Cadillac Owners Forum banner
180K views 345 replies 152 participants last post by  bbc0 
#1 ·
Finally got a chance to use the SRX's jack last weekend and noticed that the carpet in the jack compartment was soaked with water. I'm not sure how long it's been like that, but we did get some good rain last week. Now I know why there has been a mildew smell in my car all this time. I tried to figure out how water could have leaked in, but found nothing definate. I suspect the seam between the rear hatch and the rest of the body or maybe the ultraview roof gasket.

I've made in appointment with the dealer to bring it in to have it looked at along with the ECM recall. I'll keep you guys posted.

If you haven't done so, please check your jack compartment to see if you have a similar problem. I can't be the only one.

#30 ·
Have you dealer remove the plastic tailgate sill. Pull up/away the carpet that comes up to the sill (after removing jack, headrest tray if car has 3rd row seats, etc). There is a quarter inch hole in the middle of the inner surface. That's where the water ends up, and down to the area beneath the carpet.
Remove the rear tailgate rubber weatherstrip/seal. You will see that the "outer body" mates to the "inner body" and the weatherstrip fits over this joint which runs around the rear opening of the car. Apply sealant all around this joint and re-install the weatherstrip/seal. New seals come with glue/sealant preapplied. The other (much less) suspicious points are the seals where the tailight screws come through the body. You have to remove the rear trim to check how tight the 4 nuts holding the two tailights are. It took me almost a dozen visits to the dealer to finally locate the suspicious point of water entry (behind the rear door seal).

#163 ·
Krug nailed this one! I removed the complete rear gasket and found a assembly line problem (Take Note GM) The "Beetle Tape" (Black sticky stuff) they use to seal the gasket. Was properly attached to both sides of the metal that the seal is snapped on top of. The problem is someone on the line never removed the "Top" cover that protects the Beetle Tape sticking to things during installation! All I did was carefully removed the clear cover (From both the top and bottom sides) and ran a good bead of Clear silicone for a extra measure then reinstalled the seal. Original one is in perfect shape but as stated in Krug's thread the water is being balsted under the seals mount if you can believe it. Not affected by rain but the power of the water jets at the car wash! I had over two inches of water in my rear compartment. It amazes me how that water got in there...

Thanks for the great info! Dealer was clueless!:alchi:

Tomas

#33 ·
Repeating what I said in April of '05 best have the carpet/insulation replaced. You might get it dry but you may never get the mildew smell out. Our experience with a car that was flooded and the carpet just dried out was that in about a year or so the carpet simply started falling apart.

#35 ·
Just checked mine - June, 2006 production date. No H2O present - and I go through a high pressure touchless carwash A LOT.

Just wondering...any correlation between not having the third row option and presence of water (I have the 3rd row).

#38 ·
just checked, after 2 years of owning the car, shouldve done it earlier, yeap i had it soaked up completely....im just worried now how the hell these swiss people are going to figure out the source of the water...is there any tsb on this or anything? im in for one f'ed up ride....screw cadillac and their quality control, staggered tires, and tcm that works only in germany, and a sunroof that creaks more than our garage door....

#42 ·
I have the rear seat and I can't find the jack compartment. Or the place its supposed to be is empty meaning the car was sold to me without a jack. Where exactly is it in an 05 SRX 7-seater? I notice these openings as if to open the floor behind the last row of seats but i can't fogure it out...

#44 ·
I have the rear seat and I can't find the jack compartment. Or the place its supposed to be is empty meaning the car was sold to me without a jack. Where exactly is it in an 05 SRX 7-seater? I notice these openings as if to open the floor behind the last row of seats but i can't fogure it out...
Put the rear seat up. Open the area where the rear head rests are stored. Remove the head rests and then the wing nut holding down the jack cover. Remove the cover and you will see the jack. This is also where you find the screw that lowers the spare.

#47 ·
Well, FWIW, our 05 SRX V6 has no water in the jack compartment (thank goodness) and we live where it rains all of the time. I can't understand how the headrests fit into that little compartment.
The head rests must be stored with the front of the rest facing up with the rods to the rear. Open the cover and insert the head rest posts through the slats in the storage area. Push the rods rods to the rear and then push the head rests down and into the storage tray.

