Water in rear jack compartment? - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Water in rear jack compartment? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by natrotciv i really like how this discussion has been going on for 2 years. but does anyone ...
    nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

Re: Water in rear jack compartment?

Quote Originally Posted by natrotciv View Post
    i really like how this discussion has been going on for 2 years. but does anyone know exactly where the leak comes from? i know that everyones been saying that it depends on your car. but like, where has it been coming from the most? thanks

Thats what we are talking about two years and no rule of thumb for repair of problem!! Which relates back to rear hatch handle that was designed wrong which in turn has to be adjusted to open properly when seal is not compressed. If handle were designed correct seal would be compressed problem resolved. So two years and from what I gather from forum no real direction for repair techs from GM. Its no fun when they rip interiors apart time and time again which in turn you have scratches, noises and waste of your time !!

terryk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

I am not sure how many times we can say that there are several leak areas and not just one. The list presented a few back spell it out. Unless the dealer removes the interior and sits in there while water is run over the truck they will never know for sure. If they won't do it right, go somewhere else.

Either way, we can not tell anyone where their specific leak is. The dealer has to find it themselves.

Pizza and Pizza like this.

cubldr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II

Had identical problem in 99 Olds minvan I leased for my wife in 99. Saw this issue when I got home an hour after I picked up the vehicle. I thought I had leased a Hurricane Floyd flood vehicle (which we had in eastern NC that year). After 5-6 trips back to Olds/Caddy dealer it was finally determined that the two rubber accordian-like sheaths that enclose wiring harness cables from the upper body (at roof line in the rear hatch door jam) to the rear hatch were not sealed properly. They sealed them and that ended the problem. I also removed a plug of sealant in a 3/8 inch hole in the bottom of the jack well which allowed water to drain out. I own a DTS so haven't seen if the SRX has the same cable sheaths but I bet it does.

MortnCyn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC

It would seem to me that most if not all GM service techs would use the GM Techlink.
    GM TechLink is a monthly magazine for all GM retail technicians and service consultants providing timely information to help increase knowledge about GM products, and improve the performance of the service department. This magazine is a companion to the GM Edge publication.
    It used to be available to owners (that pay the bills) but they discontinued it for us. There was good info in the link plus good advice by service techs that found a better way or and easy way to do a job. I would assume they still do. Surely GM or some tech has given advice on how to solve the water in the jack compartment. I would ask my tech if they use the GM Techlink. If they do not know where to look, tell them to try https://www.autopartners.net/apps/dw...onn_type=other
    They will need to sign up.

When it was available I would copy data pertinent to the SRX such as the following:
    Lift Gate Handle Flex
    Owners of some 2004-05 Cadillac SRX vehicles may have concerns of liftgate handle flex and/or high pull effort.

This condition can be verified by a simple test: First, unlock the vehicle doors by activating the RKE fob twice, or use the interior door trim power unlock switch.

TIP: Customers should be aware that the liftgate is unlocked only when the rear doors are unlocked.

Second, attempt to open the gate with your hand or fingers on the left-most part of the lift gate handle. If the handle flexes and the lift gate does not open from the left-most position (but does open when pulled from the center or right side of the handle), and may exhibit a popping noise as it opens, perform the following procedure.

TIP: Do not replace the liftgate latch or the handle.

To correct this condition, adjust the liftgate striker. Refer to SI document 896082 to gain access the striker. Note the location of the striker, then loosen the fasteners enough to allow adjustment.

TIP: The striker location is fixed with spring pressure as well as the fasteners and may require additional force to move it.

The striker is adjustable both fore and aft as well as left to right. Relocate the striker a few millimeters rearward to prevent the latch bind condition. In rare cases, the liftgate interior trim may need to be removed to inspect the latch-to-striker position and to finesse the location of the striker to obtain the best fit.

After the opening and closing effort has been corrected by striker adjustment, the liftgate wedgeblocks on either side of the liftgate opening may require re-adjustment: Loosen the wedge blocks in the liftgate opening and move them to the most rearward position. Close the liftgate to locate them in the correct position. Open the gate and tighten the fasteners to specifications.

TIP: If closing effort is high, or pop noise is heard when opening, the wedges are over-adjusted. Be sure to check for proper liftgate weathersrip compression after adjustments are completed.

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

Quote Originally Posted by MortnCyn View Post
    It would seem to me that most if not all GM service techs would use the GM Techlink.
    GM TechLink is a monthly magazine for all GM retail technicians and service consultants providing timely information to help increase knowledge about GM products, and improve the performance of the service department. This magazine is a companion to the GM Edge publication.
    It used to be available to owners (that pay the bills) but they discontinued it for us. There was good info in the link plus good advice by service techs that found a better way or and easy way to do a job. I would assume they still do. Surely GM or some tech has given advice on how to solve the water in the jack compartment. I would ask my tech if they use the GM Techlink. If they do not know where to look, tell them to try https://www.autopartners.net/apps/dw...onn_type=other
    They will need to sign up.

