Water in rear jack compartment? - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Water in rear jack compartment? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi All; I have a 2004 SRX and had a problem with water in jack compartment. I removed the rear ...
    George,Jr. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Water in rear jack compartment?

Hi All;
    I have a 2004 SRX and had a problem with water in jack compartment. I removed the rear hatch seal and cleaned it and resealed it with silcone sealer. I then removed the tag panel and resealed it with selcone sealer. then i cut the carpet and foam mat around the jack compartment and dryed it for several day. I then took a long small punch and on the rear panel about 3 inches up from the quarter size hole in the panel I punched a hole in the two rolled V rips so water would run outside should the seal leak. Then I put high presure tape on the quater size hole.. Good luck George Jr.

marietto-italy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi all, I am new in this forum and i am italian. Due to the language i have not understood what is "jack compartment" can you send me a picture or explain me better so that i can check if i find water or not. i own a cadillac srx V6 awd of 2005. Somebody know how is it possible to use the gps when the car is moving? I ask everywhere but everybody say that is nont possible even i can do on my bmw and on many other cars. Tks and have a nice day

p.s.
    my car is 5 seat and have the rear ac system and the skywindow

George,Jr. is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Open your hatch in the back of the vehicle. Look in the center against the back of the vehicle. THere is a black plastic button that opens the compartment that holds the jack to use if you have a flat tire.
    The GPS can be used anytime, all you do is hit the on-star button on the rear-view mirror.

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD

Well, I've got to tell you how excited I am. I pretty much gave up on the wet jack area and felt like it was something I was going to have to deal with myself but it finally dried out. I guess after my second visit (this time to a new dealership) to get this fixed they actually did it.. It took from April to sometime in the last month to finally dry out 100% I stuc a a few layers of paper towels under the jack to kep the rust from getting on the carpet. The carpet and paper towels are now bone dry. I stuck my finger in the little hole and poked around (I know what you are thinking) and it was dry. YIPPEE!! The last fix that was done was a complete replacment of the weather stripping. Good luck to the rest of you. By the way it's been very rainy in Cleveland this summer so I'm convinced the problem is fixed.

DavidfromNJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

According to a guy I ran into by chance, he happens to teach auto body shop, and has a 2009 SRX...he says the water comes from puddles splashing up and into the car. There is an improper seal, or plug that is not plugged. Too bad I didn't get this guy's name as we happen by chance to strike a conversation while in the super market parking lot. I hope it's the latter (a plug) which can easily be replaced versus a seal which requires a more intense effort. I'm bringing the car to the dealer for the 3rd time for this problem. I have a 2004 SRX

Tri-SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2010 CTS 3.6DI FE3, 2011 CTS-V

Wow, what a mess. I discovered 2" of water in mine the night before it went back off lease. Dried it up the best I could and never knew what the cause was until today. Hope the next owner discovers it and is able to get it fixed under warranty.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Well.....this thread should heat up again due to all of the rain in the Northeast USA.

I read all 13 pages of this thread before taking my newly acquired CPO 07 in for the classic Lake SRX problem. I must have read about a dozen suggested problem areas and fixes.

My leak turned out to be a gap (hole) in a pinch weld (dealer's terminology) under the rear hatch rubber molding. The water was allegedly running right into the gap and down into the jack storage (and 3rd row headrest storage) bin. They "sealed" the gap and reinstalled the molding.

That was the end of the leak, on the first shop visit for it. Didn't leak during a monsoon and 50 mph winds a couple of weeks back, despite a 170 mile trip up to Maine and back. I'll report back after this current N'oreaster deluge has passed. 10" of rain so far and 2" more expected before things wind down around 11 pm, winds gusting to 35mph still, 50 mph yesterday. Am driving 100 miles tonight in the mess tonight up to NH. This present storm should be another good test.

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD

Well, I'm still dry...see previous posts..

louisn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx V-8 awd

The bad weld/seal makes sense. I had several fixes that didn't work; but when they put new weather stripping on the hatch with some type of sealant/glue underneath the weather stripping, the leak stopped.
    Cadillac must have spent a grand trying to isolate the problem on our srx-Took 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    Well.....this thread should heat up again due to all of the rain in the Northeast USA.