#51 ·
I had the same problem at least an 1 in. of water . I went to a few car washes through the summer and opened the hatch about a month ago and saw a had a mini pond.The dealer said they resealed the rear qt.glass so far no H2O.I think it's a bunch of XOIT .
Ramie

#53 ·
If I remember right some of these vehicles that are getting water in them are the same vehicles when new were having problems with rear hatch handle sticking and also breaking when you tried to open then there was a TSB that told dealer to change striker position so handle on hatch would work without breaking or sticking ,but in moving striker hatch will not seal properly . So in doing this they created a leak when really the handle should of been made properly. So now we have leaks because problem wasn't handled properly believe my there are alot of these vehicles out there with water damage in them that should be looked at.

#58 · (Edited)
My dealer thought the problem was originally a spill, but no, after a new jack and carpet the space was wet again.

I had enough issues (over 18 different ones on this 2004) for THREE SRX by-backs if I wanted to do the lemon law! Unfortunately, my nature is to try to fix things, the V8 would NOT have been available as a replacement without roof at that time like mine is, and I generally like the design philosophy behind the car.

LOOK at the latest Consumer Reports on the SRX, pitiful, way below average on almost all, nearly all black. Horrible that GM squandered such potential, if only...

Three best SUV crossover awards in the press and you still cant sell enough because the word gets out that its quality/reliability is way below average for the industry.

So very sad for GM, for America…

In fact this should be a recall as the jack will become inoperable after several years of water in the space. Nice, you are stranded out with a flat and your jack is seized, THINK ABOUT IT GM…

SYROB

#59 ·
Sorry about your misfortunes, but then I wouldn't drink from the overrated Consumer Reports' Kool-Aid either. They just cater to their subscriber base, mostly Toyondasan owners.

Don't see the toyoda recall rates getting better. Steering wheels falling off, brake problems, engine problems, and shattering windshields. I have better chances playing Blackjack.

The tides are turning, so far GM stock are doing great this year.

#66 ·
after reading a post on things to look for when buying used SRX's....i came to this thread.

I got a 2006 AWD V6 SRX & checked this out...bone dry/no water & it has been raining here since i got it, but it does show signs of water being in there in the past...a couple small mildew spots & a couple small rust spots on the jack.
I'm gonna clean the small mildew spots on the carpet & keep an eye on it.

#69 ·
after reading a post on things to look for when buying used SRX's....i came to this thread.

I got a 2006 AWD V6 SRX & checked this out...bone dry/no water & it has been raining here since i got it, but it does show signs of water being in there in the past...a couple small mildew spots & a couple small rust spots on the jack.
I'm gonna clean the small mildew spots on the carpet & keep an eye on it.
Did you take out the jack and look UNDER the carpet and the foam! I think it's a design defect so I would very look at it very closely. If it's a design problem, they all leak; but it's hidden until you pull up the carpet and remove the jack.:stirpot:

#67 ·
Checked under my jack in 2004 V-8-no 3rd row- One little rust spot but the carpet padding was soaked. Supposed to take it to dealer in few days. I was there last week and saw another SRX with its whole back end in pieces where they were looking for the leak. Do we have a definitive answer yet? Seems like everyone had a different solution.

#68 ·
My car is now being worked on. They tell me that the car is leaking through the top brake light and some parts are being ordered. I'll update about what they finally did when it's put back together.:confused: I asked if they ordered new carpet and they seemed perplexed! I'll advise on that too.:want:

#70 ·
Dealer had it for a week. Took the whole back end out it seemed and resealed the rear hatch and top brake light. Replaced carpet. The rubber gaskets and some of the plastic pieces don't seem to fit as well and to to top it off Arkansas had a medium rain a last week--It is now damp under the jack again. :eek:

#73 ·
I bet they won't know unless they make a specific effort to check that somewhat hidden area or have a flat or are anal compulsive like I am.:thumbsup:
I would bet they ALL leak---whether they fixed the defect in 2007 is questionable unless there were a rash of flat tires since it probably didn't register as a problem to GM for a few years and it may be cheaper to fix the few that are discovered.:stirpot:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.