop and an audibly lower exhaust note. I can almost exactly replicate this if I am driving slow (35mph) in 5th (sport-manual) and try to accelerate, only difference is I have to give it more throttle to bog down when I do this (1/2 throttle or more), unlike when it normally bogs down it's always at slight (maybe 1/4 or less) throttle. No check engine light. Octane rating doesn't change this either. Any ideas? I have an upcoming trip and would like to try and fix this before I go if it's something repareable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

No? Nothing? No ideas at all?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    First step would be to have your codes pulled.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Flat spot and bogging down

Sounds like pedal PS is out of sync with TB driver. Might want to double check connectors involved. Probably not serious if you can live with it. TB (throttle body) may need cleaning.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

There are no codes, at least no CEL. Are there codes that don't through a CEL? I seem to remember hearing about that once. Anyways, I will try and clean my TB and double check the connectors. Could this be transmission related? Possibly TC or fluid? One person sugested it, but I don't know enough about automatics to know how that might cause it. The SRX will lightly jerk when this is happening, but it doesn't feel like the transmission is slipping or anything. As I said, the RPM drops slightly and the exhaust note deepens like it's bogged down. Vacuum Leak maybe?

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

There are lots of codes that don't turn on the CEL but not usually powertrain related ones, like vacuum leaks. 'U' codes (lack of communication between modules) usually don't turn on CEL. Won't hurt to check if any codes are set (auto parts stores do it free).
    I know what you are describing but my old brain is in fade mode. Maybe it will come to me.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mohr View Post
    2004 SRX N* AWD
    I have a flat spot at partial throttle when cruising at speed. It only seems to happen once I'm at speed and am just driving with my big toe to keep it at speed or slightly accelerate. When it happens, there is a slight RPM drop and an audibly lower exhaust note. I can almost exactly replicate this if I am driving slow (35mph) in 5th (sport-manual) and try to accelerate, only difference is I have to give it more throttle to bog down when I do this (1/2 throttle or more), unlike when it normally bogs down it's always at slight (maybe 1/4 or less) throttle. No check engine light. Octane rating doesn't change this either. Any ideas? I have an upcoming trip and would like to try and fix this before I go if it's something repareable.
    Yes I have a few ideas. First, have you ever changed your fuel filter? It may be clogged and due for replacement. Filters often cause this type of behavior. Second, park the car in your driveway and open your driver door. Slowly rev up and try to mimic the issue you are seeing on the highway. Does the engine behave the same when the transmission is not engaged? If it doesn't, does it coincide with a gear shift? If so, replace transmission fluid.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Any luck pulling the codes yet?

It must be in gear to replicate the condition. So either transmission, or simply under a load I'm guessing. The more I drive and think about it, the more I get a gut feeling of a transmission issue. I hope it's just fluid, and a flush and fill will cure everything. I'm going to see if there are any codes hiding tomorrow. That could sure help.

----------

Oh, and yes I have done my fuel filter. That was my first guess, since it seemed to start after my wife drive cross country. I thought she picked up some bad gas or something. Also, plugs and air filter are both new too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.