Drive train issues continue 2008 SRX4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Drive train issues continue 2008 SRX4 in Cadillac SRX Forums; Since the beginning of August 2013, my 2008 SRX is determined to drive me insane. First, the front differential destroyed ...
    Nikowon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Drive train issues continue 2008 SRX4

Since the beginning of August 2013, my 2008 SRX is determined to drive me insane. First, the front differential destroyed itself on the interstate. It was replaced with a new GM differential as was the left front half shaft. It opperated better than ever including an increase in fuel efficiency. Two weeks later I heard and felt a significant clunk up front when starting up or stopping. Seems the new half shaft had come loose from its clip. It was then firmly replaced with yet another new half shaft. Soon the clunking returned, but now from both the front and rear. Often, when slowing for a stop it becomes quite severe on the downshift.

Spent four hours at the dealership yesterday. Both the technician and the service manager, tell me all is OK. Since I know it never did this before the incident, I feel that they are mistaken. Having alreadyy been towed in off an interstate makes me very nervous as to the ongoing reliability of the drive train. Help!

Thank you for any and all input....nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: Drive train issues continue 2008 SRX4

What is your mileage and service history, these parts don't fail often so what is the cause other than bad luck.

Has the oil level been checked in the front and rear diff, was it ever checked and maybe a leaking seal let it out and it was not caught.

Vehicle now has 75,000 miles. Had been fully serviced by Cadillac dealer when purchased in April. It seems as if the front differential was very low on lubricants. Transmission was fully serviced during repair earlier this month by transmission shop. Looseness in the drive train did not become noticeable until a few weeks after repairs had been made.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikowon View Post
    Since the beginning of August 2013, my 2008 SRX is determined to drive me insane. First, the front differential destroyed itself on the interstate. It was replaced with a new GM differential as was the left front half shaft. It opperated better than ever including an increase in fuel efficiency. Two weeks later I heard and felt a significant clunk up front when starting up or stopping. Seems the new half shaft had come loose from its clip. It was then firmly replaced with yet another new half shaft. Soon the clunking returned, but now from both the front and rear. Often, when slowing for a stop it becomes quite severe on the downshift.

Spent four hours at the dealership yesterday. Both the technician and the service manager, tell me all is OK. Since I know it never did this before the incident, I feel that they are mistaken. Having alreadyy been towed in off an interstate makes me very nervous as to the ongoing reliability of the drive train. Help!

Thank you for any and all input....nick
    Hello Nikowon,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your SRX’s drivetrain. I understand that you are wary of the dealership’s opinion that the sound is normal because you have had issues before. If you would like any assistance in working with another dealership to get a second opinion, I would be happy to assist you. If you would like to further discuss this concern, please feel free to private message me so we can further discuss this concern. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Thank you Gregory, My waryness stems from the fact that I purchased the vehicle from my local dealer who had just serviced the car before delivery. A few thousand miles later the differential fails due to low or no lubricant. There was no indication of leakage on my garage floor. Now that I hear and feel excessive drive train looseness, they tell me all is OK. I hope so, but don't have much confidence in their opinion.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikowon View Post
    Thank you Gregory, My waryness stems from the fact that I purchased the vehicle from my local dealer who had just serviced the car before delivery. A few thousand miles later the differential fails due to low or no lubricant. There was no indication of leakage on my garage floor. Now that I hear and feel excessive drive train looseness, they tell me all is OK. I hope so, but don't have much confidence in their opinion.
    Hello Nikowon,

I completely understand your feelings about trusting the dealership’s opinion due to your past experience. As I said, if you would like any assistance in setting up an appointment with another dealership, or would like me to contact the dealership to make sure that your concern has been documented, I would be more than happy to. Please feel free to private message me if you would like any assistance. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

While it is a bit early to be entirely sure, it seems that the problem has been remedied. My coworker, a retired Ford Service Manager, suggested I put the transmission through a series of exercises and repeat three or four times. The process was very simple and performed in our parking lot. At idle, shift to reverse and allow the vehicle to move backward at idle speed. After 20-30 feet shift to drive and allow the vehicle to move forward at idle speed. Never touch the brake or accelerator. Repeat three times and voila, to my wonder.....it worked. Seems as if all the thumping and drive train play have disappeared.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I wonder if troubleshooting is becoming a lost art?

Absolutely. If the computer doesn't spit out a code, most mechanics today are lost. The vehicle may be performing terribly, but no code....all is well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.