I read all 13 pages of this thread before taking my newly acquired CPO 07 in for the classic Lake SRX problem. I must have read about a dozen suggested problem areas and fixes.

My leak turned out to be a gap (hole) in a pinch weld (dealer's terminology) under the rear hatch rubber molding. The water was allegedly running right into the gap and down into the jack storage (and 3rd row headrest storage) bin. They "sealed" the gap and reinstalled the molding.

That was the end of the leak, on the first shop visit for it.

Didn't leak during a monsoon and 50 mph winds a couple of weeks back, despite a 170 mile trip up to Maine and back. I'll report back after this current N'oreaster deluge has passed. 10" of rain so far and 2" more expected before things wind down around 11 pm, winds gusting to 35mph still, 50 mph yesterday. Am driving 100 miles tonight in the mess tonight up to NH. This present storm should be another good test.
    OK......checked the jack compartment this morning and it still remains dry after last night's 100 mile round trip in the rain and high winds.

So the fix I described using the dealer's own words on the work order has worked so far, for me at least. I really hope this info can help some of you out.

In summary, the car has been through high pressure car washes after the fix. We have made 3 trips of at least 100 miles highway with wind gusts for all 3 in excess of 35mph and driving monsoon-like rains.

I wish some of the dozen or so fixes explained by others who have had success stopping the 2004-2008 SRX water leak were more specific for all concerned. I don't doubt for a second that the source of the leak could come from any one or more sources. It is just that the frustration level runs high for those of us who have in good faith forked over a lot of money and have a right to expect a watertight vehicle. Some of us stumbled into Cadillac dealers who were a cut above while others were not so fortunate.

Personally, I would not return to a dealer whose service department cannot play, with a degree of success, the hand they are dealt. If several dealers can fix these cars, and the service network of TSBs is working correctly for GM, then the reputation of either Cadillac or General Motors need not be impugned. I'd swap dealers in a heart beat if I mine didn't work out and I had an alternative dealership. Some of us don't have this luxury.

What is also curious to me is that from a design, engineering, manufacturing, and then the ex post facto service component that something like this particular water leak cannot be ironed out throughout the entire 6 years of First Generation SRXs. This disconnect suggests that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing, or why.

This "leak into the rear storage bin" issue covers 13 pages of posts in this forum alone, but there are more forums out out there with more of the same. What percentages of SRXs have or have had this leak? I don't know. Does it represent 5% or 25% of SRX owners? We'll never know about the vast majority who may have had the leak rectified, or didn't have one in the first place.

Either way, this well documented leak example suggests that there is no-cross functional accountability in place that holds each and all functions at Cadillac/GM dialed into the same result: quality out of the box, and/or quality down the road if certain glitches like this leak could neither be wrung out or anticipated before the vehicle's release. A car that hits the street is everyone's responsibility. Failure and success measured and shared equally by all.

Granted, this instance of the water leak possibly eminates from several different sources. The fix might be a bit more complex and take a model year or so to sort out. Not 6 years....if GM wants to be around in a few years.

General Electric has a zero defects mantra, and their employees live and work that mantra. Top to bottom their employees are recognized and rewarded for carrying it out. Does GE get zero defects with the products they produce? Of course not. But GE is the poster corporation for quality, regardless of product and has been highly successful as a result. This is one of the primary reasons why GE is number one or number two in market share for every market in which they participate. Their stuff may cost more on the front end, but their stuff is relatively bullet proof.

This same quality culture exists in some car companies as well. You might observe that all of those solid red circles (much better than average) in the Consumers Reports Used Car Buyers' Guide are nothing more than money-fueled propaganda. But your family, friends, and neighbors will tell you differently, as will the marketplace as a whole. Automotive customers vote with their wallets.

My wife wanted an SRX. So I bought my used low mileage CPO (a zillion point inspection crock) well-optioned 07 with my eyes wide open. I felt that despite Consumers Reports' trashing of the (V6) SRX and the info contained in these forums that if she/I wanted an SRX bad enough I had better bone up on some things and DEMAND results from my dealer and from GM.

