Cadillac Owners Forum banner
180K views 345 replies 152 participants last post by  bbc0 
#1 ·
Finally got a chance to use the SRX's jack last weekend and noticed that the carpet in the jack compartment was soaked with water. I'm not sure how long it's been like that, but we did get some good rain last week. Now I know why there has been a mildew smell in my car all this time. I tried to figure out how water could have leaked in, but found nothing definate. I suspect the seam between the rear hatch and the rest of the body or maybe the ultraview roof gasket.

I've made in appointment with the dealer to bring it in to have it looked at along with the ECM recall. I'll keep you guys posted.

If you haven't done so, please check your jack compartment to see if you have a similar problem. I can't be the only one.

#154 ·
researched this issue before buying, so thanks for the info.

my compartment was dry, but had them recheck all seals, etc. and havent had issues yet since october. cross my fingers for the future.

can't believe that this isn't a recall yet though with so many documented cases.

good luck guys and gals...

#156 ·
Still leaking so I finally got pissed and put the garden hose on the roof and flooded the Shi% OUT OF IT well guys I found where mine is leaking from it's a very simple fix just caulk or seal the ultra roof drain gromment on both sides of the body these gromments do not seal the pentration as tight as the accordian gromment I hope this helps email for pics
Good Luck All

#159 ·
what about SRXs without the Ultra View?

It was a horrible 3 days of ran recently and my Jack compartment is slightly moist. I have a feeling in a couple years it'll be unruly. What areas do you suggest other than weatherstriping?
One of my old posts
"Top brake light--side seals--top seals---moon roof---rear winshield washer--clogged drain holes--covered drain holes--misaligned hatch--misaligned latch......any others????:bouncy:There is no consensus fix from GM as far as I know." And there are more fixes.............since I posted that about a year ago. I've had 5 fixes in 4 years-last one about 2 weeks ago. Still dry, I think..

#161 ·
I suspect the leak is not discovered often--only if you have a flat or read this forum. I would never have known unless I checked after I read this thread. Therefore, in the real world it's so infrequently reported to the dealer, it's not a big problem to GM. Obviously, since there is no real fix-just band aids and prayers.:banghead: Now, if 100,000 srx owners complained, they might notice.

#162 ·
There have indeed been A LOT of complaints on this. I think the real challenge is that there could be many different causes for the leak (hence no single reliable fix). Most of the times, it's related to poor sealing (such as worn weather strip); then it could also be a blocked draining system or the rear window washer system. You just need to keep trying. My car had a really bad leak when I bought it. They changed the cracked weather strip and now my jack compartment is so dry it's dusty even during the rain season... :)

#164 ·
I really need to take a look at mine, I know the car had this problem in the past.

Last time I looked it was dry, but after the next wash I'm going to take another look.

I want to Dynamat the entire area where the jack is,but it wont be possiable if its full of water.

#167 ·
I have a 2005 srx and have found this to be a very common problem, my factory warranty is expired but gm/cadillac is fixing this because of 2 plugs that they never installed. The problem surprisingly is coming up from underneath the car. It has to do with rear a/c plugs and water acually comes up from the road and sits in the spare tire well. I would be willing to bet that you do not have 3rd row seating (me neither). If not they were supposed to plug the back air vents drains and they never did. I also have a leak in the moonroof that I am payin out of pocket for. As soon as these 2 problems are fixed Im purchasing an extended warranty. Does anyone have any companies to recommend?

#168 ·
I have a 2005 srx and have found this to be a very common problem, my factory warranty is expired but gm/cadillac is fixing this because of 2 plugs that they never installed. The problem surprisingly is coming up from underneath the car. It has to do with rear a/c plugs and water acually comes up from the road and sits in the spare tire well. I would be willing to bet that you do not have 3rd row seating (me neither). If not they were supposed to plug the back air vents drains and they never did. I also have a leak in the moonroof that I am payin out of pocket for. As soon as these 2 problems are fixed Im purchasing an extended warranty. Does anyone have any companies to recommend?
Do you have a parts number for those plugs on an invoice? I would like my dealer to check it out and the specifity of a parts number would reflect my credibility on this issue.:stirpot: Also if you plug the drains, where does the water go that the drain is DESIGNED to drain go?
Thanks

#170 ·
I picked up my car yesterday from dealer. they said they plugged the ac drains so that the jack compartment would not get anymore water. However this morning on my way to work I looked n the back and the compartment was still dry(heavy rain last night). Their is still a leak between the rear window and side window(passenger side). They had also "fixed" my roof moulds and reattached the stripping, which they said would solve this problem. YET surprise surprise, soaked!!! Im bringing the car back in a few minutes and i hope to find this problem too. Also LOUISN i will get the parts number for those plugs. (it does not have them on my sheet) Im guessing from earlier messages this has to do with the draining tubes or something.

#173 ·
I picked-up our new SRX from the dealer about a week ago. Noticed water in jack compartment when I started to get aquainted with the car. Looking at the posts I thought this was going to take some time to fix. After lifting the carpet to dry it, I started looking for potential places for water intrusion. I pulled at the weather stripping/seal around the hatch opening, expecting it to be snug and secure. To my surprise I was able to easily pull it off without any resistance. Looking at a dry SRX at the dealer, the seal was impossible to budge, it had been glued and secured properly. So I have an appointment to replace the seal (to my satisfaction) with a new one. I will stress that it must be tight and secure before I accept it. Hope that it will fix the problem (given the absolute looseness of the weather strip/seal, it must be the problem!).

