Water in rear jack compartment? - Page 17
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Water in rear jack compartment? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by buckshot Just bought my 2007 SRX4 V8 Sport in Jewel Red after Christmas. It had come off ...
    buckshot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac SRX4 V8 Sport

Re: Water in rear jack compartment? found

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot View Post
    Just bought my 2007 SRX4 V8 Sport in Jewel Red after Christmas. It had come off a 3-year lease and had been on the dealer's lot for 3+ months. I drove it twice over that time and decided it would make an excellent replacement for out aging family hauler van (2001 Windstar LTD). With only 45,000 miles (75,000 km), it appears to have been well maintained and was very clean without a mark on the body. Sure enough, there was some mild dampness down in the the jack storage bin which had transferred some rust marks into the carpet from the bottom of the jack. After completely cleaning it and fully drying the carpeting, I repainted the jack bottom to resolve the rust and reassembled things. A month later and it is still very dry. The carpeting in general was slightly damp when I took delivery as it had been shampooed some time earlier and just didn't fully dry (sitting on a dealer's lot in winter?). I thought perhaps this was the source of the storage area dampness or this may just be wishfull thinking on my part.
    My wishful thinking turned out to be just that. The dampess turned to a small pond after several heavy rains last fall. Kept vacuuming it out and using a fan heater to dry the carpeting but the source wasn't found. There were no obvious signs of water in the headliner thankfully. Highland GMC in Aurora brought in a leak detection service and they resealed the body seams at the top of the rear hatch plus repaired the sunroof drains (I assume they were plugged or disconnected) for $257 CDN. Money well worth spending as it has stopped further leaking for now. I was able to get the carpet nearly dry (given it is winter) but really need to lift the carpeting and dry the sound deadening underpad completely. Any DIY's on how the get the various trims off to do this? I don't want to start breaking the back sill or side panels!!!

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: Water in rear jack compartment?

BUMP for current interested party.

PJ

buckshot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac SRX4 V8 Sport

Hey PJ, Bit of a newbie to forums and am not familiar with what this comment means! HELP please.

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    PJ wanted someone else to see this thread cuz it might apply to them. The 'bump", or a post with no useful content to an existing thread, brings the thread to the top of the first page and makes it easier to see for a while. Some sites don't tolerate bumps. We do when done with good intentions.

Someone bumping their own tirade about something just to make it visible is a fine example of an unwanted bump and a great way to get a thread locked or deleted. Proceed with caution.

We're good here for now. (plus another free bump due to this explanation)

One reason so many people ask the "Lake Cadillac" question might be the fact that they don't realize that this thread is one of the "Stickeys" at the beginning of the thread listing. When you click on that you get a list of hotly discussed topics missing one thing: the topic title. You have to click on each one to see what each one is all about.

PJ

sappy96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX4

Have the same problem in my 2008 srx4. Haven't found where the water is entering from yet.

superfly38 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

please email the pics. where are the drain inlets for the sun roof so that I clean then? Thanks

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

The drains are at the 4 corners of the roof. Manual says to clean with a flexible wire or about 35# compressed air. You need to open the roof or lift trim to see openings for the drains which go into hoses down through the A and D pillars.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

ATM
    ATM is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am amazed this thread is still alive. I first posted back on page 1 almost 8 years ago. At the time it had been almost a year since the dealer resolved the issue and I assumed my leak was fixed for good. I got a weather tech cargo liner and never looked back. Last week my wife pulled out the liner and noticed the carpet was damp around the latch...the jack compartment was damp too. I pulled off the plastic trim but its not obvious how water is getting around the weather stripping. Does anyone have a picture of the seams that they found were the cause of their leaks?
    Kool Duck and Kool Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post
    I am amazed this thread is still alive. I first posted back on page 1 almost 8 years ago. At the time it had been almost a year since the dealer resolved the issue and I assumed my leak was fixed for good. I got a weather tech cargo liner and never looked back. Last week my wife pulled out the liner and noticed the carpet was damp around the latch...the jack compartment was damp too. I pulled off the plastic trim but its not obvious how water is getting around the weather stripping. Does anyone have a picture of the seams that they found were the cause of their leaks?
    What I and many found is that the pinch welds in the rear hatch drain trough were not quite up to snuff (not sealed perfectly). I believe my dealer took off the rear hatch weatherstripping and just put a dab of sealant on the pinch welds, then put the weatherstripping back on. That was three years ago. The problem was rectified and has not reoccured (yet).

That being said, however, while the fix I mentioned does explain how water/dampness got down into the jack well, it does not explain how the cargo carpeting also got wet in the extreme rear.......sounds weatherstripping-related to me. Not sealing correctly? It sure is old on your SRX. Is the weatherstripping still maleable, secure, and free of any cracks, creases, or shape abnormalities?

PJ

ATM
    ATM is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The weatherstrip still looks good, not dried up, no cracks or flat spots. I guess the only way to tell for sure is to climb in there and have my wife blast it with a hose or pressure washer...

I love the rust spot many of us have in the jack compartment.
    Kool Duck and Kool Duck like this.

Kool Duck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

04 here water in the jack compartment. Fought it and fought it and finally just quit looking at it and assume it is dry. I have to many other problems with this car to fish in the pond back there any way. I just bought a used mini and was doing some work on it any to in hook the battery. Guess what its in the back and there was water In there as well. I'm drilling holes and forgetting about it too. I will say if my wife didn't love the car I would have torches already
    Carrick likes this.

Sometimes the DIY approach does not work. The right Caddy dealership who has done a lot of these rear jack compartment leaks is a better bet.....or an independent water leak expert. The better collision shops have to deal with this stuff when they are repairing a vehicle that has been popped pretty good too.

Better dealerships are out there as are the independent experts. The cost of the vehicle is too high to me to let this go unattended especially when the fix is closer at hand than you may think. Stop fussing and git er done!!!!

PJ

SRXChris is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 SRX

To add what I can, I had water in mine after a while. 2005 SRX.

After stripping the entire rear interior and running a hose over the back, I located the leak.

As the water traveled down the left (drivers) side of the D pillar (hatch weatherstrip) I could see at the lower LEFT corner it was slightly dripping, kind of oozing, under the rubber (between the weather strip and pinch seam). It was not gushing in at all, and took about 30 minutes of running the water over the closed hatch to see the seepage.

A new weather strip and some added weather strip glue resolved the leak.

bwilkins750 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): future srx owner

I cleaned the drain channels, and reseated the rear hatch weather stripping and my leak problem went away. I also cut the carpet out of the jack compartment in case it did ever leak again. The previous owner had given up I suppose because when I bout the car it already had a damp smell in it. Took a few week to really dry out and get rid of the odor. Now I check every few months to see if any water has returned and so far, nothing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.