I can assure you that my SRX was traded in by the previous owner with a number of glitches, some serious, that I have detailed in the "So how is your new SRX doing" thread. They were "missed' during the certified pre owned inspection and were not apparent on delivery. But my issues were satisfactorily resolved in short order. Go figure.

What went South on this car and first owner's go around? I can't say. How did I get satisfactory fixes? I committed to make the decision to own an SRX work. Not the safer MDX decision, but the SRX decision. And work with my dealer I did.

I was no-nonsense, professional, courteous, but insistent if not demanding of what I felt I had a right to expect. I started this business relationship by asking the dealer's service manager be present during the delivery of my car. Met every service writer and service tech who touched my car. Thoroughly documented everything before, during, and after my visits with back and forth emails to and from the dealer in a level of detail that would make you vomit. My dealer delivered where they had not before. Go figure.

I would like to believe the dealer's capacity to fix this car was merely "untapped." My wife would say they had a compelling reason to fix the SRX if only to get rid of me. Does it matter?

I wanted to convey one thing: short of a satisfactory, reasonable, and timely outcome from my perspective, I would not have hesitated to elevate to the GM of the dealership, swap horses (dealers), and get my attorney and the MA states attorney general's office involved on a lemon law action to get what I have a right to expect.

None of that was necessary.

I feel bad for those who do not have my dealer. They delivered.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Mine is an 09' with the Power 3rd Seat and 20XXX miles.

St Louis has gone through the worst Monsoon Rainy Season ever in my history of living here... and I drove my SRX in the rain every day of it!

Opened her up this morning and flipped the seat - - NOTHING... DRY AS A BONE.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones... or GM figured out how to stop the water.

Time will tell I guess.

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

I have srx bought in 04 didn't started to leak until after four years of ownership. It was leaking at lower body seem, drip check in seam and new seal. Haven't noticed any mosture yet.

DavidfromNJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidfromNJ View Post
    According to a guy I ran into by chance, he happens to teach auto body shop, and has a 2009 SRX...he says the water comes from puddles splashing up and into the car. There is an improper seal, or plug that is not plugged. Too bad I didn't get this guy's name as we happen by chance to strike a conversation while in the super market parking lot. I hope it's the latter (a plug) which can easily be replaced versus a seal which requires a more intense effort. I'm bringing the car to the dealer for the 3rd time for this problem. I have a 2004 SRX
    The dealer "traced" the leak (after I told them where it is) to an improper seal by the rear compartment. Supposedly they sealed it, I say supposedly because I've caught this dealer (Malouf - New Brunswick) on other occasions to have "performed" a job, but did it half assed, which I called them out on. It's only been a week since the fix, and so far no additional water. And we haven't really driven the car in the rain yet, which will be the real test.

I don't understand why GM expects people to buy their cars when they are of poor quality and then have to deal with a service department who is as incompetent as their cars. This will be my last GM car, or American car for that matter.

David.....if you read this entire thread (14 pages?) you will find that the varied sources (entry points) of the water accumulation under the the rear storage bin was identified in many different places. Fender well seals, tail light seals, rear hatch lights, rear hatch seal, rear hatch pinch weld, rear washer hose, Ultraview panel......and the list goes on. One poster actually hired an outside firm whose expertise was in finding leaks.

All dealer's service departments are not equal, but they are stuck with what engineering and manufacturing has passed on to them. The rear water problem is like finding a needle in a haystack. Except with water leak, the hay and the needle are not exposed.

What concerns me is that GM's tracking of such issues with the SRX from 2004 models through 2008 (and 2009?) did not seem to either correct the problems up front or assist service techs to pinpoint the most likely source of the leak.

By the way, like you I used this forum and another to do research. I bought an SRX despite knowing its shortcomings (leak, Ultraview) because I wanted what I wanted and felt I could make the SRX work out. Perhaps you feel the same.

moveebuff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX

Water in the jack storage compartment is a common problem. When I first bought my 2004 SRX I checked this forum and was advised to look into the jack storage area and sure enough it was soaked and rusting. Fortunately mine was under warranty and the dealer fixed the problem. Don't let the dealer tell you that it is anything other than a design issue.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.