Please help! 09 srx Cooling fan issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Please help! 09 srx Cooling fan issue in Cadillac SRX Forums; New to this forum and I am in need of some assistance. For some reason when my 2009 srx gets ...
    diwhyte09srx is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Please help! 09 srx Cooling fan issue

New to this forum and I am in need of some assistance. For some reason when my 2009 srx gets up to operating temp according to the gauge in the dash the cooling fan runs on high.

It started after I got the message on the DIC that said "engine hot a/c off". So I googled it and some said to disconnect battery for a few mins to clear the message. Some said it could be the ECT sensor and some said the thermostat.

I disconnected the battery then after ordering the ECT sensor I installed it and still have problem. Only difference is there is no message yet and now the cooling system isn't building any pressure. Just noticed tonight the lower rad hose isn't really hot like upper rad hose. Have good ac and good heat. Please help. Don't wanna just throw parts at this bc it could be costly. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bump for going on long trip at end of week....

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Please help! 09 srx Cooling fan issue

"now the cooling system isn't building any pressure." Coolant reservoir cap isn't working. Try a new one. While at parts store, have them read codes and report back. Being an '09 are you still under powertrain warranty?
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

No codes. No cel. So I shouldn't have ordered a thermostat and housing assembly? I unscrewed the cap and heard a puff. Like it wanted to build some pressure. If it was the reservoir cap wouldn't both rad hoses be same temp? Almost like coolant not flowing passed thermostat

----------

Has 85000 miles on it so probably not under warranty. Bought it used also

If you had DIC message, you have a B code which does not turn on CEL. If temp goes up, pressure will be there, allowing a higher oiling point for the coolant. If both hoses aren't same temp, T-Stat may be stuck shut but the high temp should still build pressure. If you don't have a gauge to measure, the rad. hoses should feel firm when hot, not soft like when cold. Any GM dealer can advise on warranty if you give them your VIN; I think it was 5yr/100K mi.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Yes, 5 year 100k powertrain warranty. This would be covered.

Ok thanks I'll give the dealer a call in the morning. Can't read body codes with a general scan tool.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Your cooling fans will run on HI when the coolant temperature reaches a certain temperature. On my 07 V-6 it's 214°. Unfortunately it's hard to tell by looking at the dash gauge because there's very little movement between 200° and 230°. On a cross-country trip this summer coolant temperatures in the 220 range were common, especially with a tail-wind and slight grade.
    I have Aeroforce Tech gauge that reads engine and transmission parameters used by the ECM so I don't have to guess what the dash gauge is saying.
    Have you check the radiator fins to see if it's full of bugs? or something blocking airflow?

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. The vehicle is at the dealer now bc it is still under warranty. I'll keep you posted to let you guys know what they find and what they try to soak me for on the ptice

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by diwhyte09srx View Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys. The vehicle is at the dealer now bc it is still under warranty. I'll keep you posted to let you guys know what they find and what they try to soak me for on the ptice
    Hello diwhyte09srx,

Welcome to the forum! There have already been great interactions with you and other forum members. I am sorry you are experiencing a cooling fan issue with your 2009 SRX. Please keep us posted after your next dealer update. If you would like to further discuss your situation or have any other questions or concerns, we are here to assist. We can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Dealer says it is a resistor in line with the cooling fan harness... Not covered by warranty. Gonna cost $300 to replace it and they say it should take care of other cooling issues.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by diwhyte09srx View Post
    Dealer says it is a resistor in line with the cooling fan harness... Not covered by warranty. Gonna cost $300 to replace it and they say it should take care of other cooling issues.
    Thank you for providing this updated information, diwhyte09srx. I am sorry for the repair not being covered under warranty. Are you still going to have the dealer fix this for you?

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Yes unfortunately I gave them the ok to make the repair. My wife and I didn't like the response we got from the dealer tho......Not sure what's going on with the car exactly yet. They "seem" to know what's wrong and it "should" be fixed tomorrow "if" they get the part in the am. Doesn't sound too promising when you need to make a trip across a few states to NC. Also it would have been nice if the dealer called earlier in the day to ensure the parts needed would definitely arrive on time.

----------

Pretty disgusted with the lack of communication. I also called a warranty rep myself to have back up documentation about this vehicle. The dealer was supposed to stay in contact with him and failed to do so.

At least if this repair doesn't solve all the problems it will go right back to them as it would be their fault for not properly diagnosing it. Kinda thought that was smart to do so I'm not liable for everything.

and they say it should take care of other cooling issues.
    Get that in writing!

So my wife picked up the srx yesterday afternoon and when I got home I asked her if the fans were running at all. She said no I didn't hear them actually. I then popped the hood to check their repair out to find the connector unplugged on the top of the fan shroud. That must've been why she didn't hear the fans...... I reconnected it and ran the vehicle and it seemed fine.

Today we packed the car and started to make our way out of town. Stopped for gas then I heard the fans running non stop still. Called the dealer and he said they could look at it after lunch. So I went against my own word and stopped to have them put it on the scanner to see what's up now. This guy tells me he can now communicate with the fans but couldn't before. Says the PCM seems ok but now the rear O2 sensors are in open loop and the fronts are in closed loop. And the ambient temp sensor says its 143 degrees.... He then told me that the cooling fans should be able to run non stop for 300,000 miles and be fine.

I asked him to sign off on it and he said I can't guarantee what's gonna happen.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.