3rd row seat will not go up - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 3rd row seat will not go up in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by orandaberg For those who think there is a safety switch in the folding latch (there is none) ...
    repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by orandaberg View Post
    For those who think there is a safety switch in the folding latch (there is none)
    http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/4...t-go-back.html
    But it still has to be folded back

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 3rd row seat will not go up

yes it does, This is really going to put a hurt in trade/sell, not only is it not functional but now there is no access to the tire jack or deployment. A potential buyer/stealer can easily argue a few thousand dollars, The cost to have it serviced at stealer a few hundred dollars, if the RSM needs replacing or a motor another few hundred plus labor.
    So anyone out there that had this and fixed it speak up please
    Looks like for what I have to pay for a GM mechanic to scratch his ass figuring out how to run a scan/and-or calibrate the rear seat I could buy a used GM TECH 2 TECH2 Vetronix Corp Z1090A Automotive Scanner Tool 1991-2007 OBDII. I can still re sell it, they always have some on Ebay

Verify the following history DTCs are not set: B1547, B1770, B1785.
    ⇒ If any of the DTCs are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle .
    The RSM must be calibrated before the folding seat system will operate. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool Rear Seat Module Calibrated parameter. The reading should be Yes.
    ⇒ If not the specified value, refer to Power Folding Seat Calibration .
    Ignition ON, observe the scan tool Body Control Module/Doors Right Rear Door Ajar Sw. parameter. The reading should be Door Ajar with the right rear door in the open position.
    ⇒ If not the specified value, refer to Door Ajar Indicator Malfunction .
    Ignition ON, observe the scan tool Liftgate Module Liftgate Ajar Switch. parameter. The reading should be Active with the liftgate in the open position.
    ⇒ If not the specified value, refer to DTC B396F .
    To enable the RSM place the gear selector in PARK, open the rear liftgate or the right rear passenger door, and perform one of the following procedures:
    • Turn the ignition ON.
    • Press the remote control keyless entry transmitter unlock button 3 times within 5 seconds.
    • Press the driver or passenger door lock switch unlock button 3 times within 5 seconds.
    Ignition ON, observe the following scan tool Rear Seat Module parameters while pressing and releasing the related switch. The reading should change between Inactive and Active.
    • Front Stow Switch
    • Rear Stow Switch
    • Recline Switch
    ⇒ If not the specified value, perform the Folding Seat Switch Component Test and/or the Folding Seat Switch Circuit/System Test.
    Observe the inoperative position of the power folding seat.
    ⇒ If the seat is stuck in a position other than the stowed position, perform the Seat Back Panel Position Switch Circuit/System Test.
    ⇒ If the seat is stuck in the stowed position, perform the Load Floor Position Switch Circuit/System Test.
    Circuit/System Testing

----------

Just for grins I think I will try the enable RSM sequence. I know the doors an hatch is active because it shows on the DIC and if you leave the key in the cylinder opening any door activates the chime. If that does not work then I need to get a estimate on scanning at the stealer. If its too high then I will just look into buying a used GM tech 2 scanner. I know it would be at least 4-500 $ to do the scan an calibrate and I would rather pay a bit more an buy used. Besides I can re sell it.

OK so it works now using the front switch button(which I did not even know I had), Its located on the right rear cargo trim behind the rear passenger seat, fold down the back exposes the button. Now the 2 buttons in the cargo area is another thing, The forward most button just chimes the rearward button does nothing. So the only button that makes the seat go up/down is the front button behind passenger seat. So my guess would be not calibrated or bad RSM in cargo area

The ones in the cargo area were the ones I always used, the green arrow show where the front switch is

The forward button(green arrow) moves the seat up and down(why they could not apply the same principle in the cargo area is beyond me) the second button towards the green arrow is the recline button, if the seat is already in the stow position then its understandable it would chime when pressed (its already reclined). the 3rd button next to the tail gate is for stowing like the front button, this button does nothing at all, so either the switch is bad or the RSM is bad or it needs calibrating. Either way its not any more a DIY, it will have to have a Scan to determine bad RSM or simply needs calibrating.
    Went to the stealer today to ask about a simple scan and possible calibration, its 253 dollars a hour, the first hr starting with accepting the car into the garage, IMO it should not take more then 30 mins. but its 1 hr min charge anyway over 1 hr and its 2 hr charge, there is no in between, so I am looking at 506 dollar plus 15% equipment usage (yes they are charging me for using the scanner) plus 26% tax for a grand total of 734 dollars.I think not! For that price I could have 2 new rear air suspension shocks from Suncore. I can sell easier now the 3rd row seats work and now has access to the jack compartment. just have to use the front button. It probably would be a lot cheaper at the stealer in Spain where the economy is so bad and competitiveness is abound. Before returning to Norway I went to the stealer and it was 66 dollars a hr for a service check to make sure all was OK for the trip back.

