Former 99 STS owner looking for advise on 2005 V8 SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Former 99 STS owner looking for advise on 2005 V8 SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi, I'm going to be looking at a 2005 v8 SRX in the Tampa area in the next few days ...
    cpoleary is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None at the current time, but looking

Former 99 STS owner looking for advise on 2005 V8 SRX

Hi,

I'm going to be looking at a 2005 v8 SRX in the Tampa area in the next few days and I had a few questions I hope folks don't mind answering for me.
    It has approx 115000 miles and looks to be in fantastic shape. They are looking for close to 10k for it.

Questions:
    • In there a way to easily dump the trouble codes?
    • I assume the v8 is a Northstar engine, anyone know for sure?
    • I've seen the threads on the water in the jack area and to make sure to operate the roof a few times. Any other big gotchas I should check out?
    After all the issues and $$$ spent on the POS 99 STS I had I've been GM shy for a few years. I was looking for a used Navigator when I saw this car. I hate to get back into another money pit. I know that luxury costs money to repair and I'm used to that but the 99 was way beyond reason.

Thanks! Chuck

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Re: Former 99 STS owner looking for advise on 2005 V8 SRX

v8 is northstar, unless they swapped it out which..yikes.

I guess I'd check the engine wiring for splices, especially to the throttle body, but that's pretty minor.

Price seems a touch high for that many miles, but that could just be me.

I guess I'd do a couple test launches and see if you hear popping from underneath (transfer case, I believe). Not sure what else to look for really, aside from rust I guess.

cpoleary is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None at the current time, but looking

Thanks! Good suggestions on doing a few launches, wish I had done that before my last Caddy purchase.

I'd like to see them come down to about $7500 for it. Since I'll be going there with cash in hand I hope that motivates them to move on the price, but we'll see.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Chuck......when buying a 9 year old 115,000 mile vehicle, hire an experienced and trusted mechanic to go over the entire vehicle. He will save you ten times what you pay him, or more. Then use his findings when negotiating the price. Read up on the SRX on this forum and make a list of special problem areas to help the mechanic along. Simple things like belts, hoses, scheduled maintenancs, ignition service, tires, cats, and suspension repairs can add up to a few thousand, even if the drivetrain is solid. Check every option and every bulb to make sure everything works. Secure the GM service records. A Carfax won't hurt. And my mechanic checks the body panels as well, for repairs/replacements and fit. My SRX was 3 with 27,000 miles on the odometer and some things needed fixing within the frst month. PJ.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Wholly Cow PJ!

Turn down the volume on your hearing aid!

Cpoleary: PJ is right.. have an experience guy look at your SRX.

04 was the first year of this thing, and they had some bugs.

Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.