When it was available I would copy data pertinent to the SRX such as the following:
    Lift Gate Handle Flex
    Owners of some 2004-05 Cadillac SRX vehicles may have concerns of liftgate handle flex and/or high pull effort.

This condition can be verified by a simple test: First, unlock the vehicle doors by activating the RKE fob twice, or use the interior door trim power unlock switch.

TIP: Customers should be aware that the liftgate is unlocked only when the rear doors are unlocked.

Second, attempt to open the gate with your hand or fingers on the left-most part of the lift gate handle. If the handle flexes and the lift gate does not open from the left-most position (but does open when pulled from the center or right side of the handle), and may exhibit a popping noise as it opens, perform the following procedure.

TIP: Do not replace the liftgate latch or the handle.

To correct this condition, adjust the liftgate striker. Refer to SI document 896082 to gain access the striker. Note the location of the striker, then loosen the fasteners enough to allow adjustment.

TIP: The striker location is fixed with spring pressure as well as the fasteners and may require additional force to move it.

The striker is adjustable both fore and aft as well as left to right. Relocate the striker a few millimeters rearward to prevent the latch bind condition. In rare cases, the liftgate interior trim may need to be removed to inspect the latch-to-striker position and to finesse the location of the striker to obtain the best fit.

After the opening and closing effort has been corrected by striker adjustment, the liftgate wedgeblocks on either side of the liftgate opening may require re-adjustment: Loosen the wedge blocks in the liftgate opening and move them to the most rearward position. Close the liftgate to locate them in the correct position. Open the gate and tighten the fasteners to specifications.

TIP: If closing effort is high, or pop noise is heard when opening, the wedges are over-adjusted. Be sure to check for proper liftgate weathersrip compression after adjustments are completed.

This is what I'm talking about latch has to be adjusted so that it doesn't compress seals properly. Handle is too flimsy to operate properly without flexing or breaking when used to open hatch. When these came from factory you can bet that hatch was adjusted properly (being so many vehicles were adjusted this way) so it would go thru water test for leaks without having water where it's not wanted.All these customers with leaks going thru this problem when bottom line is flimsy handle should be made to open hatch properly when hatch is at proper adjustment. All GM is doing is trying to get these vehicles to the four year so they can wash ther hands of them when handle should have been fixed three years ago satisfying owners and keeping jacks that work if you need it, that what they are there for. GM design handle that operates properly. Not one that won't open when it sets in sun that is so flimsy it acts like hatch is locked.

moveebuff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX

I've had my 2004 SRX for exactly 30 days and after reading this forum I just went out to check for water in the rear jack compartment and sure enough, it's wet and the jack has rust on it. This is the first GM car i've owned in years. I gave up my Lexus for the SRX and now i'm wondering if I made a big mistake by buying this car.... I love the way it look, handles etc. but after only having it for 30 days and the back window doesn't close and now discovering the water issue, i'm really concerned!

DG2
    DG2 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Well, I have had my 2004 SRX for alomst 4 years now and I just noticed this as well ! I do have good news as I have quickly found the reason for the water in the rear. After I noticed the Jack caprpet was very wet I had dried it out pretty good. Tonight was a cool night so I turned off the AC and opened the Ultraview. By the time I got home after a 15 mile drive I checked the Jack area and it was wet again !!!

Somehow not running the AC and just having fresh air come in has caused this. I am stumped and angry.

I will repeat what I said on this forum way back in 2003 when I got my SRX, it is an awesome car, looks, power etc. However, I am thinking it may be time to trade her in for the new Buick Enclave. The worst part of the SRX is the resale value. If I trade it in the dealers will only give $18,000. Mine is a AWD V8 White Diamond with every option offered !! The sticker was $59,000!!! $18 k in 3.5 years -- I don't get it...

jsportel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Unhappy Re: Water in rear jack compartment?

