Cadillac Owners Forum banner
180K views 345 replies 152 participants last post by  bbc0 
#1 ·
Finally got a chance to use the SRX's jack last weekend and noticed that the carpet in the jack compartment was soaked with water. I'm not sure how long it's been like that, but we did get some good rain last week. Now I know why there has been a mildew smell in my car all this time. I tried to figure out how water could have leaked in, but found nothing definate. I suspect the seam between the rear hatch and the rest of the body or maybe the ultraview roof gasket.

I've made in appointment with the dealer to bring it in to have it looked at along with the ECM recall. I'll keep you guys posted.

If you haven't done so, please check your jack compartment to see if you have a similar problem. I can't be the only one.

#122 ·
As I said earlier, louisn and john d keep me vigilant re the wet jack compartment. Just checked it today since Thursday of last week it sat in and was driven thru 4+ inches or rain. Still dry! Never had any moisture in the '04 (did not let them repair the handle pull/release problem on the hatch) nor the '05.

#123 ·
I recently noticed the screws attaching the top brake light to the body next to the rubber moldings inside the hatch look like they are corroded or rusted.
Also, I continue to find moisture underneath the rubber weatherstripping when I pull it off although the carpet remains dry!:thumbsup:

#126 ·
After a prolonged rain we didiscovered that the jack well was wet agian . I called Leakpro and the came out and looked into the problem and found water seepiping in from around the right rear tailight assembly. It is at the caddy dealer today to be sealed up I will post another update when I get it back and have a chance to test it out.

#127 ·
I had to take my SRX back to the dealer 4 times for the water in the jack area. First trip was to tell me that they had to order weather stripping. 2nd trip was to install the weather stripping. 3rd trip was to order new carpet. 4th trip was to get the carpet installed, which they did a lousey job. NOW in the beginning I told them about a seam issue that was listed on this site. They told me it was weather stripping around the hatch. I am waiting for a good rain and we will see if it is fixed. I took my jack out and cleaned the rust off myself. Good luck.

#128 ·
We just bought a 2004 SRX AWD on Saturday. I looked at it in the morning at the dealer and then had to leave town. My wife calls me that afternoon and says she wants to buy it. I didn't want to buy it without doing some research first but once she is set on something she can't let it go so I told her to go ahead. Sunday night when I get home I found this forum and read about this water issue. Went straight to the garage and sure enough the carpet is soaked. We dropped the car off on Monday and the dealer said there is a recall for this particular problem that they missed. I haven't been able to find any information on a recall. I told them about the problem with the rear hatch not opening unless you pull on the middle or right hand side of the handle so hopefully they fix that. They are also doing the catalytic converter recall as well. I will update here if they actually fix the water leak problem. It's really upsetting to buy a "new to us" car and find a problem like this.

#132 ·
The rear a/c has a evaporator core mounted in the far left rear area of the cargo area. It is mounted behind the plastic grill in this area. You have to get on your back under the left rear of the car and look above the left side muffler. Above the muffler, in the floor, you will notice 2 aluminum pipes going inside the car, these are hi and lo pressure a/c lines. In the middle of these lines is a rubber flapper looking drain, this is the a/c evaporator drip tube. If this tube clogs, the a/c condensation will overflow and drain in to the jack area. I unstopped mine and have not had this problem since.

#137 ·
Got the car back from the dealer today. I asked the service manager what was done to fix the water leak problem but he didn't know because they hire the work out to a guy that specializes in fixing these types of problems. They claim that they have never had a water leak problem return after this guy has fixed it. I hope that is true.

#148 ·
Mine is still dry after the fix. It has gone through a nice car wash and several hours of rain. Looks like at least they have one fix done right ;) A trick I used to get the moisture out - remove the plastic cover over the door sill (or is that what it's called?). You just pull up and it comes off easily (remove the two little plastic thingy under the metal rings first). It creates a huge opening to the jack area. I left it open for a few days, and the thing dried up really nice. A word of caution for those who resolve to hole drilling - beware of CO from the exhaust! Plus, the real problem is not the standing water, but the moisture trapped in the insulation. Drilling holes doesn't help much in that sense.

#150 ·
The car was in a rain for 2 days and I got 1/2 inch standing water in the jack area. I wasn't there when they did the fix. The guy said they changed the broken weatherstrip. As someone pointed out earlier, there appears to be multiple causes for the leak. I think mine happens to be the weather stripping. I suggest you keep trying it until it's fixed, if it's under warranty. Mine was wet for a few days and I could tell the insulation was starting to smell...

#153 ·
Water is one thing. I just had a practice of changing the spare wheel at 25 F before heading on a trip.
The jack was frozen solid to the floor via the carpet and there is no way it would pry off. Ended up breaking it loose with a large hammer.
These caddies should come with a Jack Hammer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.