Rep.aced Cat on 2007 SRX still have P420
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By frankcottnj
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Rep.aced Cat on 2007 SRX still have P420 in Cadillac SRX Forums; My mechanic replaced what seemed like a new cat on the driver side. We also had a monitoriing of the ...
    frankcottnj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Rep.aced Cat on 2007 SRX still have P420

My mechanic replaced what seemed like a new cat on the driver side. We also had a monitoriing of the evap system. Now the P420 came back. Took car to Cadillac dealerthey said cat was leaking and this was sending a "lean mode". I guess I should first address the leaking gasket (I don't hear a leak but what the heck). I think the problem could be a leak in intake because last time when I repaced plugs I had that bank of the intak misaligned and I torqued down the intake. Any feedback here?
    Frank 3.6L SRX 2007

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Rep.aced Cat on 2007 SRX still have P420

Quote Originally Posted by frankcottnj View Post
    My mechanic replaced what seemed like a new cat on the driver side. We also had a monitoriing of the evap system. Now the P420 came back. Took car to Cadillac dealerthey said cat was leaking and this was sending a "lean mode". I guess I should first address the leaking gasket (I don't hear a leak but what the heck). I think the problem could be a leak in intake because last time when I repaced plugs I had that bank of the intak misaligned and I torqued down the intake. Any feedback here?
    Frank 3.6L SRX 2007
    Hello frankcottnj,

I am sorry to hear that you are still having an issue with your catalytic convertor after you had your mechanic replace it. I am glad to hear that the dealership was able to locate the issue that you are currently experiencing. I apologize, but I do not have any technical advice I could offer, due to the fact that I am not an engineer or a technician, but if you would like any assistance working with your dealership, please feel free to send me a private message. Please keep us updated, I will be looking for your future updates. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Frank, code 420 is for bank 1 cat. That's the PASSENGER side!
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

DougC.. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

it should be free under the extended warranty from Cadillac. 200,000 or 12 years on catalytic converters. Got both of mine replaced for free.

Well I replaced bank 2 (it was a p430 not 420) cat with a walker and 400 miles later the same code p430 came up. Dealer said that the exhast flange was leaking to fix that first then see if code comes back. Well I fixed the flange and did all 02 sensors and I still get cat efficiency. I also noticed the car had a GM fairly new cat that I swapped out for the Walker. So both the new Walker and fairly new GM cat both failed. Dealer said care has no mechanical issues. Also check this out, the first new 02 sensor I put in gave a code 2099 and for 600 miles no cat code came up with this O2 sensor yet it was causing bank 2 to run rich and it threw it's own 2099 code. Do I buy a GM catalytic and hope these problems are due to bad cats?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

As stated above, bank 1 is the right bank (passenger) and bank 2 is the left.
    P0420 is for bank 1 and p0430 is for bank 2.
    You say you replaced the proper one but you used a walker replacement and the code reset, you need to address that with Walker.
    The catalyst efficiency diagnostic is a specific set of tests which also includes the oxygen sensors passing their tests. A leak in the exhaust will likely set O2 sensor related codes, not a catalyst efficiency code.
    Someone is blowing smoke to get off the hook.
    You may continue to have issues using an aftermarket cat but technically EPA states that the manufacturer has to sell you a working part so....

Ok, that is what I was hoping to hear. I have all the codes printed out and a list report from the dealer showing it leads tothe CAT. I think Walker is making a CAT that is throwing off p420/430 codes. It is the dirver side P430 code I have. Thank you.
    frank

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by frankcottnj View Post
    Ok, that is what I was hoping to hear. I have all the codes printed out and a list report from the dealer showing it leads tothe CAT. I think Walker is making a CAT that is throwing off p420/430 codes. It is the dirver side P430 code I have. Thank you.
    frank
    How did you make out?

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Do you know if they looked at the sensor readings upstream and downstream of the "dead" cat?
    I know cats on these are unreliable (I'm on set #3 in 60,000 miles) but suspicious both your old GM and new Walker are bad.

jsg1402 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

My son's having a similar problem with catalytic converters, but he doesn't have an SRX. He has an 03 SLS. He had it in the local Cadillac dealer yesterday and they basically told him that not all manufacturers make a converter that work on Cadillacs. I'm not sure of the make, but he had mentioned possibly seeing if Magna Flow made one that is a OEM replacement. The dealer told him $2300.00 for the cat, heck he only paid $3000.00 for the car a year ago.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Has anyone used Eastern Catalytic or Walker with success please chime in.

Tiger1106 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX'05 4.6L

As far as I know, and this is true for V8 - you will have P0420/30 unless 1. You use original cats 2. Erase cats from the ECM but then you have to take them out hence the smell. Even experienced cat mechanics who successfully fool Escalades can't fool SRX1 V8.

They are right, The Walker did not work but a new GM cat solved my problem.
    frank
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.