engine sputter and error code on obdII that says err
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, engine sputter and error code on obdII that says err in Cadillac SRX Forums; during transmission fluid change I poured ATF fluid into the engine because I did not read instructions and did not ...
    quark1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 DTS and 08 SRX (AWD V6 Performance)

engine sputter and error code on obdII that says err

during transmission fluid change I poured ATF fluid into the engine because I did not read instructions and did not fill the fluid through the side of the tranny. So I fix the problem, but since then the engine has been sputtering. I read a lot about ATF fluid's benefit in the block and as injector cleaner, but could it gum up spark plugs if it got into the cylinder in larger quantities?
    This morning I got an engine light and when I tried scanning it gave me a err message rather than a code. I tried everything yet just err code.

Any advise?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: engine sputter and error code on obdII that says err

the error is your scanner, probably not compatible with your SRX, has to be GM compatible, You poured ATF in you oil fill? There is no way it can get into the firing part of the cylinder, anyway you would smoke out the place, it would be like bad piston rings letting oil get into the firing cylinder

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Your scanner won't connect if your cigarette lighter fuse is blown. Lol simple right. Check those fuses and try again. I pour atf in the crankcase before changing the oil it acts as a flush and breaks up sludge. Think about this. If you don't change your tranny fluid for 90k it barely comes out brown without any sludge. Try waiting that long with your engine oil and kiss it goodbye with all the sludge that will buildup.

thank you for replays
    I had scanned with this scanner before and all was well.
    I did smoke the crap out of the neighborhood for 2 days..then the smoke was burned out.
    now the error and the engine sputter. I was thinking spark plugs being gummed up as the easiest solution. When the error came up I got a small panic in the pit of my stomach.

----------

I scanned my other car and it showed err too. Turns out it was a bent prong. Fixed it. Scanned the SRX and turns out its code P0305. Misfire on cylinder 5. So spark plug time...

good thanks for sharing the result

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by quark1 View Post
    thank you for replays
    I did smoke the crap out of the neighborhood for 2 days..then the smoke was burned out.
    now the error and the engine sputter. I was thinking spark plugs being gummed up as the easiest solution. When the error came up I got a small panic in the pit of my stomach.

----------

I scanned my other car and it showed err too. Turns out it was a bent prong. Fixed it. Scanned the SRX and turns out its code P0305. Misfire on cylinder 5. So spark plug time...
    Hello quark1,

I am sorry you experienced issues with your vehicles. I see you were able to fix your DTS, and now were able to scan the code on your SRX and find the repair needed for that. Please let us know how everything goes. If you ever would like to discuss concerns or questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

So you poured ATF into the thinking it was going to the transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by quark1 View Post
    thank you for replays

----------

Or a bad coil #5? But maybe that would show on DTC

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    So you poured ATF into the thinking it was going to the transmission?
    I was so angry with myself you have no idea. I pulled some boneheaded maneuvers with cars I owned over the years, but I would say not checking the documentation of fill procedures, not realizing there is only one dip stick (!!!), not realizing I have been using it for years to check oil (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) ..... 9/10 for dumb. I don't even have anything (booze or a naked woman mowing the lawn) to blame. I took a bit for me to write this post and expose myself like this.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I cant even rip on you, you did it for me!

Man that sucks, I have done stupid stuff before, not that stupid but close LOL sorry just joking.

The worst is when your doing something stupid and you know it yet continue to do it anyway.

When I was just a boy I dropped my Talon off at the local speed shop for new tranny oil, I get a call and they ask me what engine oil I use lol, even the pros get it wrong and drain the wrong hole.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.