#175 ·
Arrgghh! I too have this problem..Interestingly, I was sent this TSB for an issue I'm having with my center high mount stop lamp:

#04-08-42-005A: High Mount Stop Lamp Bezel Lifting/Loose, Interfering with Roof Rear Edge When Lift Gate is Opened and/or High Mount Stop Lamp Replacement Info (replace Weatherstrip, Elongate Holes, Apply Adhesive) - (Aug 26, 2005)

Subject:
High Mount Stop Lamp Bezel Lifting/Loose, Interfering with Roof Rear Edge When Lift Gate is Opened and/or High Mount Stop Lamp Replacement Information (Replace Weatherstrip, Elongate Holes, Apply Adhesive)

Models:
2004 Cadillac SRX

Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 40173887

Attention:
The repair procedure in this bulletin must be followed when replacing the High Mount Stop Lamp Assembly.

Maybe the replacement weatherstripping and stop lamp gaskets will help..I've got to replace/install them regardless...We'll see..

#176 ·
I let the dealer re-install a new rear hatch weather seal. It looks better than the first one that was loose, but we will see. Local dealers aren't saying that they've seen the problem before, but are willing to help by ripping out the interior and checking to see where its coming from, even replacing the rear carpeting, all under warranty (new 09 SRX). I will keep an eye on th whether the rear weather seal was the problem, but expect its not over. Has anyone out there let their dealer rip open their interior to successfully find the leak? Good luck to all with this problem.

#177 ·
I purchased a used 2008 SRX in October and in March noticed the collection of water in the jack compartment. I thought it was from having the interior of the car washed, but it re-occurred after I dried it out. Now I realize it's due to some leak. I'm so angry. I feel like this is a well-known, well-documented problem and they had years to fix the design to avoid it. I feel ripped off.

#178 ·
Just bought a CPO 2009 SRX. The jack compartment was wet when I opened it for the first time. Had driven in torrential rain and power washed car once.

The weatherstripping was loose along the bottom of the rear hatch. I removed it, filled the split generously with black silicone sealant, and replaced it.

Now dry as a bone, even after driving in a downpour on the highway.

#180 ·
I had standing water in my '05 SRX with rear air and I read on this site that the liftgate hatch gasket was improperly installed (backing tape from adhesive never removed) and this turned out to be the cause of the problem on on mine. You could see where the water was getting around the gasket between the body and the gasket itself (not the liftgate and gasket) It was very wet. I replaced the gasket with a new one, dried out my jack compartment with some fans, and it has been bone dry since, FWIW. And in New England, this has been the wettest stretch of weather we have had in some time. I think the gasket was around $60.00, and was really simple to install.

#181 ·
Hi All;
I have a 2004 SRX and had a problem with water in jack compartment. I removed the rear hatch seal and cleaned it and resealed it with silcone sealer. I then removed the tag panel and resealed it with selcone sealer. then i cut the carpet and foam mat around the jack compartment and dryed it for several day. I then took a long small punch and on the rear panel about 3 inches up from the quarter size hole in the panel I punched a hole in the two rolled V rips so water would run outside should the seal leak. Then I put high presure tape on the quater size hole.. Good luck George Jr.

#182 ·
Hi all, I am new in this forum and i am italian. Due to the language i have not understood what is "jack compartment" can you send me a picture or explain me better so that i can check if i find water or not. i own a cadillac srx V6 awd of 2005. Somebody know how is it possible to use the gps when the car is moving? I ask everywhere but everybody say that is nont possible even i can do on my bmw and on many other cars. Tks and have a nice day

p.s.
my car is 5 seat and have the rear ac system and the skywindow

#183 ·
Open your hatch in the back of the vehicle. Look in the center against the back of the vehicle. THere is a black plastic button that opens the compartment that holds the jack to use if you have a flat tire.
The GPS can be used anytime, all you do is hit the on-star button on the rear-view mirror.

#184 ·
Well, I've got to tell you how excited I am. I pretty much gave up on the wet jack area and felt like it was something I was going to have to deal with myself but it finally dried out. I guess after my second visit (this time to a new dealership) to get this fixed they actually did it.. It took from April to sometime in the last month to finally dry out 100% I stuc a a few layers of paper towels under the jack to kep the rust from getting on the carpet. The carpet and paper towels are now bone dry. I stuck my finger in the little hole and poked around (I know what you are thinking) and it was dry. YIPPEE!! The last fix that was done was a complete replacment of the weather stripping. Good luck to the rest of you. By the way it's been very rainy in Cleveland this summer so I'm convinced the problem is fixed.

#185 ·
According to a guy I ran into by chance, he happens to teach auto body shop, and has a 2009 SRX...he says the water comes from puddles splashing up and into the car. There is an improper seal, or plug that is not plugged. Too bad I didn't get this guy's name as we happen by chance to strike a conversation while in the super market parking lot. I hope it's the latter (a plug) which can easily be replaced versus a seal which requires a more intense effort. I'm bringing the car to the dealer for the 3rd time for this problem. I have a 2004 SRX

#193 ·
The dealer "traced" the leak (after I told them where it is) to an improper seal by the rear compartment. Supposedly they sealed it, I say supposedly because I've caught this dealer (Malouf - New Brunswick) on other occasions to have "performed" a job, but did it half assed, which I called them out on. It's only been a week since the fix, and so far no additional water. And we haven't really driven the car in the rain yet, which will be the real test.

I don't understand why GM expects people to buy their cars when they are of poor quality and then have to deal with a service department who is as incompetent as their cars. This will be my last GM car, or American car for that matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.