Best transmission fluid??!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Best transmission fluid??!! in Cadillac SRX Forums; I want to change the transmission fluid in my 2006 Cadillac SRX v6 AWD,but do not know the type and ...
    QUIQUE1978 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CADILLAC SRX V6 AWD

Best transmission fluid??!!

I want to change the transmission fluid in my 2006 Cadillac SRX v6 AWD,but do not know the type and best brand to buy.I have read that the RedLine fluid is great or the Royal Purple,what do you think?Should I just go with AC Delco?
    Also,is the same fluid for the transfer case?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JayTF1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Best transmission fluid??!!

From service manual for my 08............

Automatic
    Transmission
    DEXRON®-VI Automatic
    Transmission Fluid.

Transfer Case
    Manual Transmission Fluid
    (GM Part No. U.S. 88861800,
    in Canada 88861801

I let the dealer put in the transmission fluid. For the transfer case, I put in Mobil 1 ATF fluid (dexron compatible)

xboxman72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX4 V8 Sport Package

For my 2008 6 speed, I used Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF (Dexron VI) for the transmission and Mobil 1 ATF (Dexron III) for the transfer case. You will probably get many different responses saying that both of these will void the warranty, but it's out of warranty anyway. I read many pages on the subject and this is the best I came up with. Royal Purple is nice if you have the cash.

I just want the best for my car,and if that means spending a little bit more money, it's ok,because it will save me time and money on the long road.I have used Red Line and Royal Purple in my other truck and they did improved gas milage and the transsmision was very smooth and quick on the shifts!

I would also change the differential fluid if you haven't already.

I will.Thank you.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

From reading various sources the consensus seems to be if a transmission fluid meets Dexron VI licensing requirements it's OK. Are you doing a full fluid exchange or just replenishing the 4 - 5 qts drained from the pan? I recently exchanged the 11 - 12 qts in my 03 Envoy using Amalie's Dexron VI. However using the method I used of pumping fluid into a calibrated bucket and replenishing thru the fill tube doesn't work on the SRX's closed transmission. You might check what it would cost to have the dealer do it if doing the later of a full exchange.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Not sure the brand or price really matters, if it is new and clean then that is half the battle.

Good point!The mechanic told me he will do a full flushing and fluid exchange,I think I need to ask him how much fluid does he need.Thank you.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If he offers flushing ask to look at his equipment, make sure he has the x-overs to fit your trans cooling lines, I am sure you have a honest mechanic but some say they flush and have no equipment, so how did they flush?

Yes,he told me about a special equipment need it for this job.He is an honest guy,he is always showing me the parts he replaced and the equipment he uses.But I'll make sure he shows me this one.Thank you.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

You can also Google it and watch a video how its done. Done correctly its a pretty thorough process

I'm always leary of the transmission flush. I would drop the pan, change the filter and replace the 4 quarts that come out. Opinions vary on the subject, of course.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Ya no kidding, two schools of thought on this for sure.

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

YUP. There are a lot of opinions. I submit a few of my favorites:

- Most people think DEX VI can be used in any former DEX III application: and it can be in most cases - BUT NOT IN SOME GM MANUAL TRANNIES AND TRANSFER CASES THAT WERE DESIGNED FOR DEX III.

- the GM 88861800 transfer case fluid mentioned earlier is indeed the direct replacement for Dex III for the above-noted applications where the new Dex VI is specifically not recommended by GM. So, it or any good DEX III should be fine in the transfer case. I found Amsoil DEX III-compatible ATF to work a bit smoother in my C5 Corvette manual trans than the GM 88861800 - but it's full of finicky syncros, not like a transfer case.

- The GM service manual states the SRX 5-speed holds a bit over 9 qts, and the 6-speed a bit over 11 qts.
    When drained, only about 7 qts come out, leaving 2 in the 5-speed and 4 in the 6-speed.
    This was exactly my experience when I changed mine.
    So, quibbling over the "best" DEX VI fluid, among those meeting the required GM spec, might be a
    moot point, when we're leaving a third or more of the old fluid in the trans. We might be best-served by draining and refilling it twice with the cheaper stuff.

- I think tranny fluid is kinda like wax - it's not so much which brand you use, it's how often you use it.
    I changed mine at 60k, and was shocked at out dark gray it was - there was absolutely no red color left at all - nasty! I might consider doing it again, as soon as the burns on my fingers heal. What a Hell of a job!

Cheers,
    DG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.