Quote Originally Posted by krug300 View Post
    Same here. Car is brand new and was exposed to alot of rain last month. While removing the jack, the carpet under it was soaked. Things were more complicated though, because there is almost an inch of insulating material under the carpet and it would not dry. Car has been in the garage with a heater under the spare wheel and one week later it seems to be almost dry. Try inserting your finger in the hole where the spare lowering nut is located. Move your finger under the insulation. Rear hatch seal looks OK, and the ultraview gasket also OK. The roof is allowed to "leak" some water, hence the roof drains which exit around midway down the rear hatch sides outboard (of course) of the seal.
    I just bought my 04 srx in Jan via e-bay car was in Fort Lauderdale and I live in Ontario Canada I just got the pano roof fixed (the klunkety klunk noise) and am now tryiing to fix the water problem in the jack compartment so far I have cut the bottom 4 inches of carpet out and applieed a generous coating of rubberized undercoating spray to the underside of the srx the next thing to try is the upper body welds by the liftgate hinges and the upper middle brakke light seals. if none of that works I will probably just drill a new drain hole in the well. this doesn't fix the problemm but it should let the water to to drain away hopefully.

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

jspoetel - Before you drill holes...............in addition to what you've listed thee are body seams behind the tail lights (both sides) and leakage on mine was ALSO at the rear mounting holes of the top rack.
    Unfortunately, to reach these leaks the interior trim has to be removed. Glad mine was under warranty.

I have had the roof rack drains blown clean (there was no blockage there) So hopefully that is not a part of my problem. How much work is it to remove the tail light assemblies? I will try to get them off to re-caulk the seams there. Thanks ever so much for your advice and insights on this problem.

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jsportel View Post
    I have had the roof rack drains blown clean (there was no blockage there) So hopefully that is not a part of my problem. How much work is it to remove the tail light assemblies? I will try to get them off to re-caulk the seams there. Thanks ever so much for your advice and insights on this problem.
    I think the drains you had blown are for the Ultraview. I'm talking about the holes through the roof for the roof racks rear mounting points.
    The dealer had mine for 2 and a half days for the taillight and roof rack work. My dealer's really good and I doubt if hardly any of that time was dead time.
    Maybe on of the Cadillac Techs that help with their expertise can answer what needs to happen to reach these areas but I think you start by removing the rear seats and then work back from the panels rear of the back door.
    AND..if you resort to drilling holes first check underneath for the spare tire, wiring, etc.

luckykiwi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi all.

I have a 2007 srx AWD, great car but we just put a hitch on and discovered the rear end is full of water we are in western Canada Calgary, the car is a US import,,, not the dealer is give me the run around,,, not a problem not warranty,, not GM fault...they say the water came in via the antenna hole for the onstar mast/antenna which was missing ,,, but I say B.S..

Does anyone know of a recall or tech bulletin that can show GM & my dealer ,,, my bill so far is $ 800 and climbing,,,plus its raining again,,,,,,

Hi all I went to the local caddy dealer and they referred me to a company called LEAKPRO. They came to my home and after a few minutes discussing the the problem He said he knew exactly what to do . He removed the rubber seal and used a different glue to put it back on and then he showed were the water was getting in (it had left a dirty track at the bottom) He explained that the water would not drain properly as the seal did not have a drain hole on the bottom , the water could in the seal at the top where it has some small holes in it (part of the design and manufacturing process) but not at the bottom ; He proceeded to cut a small holle in the bottom (about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch). He then checked out the rear lift gate and removed the inner panel and the complete back-up light and licence plate panel and cleaned it and resaeled it whith his special sealant . After he was done we took the hose to the entire rear door and roof for a good 15 minutes and everything stayed dry inside. Hopefully this has fixed the problem just waitng for a good rain storm now.

Leak Pro 1-888-leakfix or www.leakpro.com

louisn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx V-8 awd

Quote Originally Posted by jsportel View Post
    Hi all I went to the local caddy dealer and they referred me to a company called LEAKPRO. They came to my home and after a few minutes discussing the the problem He said he knew exactly what to do . He removed the rubber seal and used a different glue to put it back on and then he showed were the water was getting in (it had left a dirty track at the bottom) He explained that the water would not drain properly as the seal did not have a drain hole on the bottom , the water could in the seal at the top where it has some small holes in it (part of the design and manufacturing process) but not at the bottom ; He proceeded to cut a small holle in the bottom (about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch). He then checked out the rear lift gate and removed the inner panel and the complete back-up light and licence plate panel and cleaned it and resaeled it whith his special sealant . After he was done we took the hose to the entire rear door and roof for a good 15 minutes and everything stayed dry inside. Hopefully this has fixed the problem just waitng for a good rain storm now.

Leak Pro 1-888-leakfix or www.leakpro.com
    Another cure. I'm unclear where the "dirty track was at the bottom". At the bottom of WHAT???????? Thanks.
    Mine has been in 3 times and had 3 different repairs and still has a small leak.

There was a dirt track at the bottom of the rear hatch door under the rubber seal where the water was lealing in to the jack well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.