Weird smell coming from the vents.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Weird smell coming from the vents. in Cadillac SRX Forums; My wife is the primary driver of our '08 SRX. She came to me stating she thought there was a ...
    Macstromer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX

Weird smell coming from the vents.

My wife is the primary driver of our '08 SRX. She came to me stating she thought there was a smell of gasoline coming from the vents. I drove with her and definitely did smell something, but could find no fuel leaks. We took the car to our dealer, and he went so far as to remove the gas tank, and found no leaks anywhere in the fuel system. One day later with the air conditioning on, the smell returned. We are at our wits end. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and is there a solution?

Macstromer

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Weird smell coming from the vents.

Could be the EVAP, Did the dealer do DTC? It helps when members post SRX V8 or V6
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzfR84T6pBY&noredirect=1

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Macstromer View Post
    My wife is the primary driver of our '08 SRX. She came to me stating she thought there was a smell of gasoline coming from the vents. I drove with her and definitely did smell something, but could find no fuel leaks. We took the car to our dealer, and he went so far as to remove the gas tank, and found no leaks anywhere in the fuel system. One day later with the air conditioning on, the smell returned. We are at our wits end. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and is there a solution?

Macstromer
    Hello Macstromer,

I am sorry there is a smell coming from the vents in your vehicle. I understand your concern for this situation and I would like the opportunity to further discuss with you. Please reach out to us via private message and include your contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the dealer name and location you have worked with. We can also be contacted via email at socialmedia@gm.com if you are having troubles with private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Switch the HVAC controls to recirculate. This will pull air from inside the cabin as opposed from the cowl area. See if you still get the odor. Can you smell fuel under the hood when this happens?

Thanks Laura for your post, and yes we need help.

Here are the details:
    2007 SRX Vin# 1GYEE637070139309, mileage 76,000
    Service was done at Courtesy Motors
    2520 Cohasset Rd
    Chico, CA
    530-345-9444

Service underwriter = TC

Cost was $900 to remove the gas tank, and check the fuel system. The odor seems toxic, and is always present, meaning with the AC on and off, recirculation on or off, vents open or closed. Any assistance would be greatly appreicated. Up until now this has been a great vehicle.

Tim Stromer
    TStromer@msn.com
    909 921-1650

----------

Yes, no matter what mode the ventilation system is in the smell still exists. The dealer is adamate that it is not fuel, and offers no other solutions. Very frustrating.

Well if its fuel related my guess the smell is coming from fuel related circumstances. If you lift the hood as previously mentioned and run the engine, do you smell fuel, see fuel, see vapors(all of which is dangerous), again you do not say what engine you have, I think looking at your VIN say V8?
    The EVAP is in the engine area on a V8, did you look at the vid I added, its a ruff explanation how it works, but you get an idea, fuel vapor(which can be the smell is recirculated to the engine.
    Do not take the stealers word for it. Someone on here should jump in that knows more about it.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Clean out the condensate drain, under the carpet next to acc. pedal; replace cabin filter; add a drop or two of 'Ozium' you can get at Wallgreens.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Got a Pic/schematic to show him/us?

A quick 'search this forum' search found this-

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-footwell.html

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

I can understand if he had a mold smell because its clogged but a fuel smell?

The mold produced some bio diesel.

AHHHH SOOOO I see

Thanks glake89. Will try your solution, the dealer stated they had changed the evap filter and condenser trap, but I'll look again. The smell is not fuel, but seems 'toxic' according to my wife. It is still hot here in Northern California, and she uses the AC daily.

Macstromer

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Macstromer View Post
    Thanks Laura for your post, and yes we need help.

Here are the details:
    2007 SRX Vin# 1GYEE637070139309, mileage 76,000
    Service was done at Courtesy Motors
    2520 Cohasset Rd
    Chico, CA
    530-345-9444

Service underwriter = TC

Cost was $900 to remove the gas tank, and check the fuel system. The odor seems toxic, and is always present, meaning with the AC on and off, recirculation on or off, vents open or closed. Any assistance would be greatly appreicated. Up until now this has been a great vehicle.

Tim Stromer
    TStromer@msn.com
    909 921-1650

----------

Yes, no matter what mode the ventilation system is in the smell still exists. The dealer is adamate that it is not fuel, and offers no other solutions. Very frustrating.
    Hello Tim,

You are welcome. Thanks for providing me this information. There is some private information such as your name, number and email posted, so I recommend to delete this post if you do not want this information public. I will reach back out to you via private message so we can continue to discuss your current situation.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Once again a case where a customer gets robbed! Removing a gas tank and spending $900 while "looking for a problem" should be illegal.

Gas has a pretty recognizable smell and you don't need much of it to smell it. Gas also evaporates very quickly and may not leave a trace on the ground. Check connections at or near the fuel filter to make sure it doesn't have a slow leak.

However, if it is not gas, it could be melting or burning plastic. Check the full length of the exhaust system and check to see if you drove over and picked up something that is now stuck to the exhaust. For example, if you drive over plastic, it can get melted onto the pipes and smell for weeks. Eventually it will burn off, but it may take enough driving.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.