Water in rear jack compartment? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Water in rear jack compartment? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by ckrichards Interesting. My rear hatch handle has always been tough to operate, but I know to use ...
    MortnCyn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC

Re: Water in rear jack compartment?

Quote Originally Posted by ckrichards View Post
    Interesting. My rear hatch handle has always been tough to operate, but I know to use the correct side of the handle. I have lived with it, and my rear compartment has stayed dry.
    Ditto for us. Our '04 had the problem and we opted to just pull on the right side of the handle rather than let them fool with the latch etc. We never got a drop of water in the '04 and our '05 opens and closes so easily I thought it was not latching.

mjk
    mjk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 srx v6

Quote Originally Posted by MortnCyn View Post
    Ditto for us. Our '04 had the problem and we opted to just pull on the right side of the handle rather than let them fool with the latch etc. We never got a drop of water in the '04 and our '05 opens and closes so easily I thought it was not latching.
    that's strange because I have to pull on the right side to open and still got my compartment flooded (see pictures a few posts back)

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

The old fix for this problem with sedans was to punch a drain hole in the bottom of the spare tire well and slap some paint on it to keep it from rusting.

louisn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx V-8 awd

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv View Post
    The old fix for this problem with sedans was to punch a drain hole in the bottom of the spare tire well and slap some paint on it to keep it from rusting.
    "Back in the day" is the phrase used by the young folks. !!!

syrob@MSN.COM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mjk View Post
    that's strange because I have to pull on the right side to open and still got my compartment flooded (see pictures a few posts back)
    There is a known defect in the body sealing in the early 2004s. It has noting to do with the door. My dealer eventually found this out through their tech support. They know about this potential issue and have a complex series of steps to fix it.

SYROB

jmayhew is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 Cadillac SRX, 06 CTS-V

after reading a post on things to look for when buying used SRX's....i came to this thread.

I got a 2006 AWD V6 SRX & checked this out...bone dry/no water & it has been raining here since i got it, but it does show signs of water being in there in the past...a couple small mildew spots & a couple small rust spots on the jack.
    I'm gonna clean the small mildew spots on the carpet & keep an eye on it.

Checked under my jack in 2004 V-8-no 3rd row- One little rust spot but the carpet padding was soaked. Supposed to take it to dealer in few days. I was there last week and saw another SRX with its whole back end in pieces where they were looking for the leak. Do we have a definitive answer yet? Seems like everyone had a different solution.

My car is now being worked on. They tell me that the car is leaking through the top brake light and some parts are being ordered. I'll update about what they finally did when it's put back together. I asked if they ordered new carpet and they seemed perplexed! I'll advise on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by jmayhew View Post
    after reading a post on things to look for when buying used SRX's....i came to this thread.

I got a 2006 AWD V6 SRX & checked this out...bone dry/no water & it has been raining here since i got it, but it does show signs of water being in there in the past...a couple small mildew spots & a couple small rust spots on the jack.
    I'm gonna clean the small mildew spots on the carpet & keep an eye on it.
    Did you take out the jack and look UNDER the carpet and the foam! I think it's a design defect so I would very look at it very closely. If it's a design problem, they all leak; but it's hidden until you pull up the carpet and remove the jack.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    My car is now being worked on. They tell me that the car is leaking through the top brake light and some parts are being ordered. I'll update about what they finally did when it's put back together. I asked if they ordered new carpet and they seemed perplexed! I'll advise on that too.
    Dealer had it for a week. Took the whole back end out it seemed and resealed the rear hatch and top brake light. Replaced carpet. The rubber gaskets and some of the plastic pieces don't seem to fit as well and to to top it off Arkansas had a medium rain a last week--It is now damp under the jack again.

paci is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by louisn View Post
    Dealer had it for a week. Took the whole back end out it seemed and resealed the rear hatch and top brake light. Replaced carpet. The rubber gaskets and some of the plastic pieces don't seem to fit as well and to to top it off Arkansas had a medium rain a last week--It is now damp under the jack again.

sorry to hear that you are having repeated problems

if you want you can ask your dealer to contact mine - Cole Valley Cadillac in Warren, OH www.colecars.biz

somehow they fixed it on the first attempt.

yaron2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Anyone experiencing this issue with a 2007???

Quote Originally Posted by yaron2 View Post
    Anyone experiencing this issue with a 2007???
    I bet they won't know unless they make a specific effort to check that somewhat hidden area or have a flat or are anal compulsive like I am.
    I would bet they ALL leak---whether they fixed the defect in 2007 is questionable unless there were a rash of flat tires since it probably didn't register as a problem to GM for a few years and it may be cheaper to fix the few that are discovered.

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

Quote Originally Posted by louisn View Post
    I bet they won't know unless they make a specific effort to check that somewhat hidden area or have a flat or are anal compulsive like I am.
    I would bet they ALL leak---whether they fixed the defect in 2007 is questionable unless there were a rash of flat tires since it probably didn't register as a problem to GM for a few years and it may be cheaper to fix the few that are discovered.
    Louisn did you have the hatch latch adjusted for not wanting to open up with handle because handle would bend or break when outside temperature was high.I think some of these leaks are from adjusting latch so handle would open hatch which in turn doesn't compress seal properly which in turn leaks.If your right about cheaper to fix statement with the 04's they have only one year to play with this problem when at the start of problem they should of made handle properly so it would open hatch properly!

Quote Originally Posted by nstar View Post
    Louis did you have the hatch latch adjusted for not wanting to open up with handle because handle would bend or break when outside temperature was high.I think some of these leaks are from adjusting latch so handle would open hatch which in turn doesn't compress seal properly which in turn leaks.If your right about cheaper to fix statement with the 04's they have only one year to play with this problem when at the start of problem they should of made handle properly so it would open hatch properly!
    Yes, i had the latch fixed--but Cadillac alleges the problem is the top brake light. It's dry right now--maybe the new slight dampness I found after the fix was something else. I'll keep watching.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.