octane boost - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, octane boost in Cadillac SRX Forums; really cool info i have learned alot from all your guys input! awesome feed back guys! (i still get better ...
    amcon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX, AWD V6. Esclade 2005 AWD NS

Re: octane boost

really cool info i have learned alot from all your guys input!

awesome feed back guys!

(i still get better performance with higher octane...lol)

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Quote Originally Posted by silversport View Post
    right...we have a variable valve timing version...

Bill
    DI is how the fuel is delivered tot he motor, valve timing is well valve timing, I don't get the connection.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    DI is how the fuel is delivered tot he motor, valve timing is well valve timing, I don't get the connection.
    I should have hit the quote and was responding to SC2150's response to mine about Direct Injection...but I was pointing out that our V6 in the SRX is not the newer Direct Injection motor but the older VVT 3.6...

Bill

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Yes. With the LY7, using any octane above the CR of the engine needs is a waste for sure.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

amcon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX, AWD V6. Esclade 2005 AWD NS

This suggests that either the 3.6 motor with vvt is engineered dynamically to utilize higher octane fuels or the idea of octane can't be easily explained as it was above.

"if your vehicle has the 3.6L engine (vin code 7), use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 or higher. For best performance or trailer towing, you could choose to use middle grade 89 octane unleaded gasoline. If the octane rating is less then 87, you might notice an audible knocking noise when your drive, commonly referred to as spark knock. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated 87 or higher as soon as possible. If you are using gasoline rated 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, the engine needs service.
    If your vehicle has the 4.6L v8 engine (vin code A), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You can use regular unleaded gasoline rated 87 or higher, but your vehicle's acceleration could be slightly reduced, and you might notice a slight knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock. if the octane is less than 87, you might notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. if this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you could damage the engine. and if you hear heavy knocking, the engine needs service.

Use of the recommended fuel is an important part of the proper maintenance of your vehicle. To help keep the engine clean and maintain optimum vehicle performance, we recommend the use of gasoline advertised as TOP TIER detergent gasoline.

Additives - bla bla cleaner air... additives that help prevent engine and fuel system deposits from forming, allowing the emissions control system to work properly. In most cases, you should not have to add anything to the fuel. However, some gasoline contain only the minimum amount of additive required to meet US environmental protection agency regulations. To help keep fuel injectors and intake valves clean, or if your vehicle experiences problems due to dirty injectors or valves, look for gasoline that is advertised as TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. Also, your dealer/retailer has additives that will help correct any prevent most dpeooit-related problems.

taken from the owners book 5-5 through 5-7.

...or that trailer towing puts more load on the engine than you would driving without towing and that perhaps 89 octane would help...or it's just rubbish...still...as it relates to the V6, using higher than normal or perhaps 89 when towing is a waste of money...

Bill

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Well I thought it was bad gas that I got, however last night the car started sputtering again and threw a misfire into cylinder 2 (last time it was 3). Went and put 93 octane in (it had a half tank of 87) and after going home shutting it off and starting it up it was running okay. This morning it ran fine most of hte way into work then started sputtering again as I parked it at work.

Any idears?

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Again, top tier fuels (as in the diagrams showing fuel introduction between conventional port injection and direct injection. Top tier fuels are very important with traditional port injection where the fuel is coming through the injector at 45-55 PSI VS 2-3000 PSI w/DI where deposits get no chance to form, and the fuel with DI never touches the intake valves so it can have no effect.)

Your owners manual is quoting a older port injection where you DO need top tier fuels
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

does anyone here have a DI engine???...Top Tier is more than the cleaning agent additives...

Bill

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I do but in my CTS, the SRX is not DI and I don't know why it keeps being brought up as people are getting confused.

thank you...that's my point...it confuses the issue in this thread...interesting information nonetheless but...

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.