It just dawned on me now my scanner can read manufactures specific P1,P3,B1,B2,U1 and C1,C2, so from the manual if I had a fault in the RSM it would be B1 or U1 category, I get no DTC, so this could be rear switch.
    Just a Note
    If you run across your seat will not stow but stops half way through and returns, chek this.
    there are 2 straps which keep the seat buckles in position,should one of the straps come off it moves the buckle to where the seat senses a object and returns, you can see the straps if you open to the half way point and look under the seat from behind in the cargo area(remove plastic rail guard)

from Rippy
    ok so it looks like those switches are the same part number ... you could diagnose the switch by swapping them

hello
    If anyone out there has a 3rd row seat, I could use some help if you would lift the rear gate and activate 3rd seat mode, then press the recline button, closest to the gate,tell me if you get a motor noise, it will not do anything, but I need to know if it activates the motor, this would tell me I have a bad switch(recline) which is not letting the stow switch activate.
    This is just a step of elimination for me, if your does nothing then mine is OK and I will try another step
    thanks

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

15 of 21 posts are yours, you must never get lonely since you have yourself to talk to Make sure you pay attention and don't get into a flame war with yourself by accident.

I will try it when I get home but it will be later.

Thanks, I have to much time on my hands, I work a 2-4 rotation on the oil platforms 2 weeks work, 4 weeks free.

weccjc67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX AWD V8

hello
    If anyone out there has a 3rd row seat, I could use some help if you would lift the rear gate and activate 3rd seat mode, then press the recline button, closest to the gate,tell me if you get a motor noise, it will not do anything, but I need to know if it activates the motor, this would tell me I have a bad switch(recline) which is not letting the stow switch activate.
    This is just a step of elimination for me, if your does nothing then mine is OK and I will try another step
    thanks
    Hi orandaberg my 3rd Row Seat Operates as follows.

Cargo flap folded flat, push and hold rear button by lift gate and I get a Chime.

Cargo flap folded back to raise seat, push and hold rear button by lift gate seat raises into position.

Forward button by lift gate reclines seat.

Button by back seat when folded, raises and lowers seat if Cargo flap is in folded back position.

Now the Cargo Flap I noticed that when I tried every Flap position from folded flat to 2-3 inches from being folded back I get a chime and the seat will not move. Anything closer than 2 inches to being folded back and the seat moves. There has to be a proximity switch " Magnetic Maybe " between the Flap and the 3rd row seat back. Those 2 oval plastic caps on the 3rd row seat back might be it. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Thanks, I do not think its the cargo flap because the seat works if I use the front switch with passenger rear door open, the rear cargo switch just chimes with rear lift gate open, I can have the rear lift gate open and still use the front switch, but not the rear. Unless there are two switches on the flap one for rear and one for front , to let the switches know the flap is folded, will have to look in the manual
    My question is if you press the reclining button in the rear cargo area while the seat is stowed, does it activate the reclining motor, it will not do anything except activate the motor and stop, if yes, then my reclining switch may be bad and preventing the cargo stow switch to activate
    Here is a pic I got off Ebay that shows the bottom of the non folding portion of the flap

#6 is the seat position

Here it is on the schematics

Thanks, I do not think its the cargo flap because the seat works if I use the front switch with passenger rear door open, the rear cargo switch just chimes with rear lift gate open, I can have the rear lift gate open and still use the front switch, but not the rear.
    My question is if you press the reclining button in the rear cargo area while the seat is stowed, does it activate the reclining motor, it will not do anything except activate the motor and stop, if yes, then my reclining switch may be bad and preventing the cargo stow switch to activate
    Hi orandaberg, just went out and checked, if I press the recline button while the seat is stowed I get chimes. Flap folded or not. I hear no motor activation just chimes. Good Luck

OK thats a good sign for me I get no chimes/power pushing the stow button, but I do get chimes if I press the tilt seat button.Thanks a lot

Good News!
    The switches just pull out at the bezel, so no removing cargo trim

Used front switch in place of bad switch,

ALL OK, so no expensive scan at the dealer, no expensive parts, 20 dollars at Rippy Cadillac as a member. So all these schematics and deep investigation, fruitless, but thanks to weccjc67 for helping with the switch test and rippy for suggesting swap out switches, then I knew where to look

Glad to help, nice to see you found the problem, and whats nice is I learned more about that 3rd row seat which I never use, except when I show people it has one.

ojlove is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2004 SRX

Orandaberg, did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the same problem.

----------

sorry, i didn't see that it was a second page to this thread. I used the button behind the 2nd row and it worked like it should.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.