Another bad transfer case
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Another bad transfer case in Cadillac SRX Forums; About 2 months ago the transfer case on my 04 went. I took the advice in the forum and I ...
    Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX

Another bad transfer case

About 2 months ago the transfer case on my 04 went. I took the advice in the forum and I ordered the updated chain and had it installed. When it was being installed, my mechanic noticed that the bearings in there were also torn up so he replaced those. A few days ago it started showing the same symptoms. There is metal in the transfer case fluid, so we put a used transfer case on (with warranty) and just got it back. It too is bad.

Since it is under warranty, I am getting another used one to replace it. Is it true that if it was to come off a 2005, it is going to be the redesigned part with the new chain? If so, doesn't that say that GM knows that their engineering was to blame for the failure and not "normal wear"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Re: Another bad transfer case

Don't worry, you'll get a caddy rep on here apologizing for any inconvenience and asking if you want them to find you a nice dealer.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I have just spent a bunch of time on the Audi and BMW forums and I did not see and factory posts, at least Cadillac is looking and trying to help.

I think some people have gotten help as well.

weccjc67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX AWD V8

Hi Conedoctor, my 07 had a transfer case noise. No noise or clunking on acceleration like the traditional complaints but a steady scraping sound from under the car at speed and metal in the fluid. Dealer replaced chains and bearings also but that still did not fix the problem. They ended up replacing it with a new transfer case and guess what no noise even after 11K miles and no metal in fluid. What a waste of time for everyone trying to repair an obviously bad engineering design. Because of the issues with these I will not hard launch from a stand still just from a roll because I am afraid I might put more of a load on the transfer case and break the POS again. Good Luck.

What does this have to do with me?

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Maybe he's just being friendly to you.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

I think it is all your fault Cone. Seriously, I am not sure what the issue is with this transfer case. I just turned 99,000 miles, have the Northstar, and have been launching since day 1 with no issues. WECC, are you the first owner?

I'm upset that they changed the chain in 2005. This means that they were aware of an engineering defect that existed in 2004, something that the owner could not prevent. To change the part to prevent failure means that the know the problem is their fault. I would expect a company to fix or reimburse people for this expensive repair.

I'm considering replacing my Seville and after this issue with the SRX, I am strongly considering going with an Audi. From their forums, I have found people who ran into manufacturer defects outside of their warranty. These people had these problems addressed by Audi on Audi's dime. I'm not talking about safety recalls either.

Well it may not be a defect, it was a failure.

Not saying there is not an issue, I have had none on problems with mine as I would think is the case with most people. It sucks you are having issues with yours, that being said who did the first repair and buying a used Xfer case is know ones fault but your own, rebuild it first or buy a new one.

Good luck with the Audi, we are looking at a Q7 and X5 right now and if you think they are going to go above and beyond to repair stuff out of warranty I think you may be expecting too much, from my reading of the forums they are just as bad but charge more for it.

weccjc67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX AWD V8

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    What does this have to do with me?
    Meant to reply to Yeamish which was something you could have corrected me on if you were nice but, whatever.

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    I think it is all your fault Cone. Seriously, I am not sure what the issue is with this transfer case. I just turned 99,000 miles, have the Northstar, and have been launching since day 1 with no issues. WECC, are you the first owner?
    PJ1520, I am the 2nd owner of this SRX, my favorite vehicle I have ever owned so far. Bought it with 45k on it. Very happy with it except the transfer case issue which was finally solved by a new transfer case which has been great, 1st owner must have been rough with it or not. maybe it was just one those Friday transfer case assemblies. LOL. That's good news that you have been launching it with no issues. Gives me more confidence knowing it can last.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yaemish View Post
    About 2 months ago the transfer case on my 04 went. I took the advice in the forum and I ordered the updated chain and had it installed. When it was being installed, my mechanic noticed that the bearings in there were also torn up so he replaced those. A few days ago it started showing the same symptoms. There is metal in the transfer case fluid, so we put a used transfer case on (with warranty) and just got it back. It too is bad.

Since it is under warranty, I am getting another used one to replace it. Is it true that if it was to come off a 2005, it is going to be the redesigned part with the new chain? If so, doesn't that say that GM knows that their engineering was to blame for the failure and not "normal wear"?
    Hi Yeamish, From what I have learned from Cadillac is these transfer cases usually cannot be repaired most of the time just replaced. I went through this and so did others it is best to just replace with a new one so you never have the problem again. Lots of wasted time and money trying to repair than to replace. Mine was eventually replaced under warranty after they failed to repair it twice. No money out of my pocket but they learned. Good Luck with yours.

I see that GM has has you replace the entire thing. The problem is, the price is insane being that the car has depreciated to the current point. I initially did replace the chain (from what I read the chain is what causes the failure). From what I have read, if it is bad for too long, it hurts the other components. This is probably what happened to me. We did the chain and some bearings. The sprockets didn't appear to be damaged but probably were.

That is why I went with a low mileage replacement. Like I said, paying top dollar for a used part on a vehicle with such a low resale value (so I never have to do it again) just doesn't make sense to me. I'm just irritated that taking it out of a lower mileage 2004, it has the same problem. The used part is warrantied, but its annoying non the less.

Conedoctor, I agree that it is a failure but it is a failure due to an engineering problem. They changed the chain in 2005, meaning that they acknowledge that the problem was caused by their faulty engineering. It may work for a number of years, but ultimately it may fail due to the slack in the chain and no fault of the owner. I'm also not saying that I expect Audi to take care of problems outside of a warranty. I was just shocked when I saw that they did do that on a few occasions. I do not think I have seen reports of that on these forums.

Well a running change from year to year is normal so they may have upgraded it and made changes to make it better, so did they change in 05 to improve or to fix?

We had our 04 that was a pre flash model so full power and we never had an issue, mind you we only had 70k miles or so on ours.

Is the X3 and E59 X5 that shared this Xfer case? I wonder if they are getting tons of failures?

A new Tcase from gmpartsdiect is $1288.22, not too bad for a new part, how much was the used one?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.