Water in rear jack compartment? - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Water in rear jack compartment? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by scannerdan Have a 06 with the 3rd row. When I bought the car it was dry (came ...
    PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: Water in rear jack compartment?

Quote Originally Posted by scannerdan View Post
    Have a 06 with the 3rd row. When I bought the car it was dry (came from a 90yr old with 30000) after dropping the rear tire to put a hitch on it was dry and a year later it was wet, the recessed hole that the cable that goes to the spare was full of water as well as the carpet was damp. I'm starting to question if the water is coming up from the seal on the cable.
    scannerdan........could be.

When I was doing my research on this, there were some posters who reported back that their dealer told them "........missing seal(s) in rear fender well." Whether that means the seal around the cable you mentioned (not familiar with that) or it means some larger seal around the major splash panels is anybody's guess.

There is a lot of water flying and splattering all over the place up in a fender well.

I also suspect that the previous owner didn't take a lot of road trips in inclement weather and may have kept the SRX garaged a lot of the time. The reason I say that is that when one is approaching 90 years old they have a tendency to stay at home during the inclement weather rather than fight the elements.

PJ

irate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 srx awd v8

so i have been reading this post from work and i just couldn't wait to get home to check my jack compartment. When I got home i checked my compartment and it is dry but I found this (pictures below). I am the 3rd owner and I just bought this thing about a month ago. It appears one of the previous owners sealed around the top seal, along with probably replacing the seal. It appears to be excess sealant leaking down in drips from by the weather strip, and then it dried that way. A little rust but not a lot. So chalk up my srx to a leak in the top of the gasket of the rear hatch. Good luck to all who are still fighting with this problem.

i
    Attached Images

Tony Parrott is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX AWD V8

I just bought a 2006 AWD V8 with water in the jack well. I poured some water on the roof in the back and found that it poured directly into the car right on top of the 3rd row glove box on the right side of the vehicle. I called the Honda dealer I bought it from and they fixed it no questions asked. They hired a leak detection company and diagnosed it as loose roof drains. They secured the loose right one and sturdied up the other one while they were at it. We will see if she still leaks. I cut out the carpet on the bottom of the jack well since it had a little rust anyways. I will keep an eye on this thing.

Tony.........welcome to the Lake Cadillac Club, of which I am a former member. No, you don't get mooring or "clubhouse" priviledges.

PJ

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    Tony.........welcome to the Lake Cadillac Club, of which I am a former member. No, you don't get mooring or "clubhouse" priviledges.

PJ
    I had been watching the car on Autotrader for a little while and finally decided to test drive it. I came back a couple hours after test driving it to work up the financing and trade-in and was super happy with my find. I remember reading on this forum about the water leak but, somehow glazed over it as I had so much info in my head I never gave it much thought. I felt the carpet back there and lifted the jack well cover but, assumed it was wet from detailing since the car was so clean. Now, if I had opened the 3rd row glovebox and felt the water in there it would've thrown up a flag. It appears to be fixed now so hopefully I don't have to worry about it much anymore... other than constantly check back there after car washes and rain showers.

Here's another thing.... the automatic 3rd row folding button in the cargo area doesn't work probably due to the water that leaked above it. Funny thing is the 3rd row tilt button right next to it works just fine. The Honda dealer said that I could bring the car back when they weren't so busy so they could "pull the carpet" and check the fuse to this non-functioning button. Does this sound like a viable option as to why this button doesn't work?

Tony.........take out your owner's manual and carefully reread the section on operating the electrically folding third row seat. It is a bit tricky, and if you don't follow the instructions perfectly, all you will get is a ding ding ding; but no movement. That pin/key that secures the pivoting cargo floor cover has to be secured or unsecured, depending on weather you are stowing the seat or deploying the seat. And it needs to be in the proper position.

If I do one thing wrong..... And it seems I have to wait a minute or so to retry the sequence before it cooperates.

PJ

I know what you're saying about the carpeted seat cover and the little keeper that holds it down. I've never got a "ding ding ding" sound. Funny thing is that the other button behind the passenger side second row works fine. I've tried all sorts of scenarios to get the rear button to work and nothing. So I walk over and flip over the second row and press the button and voila, painfully slow poetry in motion. Folds and unfolds everytime.

Is there an associated fuse that would prevent this rear button from working? Honda said they wanted to check under the carpet or something. Sound right?

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

There are fuse panels, left and right, under the front edge of the 2nd row seats, right where your heels would be. You have to 'lift' the carpet to get to them. I can't believe a separate fuse would be required for up/down, the switch is probably failing. Should be relatively inexpensive.

Water Leak Update: NO WATER.

It rained like crazy last night and I got soaking wet loading groceries at Costco. That giant rear door makes for a pretty good umbrella. I couldn't do that with the VW. I went out a few minutes ago and lifted the jack/headrest lid and found no water at all. Joe Morgan Honda and the leak detection company did me right when they fixed my roof drains.

I need to check into that fuse panel and see if there's a fuse associated with the rear 3rd row seat controls. That'd be nice!

I think you two are right about the switch since that is right where the water leak was dumping water. But it is a lot easier to check the fuse first.

PJ

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

To save your fingers, there is 1 fuse for all three switches and 1 fuse for the module. The switches are simple momentary contact switches, all the same.

nohnother is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

I've had my 04 for four years, found this same problem. 2 attempts to fix and still leaks.

warreneaux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX V8 Black/Black

Finally got into the Jack area of my 2006 and it is dry as a bone. Thank goodness.
    Earl

Mine is still dry after a bunch of rain and I plan to set a can or two of Damp Rid underneath the jack/head rest cover to help pull out any remaining water in the carpet. I cut out the bottom of the floor in the jack/head rest well since it was holding a ton of water and the carpet had some rust stains from the bottom of the jack.

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    To save your fingers, there is 1 fuse for all three switches and 1 fuse for the module. The switches are simple momentary contact switches, all the same.
    So you're saying that if the fold/unfold button behind the second row passenger seat works along with the tilt button in the third row, then the fold/unfold button in the third row should work? Basically, if the fuse is bad then all three buttons shouldn't work. It appears my switch is bad since it's the only one that doesn't work out of the three.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.