first time Cadillac owner: tips for buying first gen SRX?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, first time Cadillac owner: tips for buying first gen SRX? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi There! As a long time admirer of the Cadillac brand, I'm going to buy my first Cadillac: an SRX ...
    Cenobyte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

first time Cadillac owner: tips for buying first gen SRX?

Hi There!

As a long time admirer of the Cadillac brand, I'm going to buy my first Cadillac: an SRX (first generation). I prefer the Northstar engine, but I may also consider a V6, since I live in The Netherlands and the array of cars I can choose from over here is limited.

Any tips on what to look for conceirning (hidden) problems? Your ideas on engine preference please?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Re: first time Cadillac owner: tips for buying first gen SRX?

Moved from the Second Gen to the First Gen forum.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I bought mine in Holland from a dealer, do not buy one without warranty in Europe, if anything goes wrong you will pay out the nose for European service and if you need parts you have to pay as much or more in shipping as the part. DO NOT GET A FIRST GENERATION SRX WITHOUT A WARRANTY FROM CADILLAC IN EUROPE. If you still want 1st generation get the last year 2009. DO NOT GET A 07 AND BELOW(no warranty). Especially the beta version 2004.If you are not a DIY man or know where to buy parts state side your better to get a 09 model with warranty, NO WARRANTY RUN AWAY AS FAR AS YOU CAN. If you really want below 07 or above, PM me and I will write back with a list to check, and if you cannot get a Cadillac warranty, make sure the dealer gives you a 6 months to a year guarantee. As the Dutch dealer told me in Holland used cars do not have to be guaranteed and can fall apart right off the lot(as mine did,front wheel bearing went out on the way home) and they do not have to do anything, I started to take the dealer to court, but after 6 months the distance was to far for me to follow through. I do not want to see another European go through what I did after a used 07 Cadillac purchase. PM me and I will give you my email address and if you want we can correspond about what SRX you choose.. I have driven the major roads in Holland and there is always a traffic congestion. with the stop and go in Holland cities, be prepared to pay a lot in fuel cost, SRX is horrible city driving for mileage. And you know how expensive fuel cost are in Holland now. I cannot say it enough DO NOT BUY WITHOUT CADILLAC WARRANTY. get extended also, you will get your money back 5x over before the warranty expires. IMO stay away from 1st generation V6. Are you using online euro car trade web to find one. If you find a dealer with one, do not tell them you are coming. Just show up.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Orangeberg is on point. Certain options that will get expensive: mrc, panoramic sunroof, v6, lake Cadillac part of the sunroof issue, front lower control arms usually wear abnormally. Look for an awd v8 without those options and you might be OK. Get full service records and a damn good extended warranty. Have the truck looked over thouroughly by a reputable shop. Don't rush into buying one of these trucks.

brianw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX AWD V8 - 2014 F-150 SCREW

My advice - don't buy an SRX. Mine's been in the shop too many times to count and have probably paid the purchase price in repairs over the past 2.5 years.

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by brianw View Post
    My advice - don't buy an SRX. Mine's been in the shop too many times to count and have probably paid the purchase price in repairs over the past 2.5 years.
    That's pretty much spot on!! Just don't do it!!! These cars were poorly engineered and lack quality. Quite honestly, I would not buy a pre-bankrupt GM product period!!! They were building crap for years and it finally caught up with them. That being said, today is a different story. The new GM's seem to be quite nice and very competative with regards to quality when compared to Ford and Toyota.

Cenobyte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

O well, that's some honest advice then

I was getting the same advice on the Mercedes forum about buying a 2005 ML350

Went to see some SRX'es, but they wouldn't do anyway since I have some "strange" demands conceirning luggage space: I need to haul a pinball machine every now and then... I thought the SRX would have a higher luggage compartment, but it's half an inch too low

Back to used ML's I guess...

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

some of us really like our SRX and aren't having all the issues from our "poorly engineered" vehicles...do your homework and buy accordingly with any used vehicle...I see from your last post you're done with the SRX because of size...just remember...on the errornet, there are lots of complaints...some real and some imagined...good luck with your choice...

Bill

HER_SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX

What about one of the other, less expensive, same platform and engine GM SUVs? GMC Terrain, Buick Enclave, Saab 9-7x? Fewer problems and better dealer networks.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

Quote Originally Posted by HER_SRX View Post
    What about one of the other, less expensive, same platform and engine GM SUVs? GMC Terrain, Buick Enclave, Saab 9-7x? Fewer problems and better dealer networks.
    HER_SRX...perhaps similarly sized but those are all different platforms...the GMC Terrain is the GM Theta platform (front drive based), our SRX is a Sigma platform (rear drive based) and the Enclave, GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse and Saturn Outlook are the Lambda platform (front drive based)...they may share an engine size but not a whole lot else...and I wouldn't recommend buying a Saab anything since their dealer network is non existent ...

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.